PDA

View Full Version : What is it about Nova's?

SRimon
03-11-07, 09:38 PM
That makes you always want another one? No matter how good a car you have...you always want another!?!

I've been saving hard, chances are by christmas i'll have matched what I have in other savings so i'll be able to go looking again....

I've had many cars that are better than Nova's yet, I always find myself looking back and regretting......

General Baxter
03-11-07, 09:45 PM
That makes you always want another one? No matter how good a car you have...you always want another!?!

I've been saving hard, chances are by christmas i'll have matched what I have in other savings so i'll be able to go looking again....

I've had many cars that are better than Nova's yet, I always find myself looking back and regretting......

thats just like saying there rusty bits of ****e, gimmi one lol

so true tho :thumb:

euro sbd
03-11-07, 10:10 PM
lol i sold my 2001 mercedes s class to build this latest one, im bloody mad i know

nova---chris
03-11-07, 10:13 PM
Its knowing certain nova interiors match there burberry owners outfit.
They have extra head height for cap wearers ' Also enough room to fit 10 mates in the back at maccys. And the final lure of the nova is the 1.4 engine that powers the 1000stone of meat in the back from 0 to 60 in 7 seconds (according to most owners)
Also any dole scrounger / failing students can afford them !

Some positives from a long living nova owner! :) (note owner not a driver) :thumb:

CP
03-11-07, 10:36 PM
Its one word - character.

Plus there is something of the marmite about them - either love or hate em there's no middle ground really

craig green
03-11-07, 11:02 PM
Novas are the new MIni. So tuneable, many options of bodywork, engines etc. Easy to work on, iconic looks & the main thing IMO, the car really captured the imagination of a certain generation that use the car as an ongoing way of hanging onto their youth.

Once you've seen a few show stoppers, you know you have to build one of your own.

nova---chris
03-11-07, 11:09 PM
you guys are gonna start making me sentimental about me nova in a minute! :cry:

Adam
03-11-07, 11:15 PM
Lol
I kind of agree with CG,but theres far 'better' cars of the same era to choose from tho(205 gti etc)
Novas were never nothing special.
I dont see myself owning another nova in the future tbh. I might look back at this post in ten years time tho lol

euro sbd
03-11-07, 11:32 PM
i just love boxes on wheels, especially ones with euro arch flairs and wheel bearing crushing 9" wide wheels lol

Mike
03-11-07, 11:41 PM
IMO there so sh1t there just ace lol

craig green
03-11-07, 11:42 PM
Lol
I kind of agree with CG,but theres far 'better' cars of the same era to choose from tho(205 gti etc)

205's were a better car from the factory, granted.

But spending money on tuning bits for a Nova is money better spent, more effective, easier & the car is more robust - long term.

Swapping suspension or brakes on a std Nova makes a massive improvement to the whole Nova experience. People love tinkering with them, add to that GM's compatiblity of bits from accross all models etc & The Nova became addictive to youndg modifyers.

just vaux trev
03-11-07, 11:43 PM
i cant stop i'm going have a look at what could be no 4 to my colection so far
tomorrow,
agree with the marmite thing but also think prices and options are a good point i had a 205 1.9gti and swapped it for a 1.4 sr nova and tbh i did'nt like the 205 most newer cars (small) are not realy small cars ie mini corsa (vxr shape) they're not small sports hatches anymore the nova is a good size imo

SRimon
03-11-07, 11:54 PM
Once you've seen a few show stoppers, you know you have to build one of your own.

Exactley my problem...

I see so many Nova's I really like, but would make a few minor changes, I could take that myself and make my ideal Nova. Not even my Porsche blue one was perfect, and I built that from ground up.

ade
04-11-07, 12:26 AM
It's the tinker factor I think.
Lots of people I know scoff when I say I'm building a custom Nova
"Why a Nova"
Why not I say - cheap to run, parts are cheap (thanks to ebay!), pish all on insurance even when modded etc etc
"True" they say...

Ash
04-11-07, 12:40 AM
and for the chav answer....

Coz u can rag 'em and day just wnt mre

CG - as said, 205 is a better car, but were british, we support the underdog.

Solid and simple cars bar the rust, definitely have character. A clean GSi doesn't look as dated as a 205, etc

euro sbd
04-11-07, 12:42 AM
IMO there so sh1t there just ace lol

lol lol lol

DTR-DEVIL
04-11-07, 12:45 AM
Novas too me are the Best Looking car around, Such style and Unique'ness inspired me to Travel the 3 hours to get it! and to spend all my week wages on it! but tbh. I dont care. I like em! :)

adam c
04-11-07, 01:15 AM
i think its the grin factor!everytime i get in it it just makes me smile such fun little cars imo.

RJM25R
04-11-07, 10:39 AM
When I was 15, a lad older than me who was involved in go-karting with us had a Calypso Red GTE. They were a brand new car, and I always wanted one. While all my mates wanted MG Metro's and xr2's, I wanted a nova....

SRimon
04-11-07, 11:16 AM
When I was 15, a lad older than me who was involved in go-karting with us had a Calypso Red GTE. They were a brand new car, and I always wanted one. While all my mates wanted MG Metro's and xr2's, I wanted a nova....

Similar, it was always a Nova I wanted when i was that age

Martin
04-11-07, 11:23 AM

1st nova i seen was this one.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/viewfeaturecar.php?ref=3143

it belongs to my mates older brother was one of the 1st modded cars i seen,

he always used to park it ont he shop front on my road and it looked ace under the light, with the steps and peble slopes(shame they've been knocked down now)

the car now is dead, was stolen and burnt out. shame realy..

sicne then ive loved novas and ive owned 4 of them now..

krobinson
04-11-07, 11:28 AM
When I was 14, my brother got a Nova, it was blue and he painted the brakes yellow and fitted a big yellow sunstrip. I loved it.

Also loads of lads my brothers age drove SR's and I really wanted one.

All my nova stuff escalated from this.

d171jvf
04-11-07, 11:49 AM
nova's are a hate thing, not marmite factor, we all hate them, difference is we love to hate them :)

vaughanmc
04-11-07, 12:35 PM
I love the shape, sounds and the simple fact that there simple and easy to make 'your own'

SRimon
04-11-07, 12:37 PM
Reason behind this thread and what got me looking yet again, my neighbour rallies a 1.4 SR, standard, I heard him drive down the lane yesterday, the OHC 8v engine just sounds superb!

Jim Mcrae
04-11-07, 01:23 PM
Get another nova simon, you know you want to......

Adam Moran
04-11-07, 01:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/quipbay.jpg

Need i say anymore Simon???

;)

BIGS
04-11-07, 02:48 PM
he will get another one, i put my gte on it lol. but its not a hate or love thing with nova's everyone loves them but most people dont like to show they really do like them. the amount of people ive let drive my nova's and every time they have a really big grin on there face. and love it

coochiSR
04-11-07, 02:51 PM
Its the fun factor for me, they've got so much potential and it's normally cheap to do too!

scott.parker
04-11-07, 04:29 PM
Well i must admit that when i was a kid i use to walk to school and see one of the lads getting dropped off in a mk3 fiesta xr2i in white, and i always said i would have one... And i did when i was 19 it was my second car, and i loved it when it worked but most of the time hated it and had no faith in it staying in one piece!

When i was at college in 96 though all the lads had nova's etc as they were the "boy racer" car to have, although for me at that point i wanted a R5 GTT lol

Anyway when i had my xr2i i used to slate my two mates who had nova's
both of them had k plate SRi's and another lad had a 998cc white nova, i hated them and use to always rip them for owning rotting nasty nova boxes etc, then when the one lad took me out in this k plate red sri i was shocked..he had only put gmax 60mm full kit on and a KnN and big bore4 and ATE fronts and i could not believe how it felt round bends and the kick that it had on acceleration!
We had little blats against each other and my car won every time, but yet i had already been bitten by the nova bug and the potential it had to offer,so the festie went and i bought the silky'V and never looked back..

Scott

NovaLad
04-11-07, 04:38 PM
I bought one because it was cheap ahha!!!

Then got pulled in by it's charm lol!!!

Jack
04-11-07, 05:49 PM
I wanted something that would be cheap, but relatively quick so I could use it as a runabout instead of the Celica. Toss up between either a 205 GTi/mi16 or Nova XE.

TBH I wish I'd bought the 205 lol

[edit] My first nova, my parents made me buy it off my sister for some rip off price. I didn't want it, i thought they were boyracer cars lol

Riggy
04-11-07, 06:14 PM
lol same as si and rick really , when i was 15 i used to walk past a red sri on the way to the town centre , just fell in love with it , had 17 up to now , granted some were just for parts but :thumb:

spanishfly
06-11-07, 06:11 PM
I always missed my nova. My car life has gone like this:
91 Nova 1600SR (Bought at 17 as std, by 20 twas a 1600 T40),
Astra3 Convertable (Had this as a main car during nova above)
89 Nova SR (Bought it as it was cheap from a mate while owned the above)
Broke 1st Nova, 2nd nova Astra wrote off.
Buy Astra3 GSi (Standard, turned into a LET'd beast R.I.P C20VXR)
Bought Astra Coupe Turbo (as a 2nd car to above Astra)
Broke above astra (still have it sort off), decided I would stay with one car with minor mods.
Realised how much I missed my nova's, bought a 1.0 beast which later turned into the one in my sig.
Bought a SRi as I was drunk on ebay, seemed a good idea, sold that on.

Still own Nova 1.0, ACT, and A3 GSi (although not much owning there really as only a shell)

Why do I go back, there fun, cheap and can be made to be animals:)

SRlew
06-11-07, 08:29 PM
Lol
I dont see myself owning another nova in the future tbh. I might look back at this post in ten years time tho lol

true! if/when i own another im going to have to do loads to it to make it how id want it after having better cars. better driving position etc etc etc

nova_stee
06-11-07, 10:06 PM
every last person in this world loves novas they just wont admit it
novas arnt chav wagons no more there getting even more standard and mint the way they should be (apart from xe or let lol)

let_nova
06-11-07, 10:21 PM
i think its the grin factor!everytime i get in it it just makes me smile such fun little cars imo.

true as said above evry time i get in my nova and i know im going for a good rant somewhere i get that tingly feeling.. . . . .stiff steering . . .solid suspension . . .roar of the xe under the bonnet. . .and this mite sound weird but you always know the sound of a nova door closing..

SRimon
06-11-07, 10:25 PM
and this mite sound weird but you always know the sound of a nova door closing..

LOL odd but very true! A certain cheap sounding catch im sure...

Always tell a Nova with a dropped door too by the ones that bang them shut lol

let_nova
06-11-07, 10:29 PM
dnt know wot it is . . . i crashed one last year and when it happned i said that i would not buy one again after the way it crumpled. . . . . 2 weeks later i was looking as one on ebay. even tho i knew it was wrong i could not help wanting one again. . . .but faster. .

Dar
06-11-07, 10:56 PM
I had an XE engine and needed a small cheap car to put it in to. A Nova seemed to fit the bill nicely. After owning one now for a few years I think they are great little cars to work on. Very simple.

Lee
06-11-07, 11:37 PM
I was much the same as Scott. My fuirst car was a K plate corsa, frankly I fcuking hated the thing. It was rotting pretty much in front of my eyes, and its 1.2 spi was (and still hasnt been beaten) the slowest thing ive EVER driven. My best mate at the time owned a MK2 Golf GTi, so i went out and bought a Jetta GTi and proceded to slowly strip it out and turn it into a moderate track car. Thats when the track bug bit me anyway. I got involved with the Jetta owners club and helped run it. In this time the Jetta went, and I bought a Vento as replacement, but I had to wait a month between cars for insurance purposes.

I had to find an old heap to run about in. I couldnt find a VW cheap enough, so i picked up an old SR with about 2 months MOT left on it for 50 quid. I didnt think much of it TBH, and being a VW nut, i automatically hated it, coupled to the fact my corsa was really crap lol

Then about after a week of owning it, one of the studs holding the KnN onto the carb actually managed to find its way into a cylinder, lunching the valve on its way through! 'Thats that' i thoughyt, but i took the head off just for a laugh to see what damage was done. The piston looked like a mushroom, and the valve had a massive dent in it. I took the valve out and bashed it flat, slapped the head back on it and turned the key. It started, and ran perfectly but for a small missfire on idle!!!!

That was when my head was turned as far as Novas go. I was kind of in awe that the thing could carry on after that much damage! I sold it to someone who was convinced it just needed some new leads lol lol

Carried on in the VW scene for a while, but lost interest due to the amount of attitude most VW owners have. You could be at a show and not one person would speak to you! Then the blue nova appeared on Ebay, and I had a mental 5 minutes where I bid on it for a laugh and won it. About 10 days after i bought the car I found PVG and joined.

About a year later I found myself helping run the club, back into trackdays, and having made a hell of a lot of good friends in the vauxhall community and having 10 times more fun than I ever did in ze german mobiles!

Bottom line is, i dont think its just the car, I think its the other people who are into them too that makes it for me, and Im glad im in a position to make sure the community goes from strength to strength, and meet more like minded people, and make more friends.

I also hope my car doesnt blow up again.

novarobbo
07-11-07, 12:44 AM
i agree with what afew people have said! i really hate them im on my 3rd now though went from a redtop corsa to a 2.0 8v nova lol and i still hate it! but somehow i still think i'll have another nova not after this one but there will be another sometime! dont know why as i really do hate them :confused:

Jack
07-11-07, 08:17 AM
Bottom line is, i dont think its just the car, I think its the other people who are into them too that makes it for me
Very much so. Thats one thing that does my nut about certain japanese car clubs, they're extremely exclusive - I could rant more but I won't lol

[edit] I still prefer the celica though :D

Riggy
07-11-07, 10:38 AM
I sold it to someone who was convinced it just needed some new leads lol lol

FPMSL lee- bad seller hahahalol

matthew172
07-11-07, 04:03 PM
well ive managed to find a immaculate 30k 1 owner nova life that lives at my home town, and today i approached the owner to find out the car has been for sale for ages (feck knows were he has had it advertised!) and might have just sold to a chav that was intending on using it through the winter as a dog around! how fecking mad was i when leaving you have no idea!!

i just left my number and said if it falls through i have cash waiting for it

bastid chavs!

ReeceH
07-11-07, 04:22 PM
well ive managed to find a immaculate 30k 1 owner nova life that lives at my home town, and today i approached the owner to find out the car has been for sale for ages (feck knows were he has had it advertised!) and might have just sold to a chav that was intending on using it through the winter as a dog around! how fecking mad was i when leaving you have no idea!!

i just left my number and said if it falls through i have cash waiting for it

bastid chavs!
gan bend him owa and sort him up the rear end manners!

im chasing an old man round carlisle who owns a mint mk1 nova saloon with 27k miles!!!

boffer8
07-11-07, 07:11 PM
For me there is only one answer, when i start my nova up and hear the glorious sound of twin 40's on a 1.3 8v engine in a rally car!! there aint nothing that sounds any better to me!

Timmy
08-11-07, 12:17 AM
I have had Three now. there so much fun to drive, good old fashion fun. just spanked ?60 in pertol since getting er runing lst thursday, i realy did miss driving my nova dn no i may have to miss it mroe when i if i get a ban. i relly love my car and with all the work iv put in to it i really do love you drive her about.
they sstill have a bad image but they are getting rare now and have a very retro image.
I love it

Steve
08-11-07, 01:03 AM
Sure this sort of post has come up before, but I like novas due to the fact that all modern cars look utter crap, novas are cheap to buy, run, repair etc. and I just like the old cars, being born in the 80s I used to always see mk1 fiestas, novas, mk1 cavs everyday, just a shame most of them are dead now.

Plus buying a low mileage car and modifying it is still so cheap!

ReeceH
08-11-07, 09:47 AM
mate of mine recently had a bump in his clio v6 and when he posted a price list of parts,it just reminded why i love old vauxhalls

front bumper mesh... ?342 + vat!!!!!

one pair of silver side pods... ?1089 + vat!!

inner front arch liners.. ?252 + vat per side

one door skin ?790 + vat (unpainted)

v6 aluminium gearknob sphere...?402!!!!!

pair of side skirts.... brace yourself....... ?2850 + vat (unpainted)

Jim
09-11-07, 09:05 AM
My uncle bought a brand new 1.4 SR in 1991. At the time of him owning it I, like many others of my age, wanted to own a hot hatch for my first car. I said to my uncle that I'd buy it off him when he sells it. It wasn't until I was in my 3rd year of uni and was at a stage where I seriously needed/could afford a car that my uncle mentioned he was selling his Nova. I knew the car had been well looked after and bought it from him.

9 years on and I still have it. Been through many ups and most recentley a fair few downs with it and I've come up to many cross-roads where the car could have been stripped and sold. I've always asked myself why I never sold the car to fund something better. Without boring you all even more I've realised why I must keep the Nova going.

Like Lee, I've met a lot of good friends via the Nova scene. Whilst I'm no longer into the Nova scene as much as I was 4 years ago, I still remain in contact with a lot of people from past years and I wouldn't be working where I am today had it not been for the Nova scene.

paulnova
09-11-07, 03:11 PM
even tho im 22yrs old driving a black Nova GSi rep and i look like a 17yr old chav, i've had ten novas now!lol there are mechano sets more complicated than novas, there so ace, people laugh at me for owning so many, you just can't explain what it is that makes them so addictive.

i had a corsa for about a year and a half after my SRi, i couldn't wait to get another nova and get rid of the corsa! now i've got my tenth its never going lol lol

L33 LEG
09-11-07, 03:26 PM
i have paul to thank for making me LOVE novas. very hard to explain to people why theyre so ace. but iv noticed that the people who slate them have never driven one. as soon as you drive one, even tho you feel like a chav and probably drive like one, itl be the most entertaining drive you've ever had.

and to be fair, they were so ahead of theyre time. wide arches as standard, colour coded interior, leccy windows, two tone paintjobs, lights in sun visors Lol, and so on. they have so much character!

NovaLad
09-11-07, 03:29 PM
But iv noticed that the people who slate them have never driven one. as soon as you drive one, even tho you feel like a chav and probably drive like one, itl be the most entertaining drive you've ever had.

It's the same with old minis, apart from you don't look like a chav driving them you just look a little silly lol.

ashjones
11-11-07, 11:24 AM
when i sold my last one i said i was neva gettin another i got my self a starlet turbo n guess what i now own my 10th got rid of starlet n just got a run around novas are great shame bout the chav factor but it doesnt bother me

goldengraham
11-11-07, 12:03 PM
on my first and hopefully my last lol although i love driving it but when it comes down to running it and mot i hate the bloody thing. Overall though i love it, been very reliable and puts a smile on your face everytime. I keep wanting to sell it but when it comes to it i know i will miss it lol