PDA

View Full Version : Wrong club i know but.....Rover BRM

5T1G
07-11-07, 11:44 AM
Been offer i nice Rover BRM as a part ex, anyone got any first hand experince. When i drove the car it felt really nice and tight, corners lovely with the diff. Just seems to lack the power punch that the RS has :confused:

Anyone owned one?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/5t1g/BRM.jpg

NovaLad
07-11-07, 11:45 AM
My dad has a rover and it's sh1te don't get 1 lol.. + The company went bust so what's the point you won't be able to get parts in a couple of years haha!

Welsh Dan
07-11-07, 11:50 AM
Parts will still be available NoobieLad16, all the big parts firms will still be producing them as there is still demand.

I'd have to paint that awful grille though lol.

Riggy
07-11-07, 11:51 AM
lol you will always be able to get parts either 3rd party manufactured or by the chinese people that bought rover when they grow there production back up

as for the car ive never been in one of them but i always hated the orange grill lol

5T1G
07-11-07, 11:53 AM
I quite like the grill colour, bit different. Plus have you guys seen the interior on these boys, will try and dig up a pic!

5T1G
07-11-07, 11:55 AM
Wal-ah

Lovely seats and interior, plus wipe clean n drainage holes!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/5t1g/brmseat.jpg

nova---chris
07-11-07, 12:25 PM
Only major issues i find with rovers is head gaskets.

Looks quite nice from pics.

L33 LEG
07-11-07, 12:29 PM
neighbour used to have one of them, i liked it and the grill but i can see a lot of people just laughing at you and thinking that you've just sprayed your standard grill orange.

that interior looks awful tho, imo.

Dan 130
07-11-07, 01:13 PM
iirc correctly all remaining parts were bought out by jcb and they all have about a 300% mark up on all parts so not cheap if you get genuine bits

Saloony
07-11-07, 01:24 PM
They handle really well, the lsd really pull it round. But it will always be ****e due to the engine. Headgasket blows more times than you'll ever remember, plus it being a vvc will make it double expensive.

Jack
07-11-07, 01:30 PM
I never understood why the front scoop is orange - there's one round here like that, I just assumed it was a replacement part. I'm guessing thats factory standard then?!

My dad has a rover and it's sh1te don't get 1 lol.. + The company went bust so what's the point you won't be able to get parts in a couple of years haha!
Parts are readily available - and no doubt will be for a looong time - as there's still a massive demand for them. My dad had a '74 Dolomite; BRL are long gone but he never had any issues finding parts.

Stuart
07-11-07, 01:54 PM
its a special (needs) edition, hence the orange grille and ummm unique interior lol.

the head gaskets are "ok" if you warm the engine up nicely before thrashing the nuts off it, and if you fit an elise type thermostat setup.

Wouldnt like one myself but if its an "ok" car for minimal cash then take it.

dave.gsi
07-11-07, 08:16 PM
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/images/smiles/rofl.gif what are you swapping it for?.......anal warts?

heap of s.hit and no mistake.

its a rover..............

with a bright orange grille.....................

and a wooden steering wheel.................

and drain holes in the seats for your colostomy bag.

Dave.
07-11-07, 08:28 PM
its a rover.... its bound to be bad lol

Royston
07-11-07, 08:50 PM
its a rover.... its bound to be bad lol

My other car is a Rover, it's not bound to be bad;)

mind it's a V8:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/DSCF09902.jpg

The BRM is an aquired taste, a Guy I work with has a concourse one, and is at the NEC this weekend, power is standard VVC 1.8 if I remember correctly.

The 25 chassis is quite a good handling car

just vaux trev
07-11-07, 09:12 PM
what else could you get for the same price?

get that instead!

dave.gsi
07-11-07, 09:19 PM
nice........thats probably the only rover i'd ever own.

and thats only for the engine.............

you could put it in a skoda and i'd drive it lol

5T1G
07-11-07, 09:33 PM
I'm (could be) swapping it for my RS, see cars for sale

I though it was generally a good car, low milage, handled brilliantly, i know it wear's the rover badge but that doesn't generally bother me coz, well, my other cars a nova lol

Just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?

By the way that SD1 looks lovely, haven't seen one on the road for years!!!

Saloony
07-11-07, 10:47 PM
Just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?

Yes shocking. There is a headgasket out there for mega money that 'doesnt' blow, bollox. These things are sh1t. Poor cooling system design, rad too thin too cool the engine, heat the engine too quick- gasket blow, heat for too long- gasket blow, loose water-gasket blow, plastic head dowels fitted- gasket blow.... would you like me to carry on??lol

Saloony
07-11-07, 10:49 PM
My other car is a Rover, it's not bound to be bad;)

mind it's a V8:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/DSCF09902.jpg

Mate i knew you had class, but you've gone to a whole new level in my book, fecking awsome car:thumb:

5T1G
07-11-07, 10:51 PM
Yes shocking. There is a headgasket out there for mega money that 'doesnt' blow, bollox. These things are sh1t. Poor cooling system design, rad too thin too cool the engine, heat the engine too quick- gasket blow, heat for too long- gasket blow, loose water-gasket blow, plastic head dowels fitted- gasket blow.... would you like me to carry on??lol

Lol:cry:

What did they do to you!

Saloony
07-11-07, 10:53 PM
Lol:cry:

What did they do to you!
Car mechanic mate, seen it all. 20-30k headgasket. Later ones about 50-60k.

And if you get oil in the water, forget it, loosing battle, new rad required and hours of fun cleaning the water ways.

5T1G
07-11-07, 10:57 PM
Perhaps i'll leave it then, shame coz it drove so nice!

Saloony
07-11-07, 11:04 PM
Perhaps i'll leave it then, shame coz it drove so nice!

Dont get me wrong they do, like 90% of french cars but are an absolute pig.

Welsh Dan
08-11-07, 12:36 AM
XE the f**ker lol?

5T1G
08-11-07, 08:13 AM
^
lol

Stuart
08-11-07, 08:17 AM
Landrover gaskets arent that expensive (as with the metal locating dowels).

fit the elise thermostat setup and you are looking at a better cooling system. again nto "that" expensive.

Sod it, get it cheap and sell it on for mroe without driving. But then you will run into all the totally discriminate people (lots have posted here lol) not wanting it as its a rover....

Saloony
08-11-07, 08:19 AM
Landrover gaskets arent that expensive (as with the metal locating dowels).

fit the elise thermostat setup and you are looking at a better cooling system. again nto "that" expensive.

Sod it, get it cheap and sell it on for mroe without driving. But then you will run into all the totally discriminate people (lots have posted here lol) not wanting it as its a rover....
Or just dont water in it, wont leak then:thumb:

dave.gsi
08-11-07, 06:37 PM
thats a tricky one...........really nice RS, or a green and orange rover :wtf:

hmm, let me think about that for a while and i'll get back to you :p

Philsutton
08-11-07, 07:48 PM
Cough "Rover coupe engine" Cough

Lee
08-11-07, 08:18 PM
An old work collegue had an early one. Drove very well. But it has a K series, and id avoid those more than a ford CVH lol

I bet an XE would go in there a treat though, due to caterhams using XE's and K series engines, therefore I would imagine the mounting isnt hugely different. My business partner has an MGF sat outside my workshop which I have a cunning plan to fit a LET to at some point in the future when im feeling brave lol ANd yes, that has nice gloopy white oil and a cracked head!

As for the SD1... pure class! I think the best bit about the whole car is the awesome way they change them from left to right hookers. Just remove the steering column and stick a grill over the hole, and then remove the grill on the othr side and stick the column through it lol lol then just un stick the clocks and no more nails them onto the other side! Genius!