PDA

View Full Version : Will it fit?

neiloakley
26-06-02, 07:21 PM
I have a 2.0i 8v astra engine coming out of a 1.3sr going into another 1.3sr. (twisted the chassis)

Question is, will the 2.0i come out from the top without seperating it from the g/box or would i either need to seperate it or take it our from below?

Also wil the 1.3sr engine come out the top or do i need to do the saem with that?

Wanna try and avoid seperating the engine and box cos they are only gunna have to go back together afterwards.

Ta

craigapuk
26-06-02, 07:33 PM
what made it twist the chassis, and if it did it why bother putting it back into the same chassis again? I know my 5 speed box sticks out of a hole made for it in the passanger wheel arch so removal while attached to the engine would require housting the drivers side of the engine first and removing it at a 45 degree angle. Probably have to do the same your end, but wouldnt like to see it happen to be honest.

neiloakley
26-06-02, 11:37 PM
it's not going back in the same shell. It's going in a new UNTWISTED one. Only a moronic lepracorn (spelling?) would dream of doing that.

The chassis was twisted to MR F. Fiesta of 33 I HAVE RIGHT OF WAY road, C*&Tville.

So can i take 2.0i 8v out without seperating it from box? or will i have to drop it out (or seperate it)

barnes
27-06-02, 12:49 AM
take it out from the bottom its much much easier due to the size etc of the engine

Ste_Nova
27-06-02, 09:41 AM
take it out the bottom.... just cut the top pannel off the twisted one to make it easier

neiloakley
27-06-02, 09:45 AM
how do i lift the car up? i have an engine crane but where would i attach it to? Also, once the engine is on the floor, how do i get the car off of it? i understand that i have to lift it up, but then how do i move the car away from the engine?

ade
27-06-02, 11:26 AM
get yerself a garage with a pit in it? that way you can lower the engine into the pit and roll the car out of the way. You'll need to have something to put in the pit to support the engine that can be lowered pas the clearence of the car. some kind of trolley to lower it - or alternatively use yer engine crane to take initial weight, then once free from the car, (& I dunno if u can do this so go with it for now) lower the engine crane to lower engine through car onto some kind of support in the pit - then unhook and roll car away.

Or something like that... :roll:

barnes
27-06-02, 11:56 AM
unbolt the engine, lower it onto the floor, then use the crane to hoist the car up over the engine, then pull the engine out from underneath. to re fit, a reversal of that

neiloakley
27-06-02, 02:04 PM
would i need to take the d/s's out of the box or can i leave them in? Wanna make it as easy as possible to put it all back together

Ste_Nova
27-06-02, 02:15 PM
yup ds can stay in....

when i did my 16v conversion i lifted the car up and put 4 wheels under each side slid the engine underneath then lifted the car again and removed 2 wheels then lowered the car then pulled the engine up into the hole

neiloakley
27-06-02, 02:38 PM
where is the best place to lift it up from?

Ste_Nova
27-06-02, 03:15 PM
i just had 2 bits of rope onto the bumper bar brackets

neiloakley
27-06-02, 11:29 PM
would a skateboard take the weight of the big block? i am a bit limited for space and as much as i wish i could, like ade says, my mum wont let me dig a pit in the drive. So i was wondering if i coul dlower the engine ontoa skate board then just wheel out the way.

will it work?

barnes
27-06-02, 11:48 PM
it might work if you put a bigger thicker bit of wood onto the skateboard. bear in mind the fact that the sump isnt flat and the engine will still need held up on the skateboard as you move it to stop it from falling,

i wrapped rope around the cross member when i lifted mine up

neiloakley
27-06-02, 11:52 PM
prob makes me sound really dumb, but where is the cross member?

barnes
28-06-02, 12:07 AM
you know the big bit of metal behind ur front bumper, underneath where the bonet sits. ie where the front bumper irons come out from, thats the cross member.

on old novas that had them really small and crap front bumpers the cross member could still be seen.

you know what i mean????? ive got a pic somewhere if you want it emailed, also shows that i took my 16v out from the bottom, lol

paulrobo
28-06-02, 04:46 AM
only idiots put the engine in throught the top ah Barnes??? lol :roll: :roll:

Ste_Nova
28-06-02, 09:06 AM
dicko put his engine in through the top :roll:

neiloakley
28-06-02, 11:24 AM
would i need to take of the front anit-roll bar and tie bars for it to fit out the bottom?
Also, is 1.3sr accel cable and clutch cable suitable for 2.0?

Ste_Nova
28-06-02, 11:56 AM
yup tie bars off

cable = use 2.0 one

barnes
30-06-02, 02:45 AM
well dicko is a brave lad then ste coz them 16v's are fairly big block to have sitting at 45 degrees while twisting the box under the chasis leg in a nova, feck me, i aint doing that. no chance

in from the bottom mate, much, much easier. especially on 2litres

1200,1300,1400,1600s in from the top though, never the bottom coz its a waste of time

kevw
30-06-02, 01:02 PM
This is how we did stes...

http://www.novaload.net/files/kev/ste2ljack.jpg

barnes
30-06-02, 02:04 PM
and here was ste telling us he did it all on his own?????

fair play about it coming out the bottom when ur putting a 16v in, but if yer not, why bother coz you need to unbolt tie bars anti roll bar etc etc blah blah where a small block like that needs engine mounts unbolted drive shafts out and out through the top. much easier and takes a lot less time

neiloakley
30-06-02, 11:29 PM
barnes, i am only putting in a 2.0 8v but surely this will still not fit from the top without separating it from box?

Is it only tie bars i need to take off or what about hubs and all?

I'm changing the suspension and brakes so shall i just take it all off, put the engine in, then put brakes and suspension back in?

http://customize.9f.com/damage%20close.jpg

neiloakley
30-06-02, 11:37 PM
barnes, i am only putting in a 2.0 8v but surely this will still not fit from the top without separating it from box?

Is it only tie bars i need to take off or what about hubs and all?

I'm changing the suspension and brakes so shall i just take it all off, put the engine in, then put brakes and suspension back in?

http://www.customize.9f.com/damage%20close.jpg

barnes
01-07-02, 05:08 AM
id say it would fit in from the top to be honest, its just that im 99% sure that thats just stupid to do it that way.

if ur changing brakes and suspension, just drop the lot out then. put engine in then re bolt all the rest

Ste_Nova
01-07-02, 09:41 AM
kev we need to post the rest of the pics.....

p.s. barnes i had quite a few visitors during the engine fitting

kevw
01-07-02, 11:05 AM
quite a few visitors?
exxxxcussseee meee lol

Get it right... I came to urs straight from work everynight for a week, in the cold and rain... lol

Ste_Nova
01-07-02, 01:46 PM
lol and i worked on it from 9am everyday.... including the day it snowed

neiloakley
15-07-02, 03:05 PM
the fuel pump wires to red/blue from ecu and is the other wire just an earth? do i need a tank from an injection model or will a standard one do??