PDA

View Full Version : declaring your engine?

ReeceH
07-11-07, 10:54 AM
when you send your v5 off to declare youve put a 2.0 in a nova. do you then have to get it sva tested or whatever? or do they just send you back the new changed v5?

some people i know are saying they didnt have to,but couple says they did :S

Riggy
07-11-07, 10:56 AM
i just got mine back when i changed mine on both my nova's

General Baxter
07-11-07, 10:57 AM
its if you go the other way you have to get it checked lol

ReeceH
07-11-07, 11:05 AM
its if you go the other way you have to get it checked lol
from a 2.0 back to a 1.2? lol

paul james
07-11-07, 11:05 AM
So you only need a test if you go from a bigger capacity engine to a smaller one, thats crazy.

Basically then they aren't bothered if a car is safe or not, only that your not lying about having a smaller engine to pay lower car tax.

alan b
07-11-07, 11:06 AM
i just changed mine over here in ireland its very harsh altogether, i need to get an engineers report andfthen if it passes no insurance company will cover me!

Ste L
07-11-07, 11:09 AM
So you only need a test if you go from a bigger capacity engine to a smaller one, thats crazy.

it's not for safty, it's if you trying to get cheap tax, by saying engine's in the smaller tax bracket etc

Matt2107
07-11-07, 01:05 PM
I thought you had to have an engineers report now if your changing tax bracket regardless of whether its up or down.

Jack
07-11-07, 01:20 PM
Changes to the cylinder capacity (engine size)

If there has been a decrease in your cylinder capacity that affects the rate of vehicle tax you pay, you must produce written evidence to the DVLA showing details of the new engine number and cylinder capacity (cc).

Written evidence can be:

a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

If you increase the engine size you do not need to produce any evidence.
Source (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054)

John
07-11-07, 01:30 PM
I've recently sent my logbook off, and i've had a complete mare with it. At first the dvla sent it back, saying there was nothing they could do until the current 1.2 tax expires, then i'd have to take it to a local dvla office, where they would check it (presumably the engine no) And issue the correct price rfl. So currently mine is still on as a 1.2 and the dvla are fully aware that it's got an xe in. I'm sure lltn had the same problems too.

Adam
07-11-07, 05:44 PM
Source (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054) Yep, that information was comfirmed wrong, after about 8 phone calls by me to dvla head officelol

Now DVLA randomly request evidence when changing tax groups whether going up or down.

As John said, i had a fookin nightmare with mine. First it came back with 998cc as the Engine cc :roll:lol
So that went back, they then requested written evidence to support the change(i was going from 1389cc to 1598cc).
I tried a lot of garages, none of which could help as they didn't fit the engine itself.
In the end i went to a Vauxhall dealer, and had to pay an hours labour for one of there people to go "yeah, that engine numbers correct" :roll:

The office/admin team then typed the details onto Vauxhall headed paper, and printed them. Which the DVLA then accepted. They dont ask for the extra tax, you have to get a refund on your old disc, and get a new disc with the new engine CC details. Then the next tax renewal form has the correct details on.

In all, they had my logbook for around 4months. And i was ?40 down.
As if id be lying and wanting to pay the DVLA an extra ?100 in tax, the fcuking idiots.

Oh, btw- Iain did the same change as me, 1.4 to a 1.6, and he got his new logbook back in about 2week, with the new details on, no questions asked :wtf:
Just shows its an entirely random checking process, they must just pick out every few logbook applications to check up on.

Anyways, ive had a bad day at work.

Rant over :mad: lol

Iain
07-11-07, 05:51 PM
Rant

You missed that your logbook now says 1589cc instead of 1598cc lol:p So after all that it's still not correct.

Adam
07-11-07, 05:53 PM
Fack off lol lol
Aye, true,Lol.
At least its in the right tax band tho, so **** it.

Where was my txt back last night? I was looking forward to a reply :(

Iain
07-11-07, 06:04 PM
Where was my txt back last night? I was looking forward to a reply :(

I was in a big double bed with company, texting you back wasn't a priority. :)

To justify this thread hijack: As Adam said I had no problems what so ever with the DVLA. They returned my logbook, modified, with no questions asked. So they're not always complete tossers, just normally. lol

Adam
07-11-07, 06:06 PM
I was in a big double bed with company, texting you back wasn't a priority. :)

lollollol

chris gsi
07-11-07, 08:13 PM
when i changed mine v5 from 1.6 to 2.0 i had no problems but my insurance company wanted a engineer's report which was easy as i did it lol

Lee H
08-11-07, 07:03 PM
All the ones i've changed have been ok, just sent back to me with the new info on. Probably have trouble with the latest one though as its been cursed since I bought it.

Adam
08-11-07, 07:09 PM
Lol