PDA

View Full Version : 8v or 16v?

greg1.4
02-11-07, 04:45 PM
hello there, i am thinking about building a 2.0 nova for a road rally car..

now i have a 2.0 8v sitting but i am unsure if i want to use it or not..

i like the looks of the 16v,quicker, more power than the 8v.

the 8v is lighter, still 130bhp but i dont know..

can you help me? i am bassicly just wanting a fast nova!

is the 8v easier to fit?

also i would be running twin 40 carbs on either of the engines..dont like injection rubbish!http://scottishnovas.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

cheers,
Greg

Jim Mcrae
02-11-07, 04:52 PM
I remember chatting to this bloke who had an XE nova (bright pink which was intresting other than that stock looking) with the 8v head, cammed and on twin 45s. Says he uses it for rallies and track days. Bet that shifts and is ideal. Apperntly hanndels better than your regular XE, wouldn't know for sure though.

Lee
02-11-07, 04:53 PM
For the power gains, the 16v isnt much heavier than the 8v. Both exactly the same to fit.

Both will give good results though :)

craig green
02-11-07, 05:00 PM
Injection rubbish????? Scared of 5 wires I say.

Nowadays XE's are fairly cheap & tbh you'd be silly not to over an 8v, that said decent 8v power shouldnt be put down. Twin 40's are too small for a 16v btw & will lose you power.

If you have the 8v already & the carbs, then do that I say.

Lee
02-11-07, 05:03 PM
Injection rubbish????? Scared of 5 wires I say.

Nowadays XE's are fairly cheap & tbh you'd be silly not to over an 8v, that said decent 8v power shouldnt be put down. Twin 40's are too small for a 16v btw & will lose you power.

If you have the 8v already & the carbs, then do that I say.

IIRC you can jet 40's to run a standard XE, but youll be pretty much on the limit.

greg1.4
02-11-07, 05:07 PM
whats cheaper to upgrade etc? take it, it will be the 8v as one cam, one pulley etc..

what will handle better?

with a 20seh, can i get 200 bhp out of it?

Adam
02-11-07, 05:11 PM
With a turbo yes.

The weight difference between 8v and 16v 2L's is barely anything imo, just the heads bigger....

Lol @ injection rubbish, its superior to carb in everyway :p

Tbh, id just fit a std 2L 8v, rag the f**k out of it. Then it it breaks(highly unlikely), get another for about ?30.

General Baxter
02-11-07, 05:36 PM
id go for the 8v anyday, at least you dont have to worry about the belt lol

mikey14sr
03-11-07, 02:33 PM
8v's are cheap to replace, proven to do over 150k miles, with a good bit of abuse and there's still plenty around. XE's are over-priced in any condition, and there's double the chance of things going wrong at the top-end. I'd go with 8v through the ease and cheaper cost of repairs when it goes wrong.