PDA

View Full Version : will bonnet lifters bend my bonnet?

Dave.
02-11-07, 11:20 PM
put my bonnet lifters on today, theyre off a calbra so do push up on the bonnet alot harder, so harder to push down. anyways my bonnet is fairly weel as it looks like where it bolts to the hinges has been bent and creased, when we put the bonent on we made if fit so it looked ok, but with the lifters im scared it will put so much strain on the bonnet when pulling it down it will eventulally funk up the bonnet. need to know if i should leave them on and carry on or remove them?

Lee
02-11-07, 11:22 PM
Leave em on. If you bend the bonnet it'll give you something else to do in the next 3 years or so :)

Mike
02-11-07, 11:26 PM
no, they shouldnt bend your bonnet at all

Lee
02-11-07, 11:27 PM
no, they shouldnt bend your bonnet at all

Theyre cally lifters. I would guess you would end up creasing it after a while tbh, cally bonnets weigh about as much as a nova lol

Mike
02-11-07, 11:32 PM
Theyre cally lifters. I would guess you would end up creasing it after a while tbh, cally bonnets weigh about as much as a nova lol

Aii true, there prolly longer to TBH

Ash
02-11-07, 11:47 PM
I think you'll fine the manufacture supplys the same struts for a nova as they do a cally and about 30 other cars lol basically a universal part TBH

craig green
02-11-07, 11:49 PM
Just a shame lifters are gay!

Heavier than a bonnet stay & usually visible through the panel gap.

My mate has just ordered a new bonnet stay from Vaux & has his lifters aimed at the bin for his mk4 GSI.

Mike
03-11-07, 12:02 AM
I find it loads easier to work on my engine with lifters as oppose to a mega annoying bonnet stay in the way! And the lifters raise the bonnet about 2inchs more then a stay. Well mine seem to lol

Riggy
03-11-07, 10:22 AM
lol im a stay man myself , just dont like how the bonnet sits up at the rear with lifters

Adam
03-11-07, 11:25 AM
Looking at the pics you put up Dave, they look longer than nova lifters, hence why there probably harder to shut on a nova.

Jack
03-11-07, 11:32 AM
Raised bonnet = p3rf0rm@nce m0d!

Welsh Dan
03-11-07, 01:45 PM
Raised bonnet = p3rf0rm@nce m0d!

They'll help him tootle around the yard faster lol.

mikey14sr
03-11-07, 02:45 PM
The area around the hinges on a nova bonnet isnt very strong as it is, so over time it'll weaken it to the point where it cracks the steel. Saying that, most nova bonnets rust like hell in the same spot anyway, so it's a toss of a coin which will kill the thing first.