PDA

View Full Version : Sport Carbs

5T1G
06-11-07, 05:33 PM
hi guys,

I've got a gte engine running a pair of sport carbs. Does anyone have a link to an artical that can tell me how to tune them, also i'm aware you can buy a kit to rebuild them? Any more infomation on this, i.e. can you only buy the kit direct from webber or are there other suppliers out there that can help?

The car itself feels quite flat in 4th gear around the 3500-5000rpm mark, also when sometimes turning into a junction, say in 2nd gear, you go to put your put down and the engine just seems to bog down for a couple of seconds then all of sudden power and wheelspin and tyre smoke and the other associated factors of running carbs.:thumb:

All help appricated!

Adam
06-11-07, 05:52 PM
FastRoadcars on ebay sell the rebuild kits.

Sounds like then need setting up for your engine.
Especially if there still choked for a sport engine.

5T1G
06-11-07, 06:03 PM
I'm very green to carbs, adjusting the idle on my r/c cars is about as far as i've got!

When i bought the car the chap selling it "said" that he had to sort of de-tune them so to pass the emmisions or somthing and that it would benifit from getting re set up properly. I'm in two minds really as to rebuild them myself and attempt to tune them, rebuild them myself and then get the car set up on a rolling road which would also sort the fueling or just hand the car to a garage and say you do it!

Who's got experience in rebuilding carbs, care to give a haynes spanner count?

Adam
06-11-07, 06:07 PM
Aye, sounds like the guy backed the mix right off, to get it through a mot emissions test.

Rebuilding the carbs is easy, just a few screws, new gaskets, and screw back togther.
2 out of 5 for haynes spanner count :) Lol

garyc
06-11-07, 06:34 PM
tbh the first thing I would do is check the choke size in the carb. iirc a set of 4 chokes aint cheap. If they are geniune sport carbs I'd sell them and get a set of webers with the correct choke size.

The only place to get them set up is a RR, as long as chokes and emulsion tubes are in the right ball park should be quite quick to sort out.

paul james
06-11-07, 06:45 PM
To pass the MOT, you only need the IDLE emissions to be below the required amount, doesn't matter what the emissions are higher in the rev range. So if the guy had any sense he would have just turned the 4 idle mixture screws clockwise a bit, they are at the bottom of the carbs (towards the front of the car), and perhaps the idle rev screw.

Adam
06-11-07, 07:06 PM
You can only adjust the idle mix on dcoe's.
The other mix is controlled by the jet/emulsion setups.

Oh, and it has to pass fast idle(3000rpm) emissions too ;)

paul james
06-11-07, 07:29 PM
Oh, and it has to pass fast idle(3000rpm) emissions too

I don't think thats right. Mine was tested today and they only get one reading, and thats from idle.

I think they will do a visual smoke test at higher revs on cars old enough not to need connecting to an emissions tester.

Dec16v
07-11-07, 08:34 PM
Get yourself one of these (I got mine from eBay):

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/Declan1979/Carbs5.jpg

Austin_Nova16
08-11-07, 12:01 PM
Head over to Mid-Sussex Rolling road for a tune up - after you've re-built them if thats the plan. They're based in Horsham, and i've heard good feedback about them...

:thumb:

5T1G
08-11-07, 06:51 PM
You don't mean Sussex Performance do you?

Dec16v
08-11-07, 08:48 PM
Southern Carbs in Wimbledon are worth a look.

Austin_Nova16
09-11-07, 11:49 AM
Yeah mate, thats the one.
A guy next to us at work who prepares historic race cars uses them and says they're good.

However, I've not been there myself, I last west to Redline up in Heathrow (before I knew about the Horsham outfit).

5T1G
09-11-07, 01:43 PM
Yes, i have used them before. Their main interest was porchese (spl) if i remeber correctly. They have a really good chap their i can't remeber his name used to his run own company around Horsham was "his name Engineering" he design one of the best rally cams for the pinto engine. It will be bugging me know i can't remember his name:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

5T1G
09-11-07, 01:44 PM
Was Ike like pike but without the p lol

Ike engineering