PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers.

macc nova
03-11-07, 06:17 PM
Just fitted fk coilovers to my car (handle really well btw) and was wondering how many other people have hade to fit wheel spacers to prevent the wheels fuling the suspension. Ive had to fit 10mm spacers is this normal? The handling feels really light now,would i need to put some spacers on the rear to equalise the tracking?

trackdaynova
03-11-07, 06:22 PM
I have had to add spacers, but only 5mm shims, however I've recently replaced them with 7mm ones, to add extra clearance for Wilwoods.

You shouldn't need to alter the at all, as then you'd more than likely have problems touching the arch

macc nova
03-11-07, 06:30 PM
thats what i thought but the steering is really light now, it feels like its got power steering lol

macc nova
03-11-07, 07:36 PM
yeah i got new longer bolts today and made sure that the spacer sat central. Just a thought could it be that as the spacer is 10mm, the wheel is therefore 10mm further out than normal? So it might not be sat on the hub properly?

Just been out to check the offset my wheels, and they are tsw alpines which are et35 standard so now with the 10mm spacer this makes tham et25, Thats very low. Couls this be the reason for my light steering?

macc nova
03-11-07, 09:31 PM
??

Ash
03-11-07, 09:34 PM
hmmm, my steering went lighter when I lowered the car, and again when I fitted my wheels (195/45/15 ET38) I'm guessing its to do with the offset and possibly because you've gone lower with the coilovers and need the camber adjusting.

EDIT: with an offset that low, I recon the camber is the only thing stopping your wheels destorying your arches

John
03-11-07, 09:36 PM
yeah i got new longer bolts today and made sure that the spacer sat central. Just a thought could it be that as the spacer is 10mm, the wheel is therefore 10mm further out than normal? So it might not be sat on the hub properly?

Just been out to check the offset my wheels, and they are tsw alpines which are et35 standard so now with the 10mm spacer this makes tham et25, Thats very low. Couls this be the reason for my light steering?

Quite possibly, i'd look for some nearer the "magic" 49 if poss. Are the tyres fouling the bodywork? what size tyres/rims do you run? I trust you checked the front allignment after fitting the coilovers?
:thumb:

macc nova
03-11-07, 09:39 PM
When i go around a round-a-bout the front arches touch the tyres only if im goin quickly though. 15'' Tsw wheels and 15/45/195 tyres

John
03-11-07, 09:41 PM
Plus at that lower et imo it'll start eating bearings etc.

John
03-11-07, 09:44 PM
I'd be looking for some better et rims fella.

macc nova
03-11-07, 09:44 PM
how do you adjust the camber?

John
03-11-07, 09:46 PM
With the two bolts that hold the strut to the hub. needs going on gauges though to adjust it accurately.

macc nova
03-11-07, 09:52 PM
right so first thing to do is new wheels with a higher offset, then get the camber set up properly

John
03-11-07, 09:58 PM
Yeah thats what i'd do fella. i'd have all the front suspension geometry checked whilst you're at it. i work at a main agent and we charge 45 quid iirc.