PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 16v twin turbo

Ric 16v
26-06-02, 05:36 PM
has any 1 done a 2.0 16v twin turbo conversion before or heard of 1 !!!

Dicko
26-06-02, 07:00 PM
well for a tein turbo dont u need something like a v6 engine? with 2 manifolds, there fore 2 turbos?

cornish
26-06-02, 09:55 PM
Or one turbo per two exhaust ports?

neiloakley
26-06-02, 11:50 PM
as soon as you put your foot down, your gunna loose traction. Novas are too light to deal with the sudden power that two turbos could develop. Best stick to single turbo or just develop a straight 2.0 so it develops lots of power thru the whole rev range. Then power will be a lot more controllable and the car will inevitably be quicker and have better handling characterisitcs. Only down side is you wont get the nice wooooosh!!! as you lift you foot!

Ben (lurk75)
27-06-02, 12:02 AM
surely if your only running a turbo of 2 exhaust ports you are only going to be running it on half power???? so this would completely be a waste of having two turbos as the two combined would only kick out the same as one running all four ports?????
But i too agree that you would be better of with a straight forward 2.0l lump due to the sudden power bursts being to powerful for the little car.

neiloakley
27-06-02, 12:07 AM
i think what was meant when he said one turbo/two exhaust ports was have one turbo for every pair of exhaut ports. So 1+3 would have one turbo, 2+4 would have a seperate turbo. But anyway, crap idea. Still think you should mod a two litre,

barnes
27-06-02, 12:47 AM
not necessarily true.

some cars that are twin turbo have the first turbo run down low revs then have the second one kick in at high revs, ie both run one manifold.

well, im pretty sure of that.

as for 2litre 16v twin turbo, why not??? some muppet put a turbo on a 1400sr so might aswell.

as for novas loosing traction so a twin turbo not been any good, you been in a 16v in the wet???? your kidding if you think that that doesnt loose traction. my cavvy gsi turbo, ie front wheel drive 6 speed lights up in 4th in the wet when u hit boost and will go all the way into 6th spinning. so feck me, if u think a twin turbo is gonn abe bad, try a single turbo in a 2 tonne car mate, absolutely loony.

basically, it all comes down to money and stupidity.

Ben (lurk75)
27-06-02, 08:59 AM
As i say i dont really know a lot about that sort of thing, just sounded like common sense but as you say there are some people about who dont give a shit about that! and just wanna try and kill em selves, ive done 130 in a nova and certainly dont wanna go any faster!

neiloakley
27-06-02, 09:48 AM
i did 139 in my nova then as i was slowing down i heard a sqeaking coming from n/s rear wheel. Then all of a sudden i lost the back end. Pulled onto hard shoulder and got recovery. When i got home, i had totally demolished the bearing. It had part welded onth the stub axle. So now i limit myself to 120 and check the bearings regularly.

Ben (lurk75)
27-06-02, 10:00 AM
i had only had my GSI for about a week and was going down the M32 and thought would test it out! the motorway is only small and there is a dodgy lane swapping bit, i was doing 130 there and a artic swerved out into the fast lane! when i broke hard the back came round then he pulled back in and i ended up passing him at about 70-80. The second time i done it was 3am and when past a bloody copper! we ended up making a deal on 98mph so i didnt get band. so i tend to take it easier now. but nice to know its there if you need it!

benji
28-06-02, 12:23 AM
barnes is right about the turbos working at different revs in some car's,
That's how the Twin turbo Supra works

Ben (lurk75)
28-06-02, 12:29 AM
as i say aint got a clue was just looking at it logically, dont doubt it at all.