PDA

View Full Version : colour coding bumpers

Alex
25-06-02, 10:59 AM
I am thinking of getting my bumpers colour coded with the rest of the car and am wondering whether it would be worth doing them myself. I have done my own side skirts, but obviously the bumpers are a bit harder and larger. Has anyone else done this and if so do you have any advice. A bodyshop would charge me a fortune for this I think as it is a metallic paint.

Spacemonkey
25-06-02, 11:19 AM
Well i dont have a metallic nova , just a plain white 1 and i got mines both done on my last car for bout 70 squid, i would really advise doing it urself as they may start flaking, but depends how good you are :)

ade
26-06-02, 06:21 PM
sure theres a guide on topbuzz.co.uk for colour coding bumpers. basically same as yer sides for prep work (smooth, plastic primer) but coz its a high impact area yoou'll need to do several layers and lacquer (will need that neway if metalic).
Getting an exact match on metalic may be tricky (or maybe not - depends on experience). Problem is if u do it yerself you'll probably end up using cans - if so you need lots of layers. I did it with cans 4 yrs ago and the front of me car (after 70k+ of motorway driving) looks like its been sand blasted!
If u can afford it get a compressor/spray gun and use that instead - hire one - will be about as much as buying the equivalent in cans!

Ade
:wink:

novatec
02-07-02, 12:20 PM
I've just done my front bumper and side skirts which haven't come out to bad. As long as u prep them properly they're easy to spray. The only thing I don't like is that clear plastic primer but that is what u need to use or else they will flake! Don't get cheap spray cans either and use plenty of laquer. It can actually be cheaper to send them to a body shop in the long run but I'm no good with mechanics and give enough money to garages for engine mods so I like to do some things myself.