PDA

View Full Version : gsi tapping

andy_rembrant
25-06-02, 01:06 AM
jus brought a gsi. cheapish because of a ticking noise comin from the engine,it sounds like its near the top somewhere and taps faster when u rev the car,someone has told me it could be a blocked oil pipe in the sump?,or a dodgy injector? anyone got any ideas??cheers

red_devil
25-06-02, 09:40 AM
does the Gsi still have hydraulic tappits coz my 1.2spi had a sticking hydraulic on the tappit so no oil was being released until shit loads of pressure was applied by booting the throttle.

Check if there still hydraulic and then boot the throttle and see if it clears for a few minutes after,,, if so i'd say its a blocked tappit

barnes
26-06-02, 01:17 AM
the injectors are supposed to tick.

does it missfire???

andy_rembrant
26-06-02, 01:52 PM
it still does it when you boot it, i havent really drove it on the road yet but when its reved suddenly it does seem 2 b missfiring abit!?

pingu_turbo
02-07-02, 08:36 PM
my 1.3 sr used to do that when i revved the tits off it. it sounds like a valve lifter tapping. does it clear after a few minutes of ideling? :?

brian
02-07-02, 08:55 PM
the injectors tick but not crazy loud. the engines does have hydraulic tappits and they would get louder if there is a lack of oil gettin to them. also squeze clean the tappits

match
02-07-02, 11:31 PM
it is the hydraulic tappets, i have had 2 1300 engines do this and every time wen i took the engine s out both times and completely stripped em it was the tappets. put a screwdriver on the cam casing and put ur ear to to the handle u will be able to hear the tappet vibrations through the screwdriver.

if u dont sort it soon it in turn fooks ur cam cos it spits a follower off into the cam housing and wrecks the cam lobes. this happening in turn causes the car to run on 3 cyclinders. and if ur as unlucky as me then it will wreck ur bottom end shells end they if u leave it too long the disintegrate!!! then u need a full engine rebuild rather than just rebuilding the head.
i gave up with 1300 and got a 1600 and re-biult that from sctatch.
if u want pics of the damage it will cause to ur engine internals let me no and ill send u some pics of wot left of my last 2 engines

let me no how u get on mate - good luck!