PDA

View Full Version : Coilover options and camber advice

beavy69
29-10-07, 09:12 PM
Ive got:

Very light 5door with 16" alloys and 205mm wide tyres currently on Apex struts lowered 40mm

I want:

Better handling and reliable geometry (dont we all!)

Question 1.

I have seen a kit on gleebay for 305.00 where you get front gmax coilovers and normal rears with a height adjustment spacer.

Is that worth going for being as I can't really go much higher than 305.00 at the mo and rear coilovers can give hassle for fitment - room and required strengthening (which would only be made more annoying by my fat wheels!)?

Or are the real benefits only noticed with a complete set of coilovers?

Question 2.

The camber problem; Due to lowering and wide tyres I needed to adjust camber - got some of those cam bolts - either they were fitted badly (doubt it - reputable geometry speciallist garage) or they're not up to the job (the fact that I go on and off the two small lips of my driveway one wheel at a time twice a day probably doesnt help) eitherway somethings up.

When not going for these stupid bolts the geo garage normally re-drill the mounts to adjust camber, can this be done on coilovers too (i spose it depends on the size design of the mount plates?) or does one have to use those pricey adjustable top mount things?

Thanks for reading :-)

Welsh Dan
29-10-07, 10:33 PM
One has to use one of those pricey eccentric top mount things to do the job properly ;).

Paul
30-10-07, 07:06 PM
IMO avoid Gmax, theyre cheap for a reason. if i remember rightly, theres a chap in basildon whos deals GAZ coilovers on aBay. Think they were around the ?300 mark.

beavy69
30-10-07, 08:13 PM
Yeah having read a few coilover threads its seems GAZ is the way to go.