PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up spot lights !?!?!

R1CH
30-10-07, 07:04 PM
I'm a bit of a :tard: when it comes to wiring, i know i'm gonna need to use some kind of relay but thats about as much as i know !!
Gonna be running 2 (maybe 4?) big spot lights on the Nova, just want them to come on with the main beam, anyone draw me a simple wiring diagram ?

Cheers

krobinson
30-10-07, 07:15 PM
I cant help, but are you going for big Cibie spotlights? Or something in the bumper?

R1CH
30-10-07, 07:21 PM
Big Cibie style ones !! lol

Adam
30-10-07, 07:21 PM
Something like this id do:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/fogs.jpg

4 pin relay, normally open.
Using the main beam wire to switch the relay(can use thin wire)
Then beefy cable from the batt, through a fuse, to the relay, which then passes to the lights when the relay switches.
Use decent cable for the lamp earths too.

R1CH
30-10-07, 07:28 PM
Hmm ... think i follow that, can i pick up a wire for the main beam from around the headlight or is it gonna have to come from the stalk ? also batterys in the car, would it be ok to pick up a live off the starter motor ??
Ain't gonna be leaving them on, so don't wanna spend loads of time fitting them really.

:thumb:

Adam
30-10-07, 07:34 PM
You could borrow the starter wire yeah, it might be difficult to splice onto tho, unless you fit a ring terminal and bolt them both onto the starter.

Yeah the wire in the bay for full beam should be fine, i dont know what kind of wire it is(12v or switched earth), or its colour tho. Have to check haynes.

Make sure the power/earth, and relay can take the amount of amps the lamps may pull.

R1CH
30-10-07, 07:47 PM
Cheers, i'll just fit a ring terminal to the starter, should manage to find the correct wire for the main beam switch !!
Then all i need is to knock up some mounts for the spots, without cutting / drilling my bumper or grill ... hmm
:thumb:

Adam
30-10-07, 11:05 PM
Maybe use some velco straps, wrapped around the grill and light brackets

R1CH
30-10-07, 11:24 PM
Nah, the grill isn't the most secure of things and the slam panels been chopped abit as well so wouldn't be to confident with them hanging off them !
I'll just knock a bracket up, like a H frame that bolts under the headlights some where and comes down infront of the bumper and secures to the cross member, needs to be secure as were gonna be blasting down some sh*ty back roads !!

Adam
30-10-07, 11:28 PM
Lol

R1CH
18-11-07, 09:59 PM
Finally got round to getting some spot lights, i'm gonna be having 4, 2 up 2 down, can run these off just the 1 relay or do i need 2 ?? Do i need any special relay or will any old 4 pin relay work ??

Cheers

Adam
18-11-07, 10:32 PM
You can use one if it'll cope with the amps the spots will pull.

R1CH
18-11-07, 10:41 PM
How do i find out how many amps they'll pull ?? They've got 55w bulbs in each one.
:confused:

Adam
18-11-07, 10:53 PM
With a calculation or two. Cant remember the formulas off the top of my head.

Adam
18-11-07, 10:59 PM
A quick google, amps=watts/volts.
So each bulb pulls about 4.5amps.

R1CH
18-11-07, 11:04 PM
Cool !!

Welsh Dan
18-11-07, 11:05 PM
I've got a pair of spots on mine, they came with a 4 pin relay in the kit. I ran a fresh live from a ring terminal on the battery, through an inline fuse to the relay, earthed the relay+lamps via the bolt that holds the relay in place on the inner wing, and took the 'switch' feed from the wire that feeds the main beam circuit on the drivers side headlamp.

A typical 30A automotive relay should more than suffice.

Adam
18-11-07, 11:07 PM
Aye, a 2quid 30amp relay should be fine.