PDA

View Full Version : TD alternator/battery issues

Christ
08-11-07, 07:38 PM
I posted this on mig but Thought I would chance posting it here too!

I recently bought a cavalier TD for the winter months.

The car had sat unused over the weekend, I went to start it on monday and it turned over very slowly but didnt start, I jump started it, drove it 80 miles that night and in the morning it started first time and drove fine

I searched the forums here and found alternators can be a common problem on these engines.

The car has sat all night without moving. I first checked the voltage across the battery, it was >12volts. I turned the key and no battery light came on, I drove the car up some ramps, popped the bonnet and checked the battery voltage while it was running, 12.1volts.

Suggests alternator is bugered? However I let the car idle a while, revved it up, switched it off/on again checked for battery light and it comes on after a few seconds delay, not instant like the oil, brake, glow plug light. I started the car again and the battery was showing 14.5volts whilst running.

Is there any more checks I can do to find the problem?

Projectjordan
08-11-07, 08:53 PM
have you changed the relay in the driver side kick panel, it sorts the charging system out, and if you dont change that too, u'll just keep cooking alternators...

craig green
09-11-07, 11:15 AM
I'd check/renew any earths in & around the battery & engine area tbh. Min played up a treat but was just bad earths.

Renew the one from gearbox to chassis.