PDA

View Full Version : What carb?

craigapuk
26-06-02, 03:55 PM
I have a 1.2, i want some more power, what carb can i fit to it and what manifold should i get. Its the mk1 nova with the peirburg carb as standard at the mo.

Dan 5door
26-06-02, 04:52 PM
Webber 32/24DTML thingy (think thats right)

and what ever manifold (i presume you mean exhaust as you will need the webber inlet manifold for the carb) you can find for your car...

ade
26-06-02, 05:18 PM
from prev posts (I have a 1.2 and asked similar q) you'll not get big gains on a 1.2 unless u mod the engine lots (and the money u spend u may aswell gfet a bigger lump).
I fitted a K&N filter and will soon be fitting a better back box to help on my 1.2 mk2 - the K&N has made a noticeable difference to the responsiveness of the car especially when driving on motorways. Nice sound too :D
A new K&N will set u back ?60 - decent performance back box anything from ?80+

I lowered my car 60mm (?200) so it handles better too - these modes have also helped increase fuel consumption (must be something to do with being lower centre of gravity and better mixture coz better air)
Not too sure but I aint complaining

Ade

craigapuk
26-06-02, 06:36 PM
im working on a bigger lump but not for my nova. I need my nova too much, i use it for work to and from hungerford, so i cant mod it too much that would mean taking it off the road for a week or two. I am planning on getting another Nova around October time and doing all my mods and stuff to that. I need a lock up first to put the bits that can rust in it :?: Oh well.

To help with my small mods, did you say the inlet m'fold comes with the webber carb or should i get the inlet when i get the carb. I presume you have to buy it as extra. What cars have these manifolds i can lookout for at a scrappy?

Also, the K&N. Is it a filter? sounds it. What does it look like and how does it mount. Also, exhaust manifold. I want a kit to stretch from front to back, so one that includes exhaust m'fold, backbox and tailpipe. What do you suggest.

I have been looking at suspension jobbys for around 213 squids. That should lower the ride height by 60mm. I cut away my arches last night ready for the lowering, getting the two sides top-coated and lackered by my mate on saturday.

barnes
27-06-02, 12:52 AM
the weber carb bolts to the std inlet manifold, you get a mounting plate thing when you buy the carb brand new, or if u get a seconh hadn one, try webcon for one coz they sell all the bits.

but if u use the car for work etc, just keep the engine std as in it wont use much juice

cornish
27-06-02, 09:20 AM
99902224 1 x Base Adaptor ?19.43

From Demon Tweeks.

Rich Dale
03-07-02, 05:51 AM
nonononono......you will need a 1.3 Nova inlet manifold to fit the Weber 32/34 DMTL (letters in that order) simply 'cos it's a twin choke carb, and your current Pierburg is a single.....the inlet manifolds are totally different.

You then fit the adaptor plate to THAT inlet manifold.

You can pick up these carbs second hand if you know where to look......often need rebuilding though, but still cheaper than buying new.
I've said this a few hundred times, but mine cost ?15 off a mate including the inlet manifold. In fact, it came off a 1.3SR my mate was stripping so was a case of un-bolt from that car and bolt onto mine....all adaptor plates included.
It needed reconditioning though, but that was only ?28 for the kit. Job done, with total cost for re-conned carb etc coming to ?43
Bargain!

OR...one other option which you could consider is getting a Pierburg 2E3 from any post 86 1.3
You need the manifold anyway so you might get the carb at the same time for not a lot. It's got a stupid bugger auto-choke though so might not be worth the hassle......different heater piping etc.