PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt

Mike
30-10-07, 10:34 PM
Im ditching the OE management setup on my E16SE, ive been on the MS site looking at the different ECU's and shiz that they do, but, what setup could i potentially use as direct replacement management for a small block 1.6.

Its not turbo'd, not carbed/TB or owt, just a normal 1.6 MPi

Adam
30-10-07, 11:02 PM
Personally id convert it to dis, and then run wasted spark(use std gm parts).
You will be ditching the std afm, run the ms off a vacuum connection(map)

Mike
30-10-07, 11:10 PM
DIS pack 1.6's are the same bhp as a Dizzy one's as you know. What gets me is, the AFM engines, the AFM is apparently really re-strictive BUT both engines run the same bhp output? Hows that work?

EDIT: A total guess is what im after is a ignition only MS setup?

Adam
30-10-07, 11:18 PM
You'll need fuel and ign to replace the oe system.
Ms1 xtra works well.
The engines are the same power yeah,but c16 has a cat, and still makes same power as e16. C also has lower cr.

Mike
30-10-07, 11:20 PM
So what could potentially happen if i converted a non cat engine to DIS? I make about 1bhp possibly lol ?

Nice one for the info Ad :D

Adam
30-10-07, 11:26 PM
I would convert to dis just because its more reliable and doesnt wear out. Thats the only benefit I can see.
Convert the engine basically to a c16se. Then ms it.
Fit 20xe injectors too, and a nice cam would help :)

scottc1088
31-10-07, 07:25 AM
tbh i wouldnt bother with megasquirt unless you can get it mapped locally, i was using it on my cinq turbo and no one would map it so i ended up doing it myself

Stuart
31-10-07, 08:45 AM
no harm in learning howto map on an engine that is dirt cheap to replace.

Id get the std engien running nice with maybe a cam in there to make it a little challenege. Fit the MS and get mapping.

You can pick up wideband lambda sensors sooooo cheap these days, there is a DIY kit from the US if you google 14point7 and JAW (I got that kit) or there is a fully done setup from NTK for approx ?110 on ebay a lot.

From what I can work out you want to have the crank sensor setup to be a VR (Variable Reluctance) build with a Dodge Neon Ign setup (use a GM dispack though) http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-neon.html

the megasquirt forums are a very helpful place too (failing that there is a bloke called Garage19 on vauxsport who is well up on his MS and may well say im talking poo lol)

Mike
31-10-07, 03:22 PM
Nice one for the info lads :D

The engine spec is mostly home built, in collaboration with another user from here (cant take all the credit, and the spec is hush till its proven sucess on a RR) i can get it mapped locally (PJ Motorsport) but the core info im after is.....

What is the base kit id be best buying. Once purchased i can easily add to it, but from what i can see on the net, theres several different M/S kits on the market that do a whole range of things?

I now know im after ignition AND fuel, however theres a selection of M/S that can do this? Im a total novice to electronic engine tunning, im old skool lol carbs and cam's kinda engine work lol

Any further help would be superb :thumb:

Stuart
31-10-07, 03:38 PM
mine came from
http://www.glensgarage.com/

but as said, talk to Garage19 on vauxsport as hes in the UK and is fully uptodate on MS developments where as my knowledge is 12 months old at best...

Mike
31-10-07, 03:45 PM
good site Stu, but i still have no idea what kit does what lol

Stuart
31-10-07, 03:47 PM
as far as im aware...

the MS1 processor DOES wasted spark (which is GOOD) and fuelling
MS2 (the funky card looking thing) DOSENT do wasted spark but will run a dizzy... and does fuelling.

the Vx boards are just evolutions of the circuitry.. imho get the most uptodate one you can.

Mike
31-10-07, 03:49 PM
sheet, so i am best of converting to a DIS pack ignition prior to using MS then

Stuart
31-10-07, 05:41 PM
just do it at the same time....

or keep the dizzy and use the MS in simple mode to control it rather then the ghey ign modules there at the moment

Mike
31-10-07, 05:44 PM
Right, i think it'll be the MS1 v2.2 or v3.0 kit ill be utilising, and after looking at those widebands i think ill pic one up and map the lot myself.

Ive just spoken to PJ Motorsport (about 2miles from me) they can map MS, but they want a flat rate of ?400 for mapping....

EDIT - Just checked and it appears that v3.0 would be more then adeqaute as it needs no add on coil driver & is more then suitable for a turbo'd motor aswell. Which would lead me to the next step of my engine build....

Philsutton
31-10-07, 06:37 PM
tbh i wouldnt bother with megasquirt unless you can get it mapped locally, i was using it on my cinq turbo and no one would map it so i ended up doing it myself

thats the whole idea of megasquirt, you do it all yourself. Currently having fun myself with it, the info stu put up is very helpfull. Its given me a better idea of what im doing ect..

Adam
31-10-07, 06:45 PM
Right, i think it'll be the MS1 v2.2 or v3.0 kit ill be utilising, and after looking at those widebands i think ill pic one up and map the lot myself.

Ive just spoken to PJ Motorsport (about 2miles from me) they can map MS, but they want a flat rate of ?400 for mapping....

EDIT - Just checked and it appears that v3.0 would be more then adeqaute as it needs no add on coil driver & is more then suitable for a turbo'd motor aswell. Which would lead me to the next step of my engine build.... Right, use/get a Version 3.0 PCB, as its a better board than the older 2.2.

MS1 can do fuel and ignition(proper gm wasted spark), only when loaded with the Xtra firmware. The original code cant.
MS2 cant do gm wasted spark, but the latest MS2 Xtra firmware can.

Id either go for a Ms1-Xtra, or MS2-Xtra. The 1 is the cheapest version atm, but ms2 will have more features when the extra code is 100% finished afaik.

Use a Sri crank sensor/pully, and dispak. Then just make a custom loom up.

With a wideband you can apparently get quite a good fueling table set up diy, its just the ignition is the tricky bit.

Stuart
31-10-07, 06:58 PM
there we go, updated info :D good skills Ad

Mike
31-10-07, 07:06 PM
Right, just been talking to Burgo, and he jogged my memory that, the engine i got out of Riggys car has a crank sensor fitted already.

Banded around some ideas and DIS pack may be the way forward, with some other engine work and MS well, we'll see what happens i think....

Adam
31-10-07, 07:16 PM
Right, just been talking to Burgo, and he jogged my memory that, the engine i got out of Riggys car has a crank sensor fitted already.

20quid says it doesn't :D

Mike
31-10-07, 07:30 PM
20quid says it doesn't :D

Yes it does, i sat there staring at it today, its mounted down by the bottom pulley on the rear of the engine.

Adam
31-10-07, 07:31 PM
Hmm, Riggy had a E16se fitted tho?

Unless someone replaced the block with a C16se one :confused:

Stuart
31-10-07, 07:32 PM
its got one from the sounds of it, who cares how it got there lol

Adam
31-10-07, 07:32 PM
Fair point,lol

Mike
31-10-07, 07:38 PM