PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 conversion

Steve
31-10-07, 10:27 PM
Im hoping to start a 2.0 8v conversion on my std 1.2 nova soon.

Im sure this has been asked before but I dont fancy spending the next hour or so searching for bits of info here and there..

Checklist:

Seam/ stitch weld engine bay

Make alternator space

Bend clutch cable outlet towards passenge side to stop the cable snapping.

Buy and fit chris astley conversion kit.

What else needs doing that I havnt covered? Obviously I know brakes suspension etc needs doing but are there many diffrences in the conversion between 8v or 16v? ie clearnce issues on the diffrent blocks?

And before anyone says why not fit a 16v, the reason is I just prefer the torquey 8v engines.

Dan 130
31-10-07, 10:55 PM
good on ya for going 8v its the way forward lol as far as i know there are no diffrences with conversion between the two. are you getting the full conversion kit ie shafts c.v's etc here's a pic of the alternator cut out just to help
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/mallinova/pic9.jpg

Steve
31-10-07, 11:10 PM
Yeah going with the full kit, cv's front mount, gearbox spacer etc. This one (http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=2629&osCsid=8f158b5549b833ffec124c230d34e8a8)

If you've got any other pics of the bay welding that'd be cool, I wont be doing it myself but just to get an idea. So basically you need the majority of the bay welded? ya know, because its a nova.. lol

Welsh Dan
01-11-07, 12:34 AM
Stitch weld every single seam.

Steve
01-11-07, 10:03 AM
Whats the diffremce between stitch and seam welding strength wise?

Paul
01-11-07, 05:16 PM
if you stitch weld it still lets the car crumple it an accident.

If you seam weld there is no give in thes chassis, therefore expect the engine to literally rip out the mounts, your seats etc will be under a lot more stress in a crash, door pillars will bend etc.

Unless its track only stitch it, thats plenty of strength.

Riggy
01-11-07, 05:31 PM
also if a weld does crack when it been stiched it should only go on that weld , if it was one long weld the crack would just go all the way up

Steve
01-11-07, 06:46 PM
Ahh I see, cheers peeps, also lots of people seem to go for the HH chassis plates, is it better/ easier to weld the plates in or just have the bay stitch welded instead?

Paul
01-11-07, 07:11 PM
easier to stitch the bay. the plate are for serious competition cars or very rusty cars imo, if theyre rusty they should be taking an xe anyway.

Just stitch it mate