PDA

View Full Version : does ne one actually know?

novaexplod
24-06-02, 09:12 PM
people have asked how much for resprays but noone really knows.

has ne one had an mk2 with full body kit spray in pacific blue or a similar colour with a high quality finish that dont fade after about a year? if so could you tell me please! :roll:

barnes
24-06-02, 11:49 PM
yes, does that answer ur question???

?Marty?
25-06-02, 02:46 AM
No one will be able to give you an exact price, as this depends on the area and the overall condition of the car. And also on the type of re-spray (ie does it include colourcoding anything like bumpers/door handles).

Though it'll be in the region of ?700 and ?1100.

barnes
25-06-02, 11:22 AM
round my gaf decent spray jobs start at 200 then a mint sow winning finish is about 500, or to me its 24 cans of lager and 200 fags and the paint

mikeoxford
25-06-02, 12:30 PM
which area is this then barnes?

barnes
25-06-02, 12:31 PM
sunny carlisle.

my best mates a spray painter so everything is cheap cheap for me

Ste_Nova
25-06-02, 12:37 PM
i'm paying ?1000 for mine

inside, outside, engine bay and underneath
all rust removed and painted in sliver/blue with purple flip
delocked, dehandled

barnes
25-06-02, 12:41 PM
im paying 200 fags and 24 cans of lager for mine

inside and out, all rust cured all inside smoothed off, ie where back seats bolt to coz its gonna be stripped out, pinted in a smart blue metallic colour with a dash of purple flip in.

all i do s buy the beer, fags and paint. this is off e 2 mates who are both qualified painters/panel beaters and are simply awsome at it.

also i gotta pay about 10 quids worth of maccy d's to have an engine put in my nova, bargain

novaexplod
26-06-02, 01:50 AM
oh well looks like ill have to just buy sum sand paper, filler and a 5 litre can of dulux. off to B N Q for me 2moro.

my dad has a rusty cab on his motor home n he sanded (or should i say cut) the rust away filled it and bought a can of primer n a can of white bodyspray n it came up dead shiny and clean (top finish) but this was only the bottom of the cab door and at the top of the arch.
does ne one reckon this could work all over my car. there aint really any rust tho to be honest.
just dont wanna fuck up the car.

ade
26-06-02, 06:26 PM
if youve never resprayed a full car before Id recommend getting a bosy shop to do it - take it in for a quote. Vauxhall quooted me a full respray (and derust) for ?800 and my cars paints a nice shade of pink!
If you do it yerself and fcuk it up, it'll cost you more in the long run.

If youve got the guts to do it yerself, get a compressor, spray gun and several books on how to paint your car (see haynes for some excellent titles). Consult your local car paint store for help on paint.

I'm using 2 pak :twisted:

Ade
(anyone spare a lung in August?)

Nova1.6
01-07-02, 12:22 PM
Ade, did u contact your local Vauxhall dealer and get a quote from them to respray your car? I never thought of that. How exspencive is it to have de-locked and de-handled, how much is the mechanisum to open the doors when u get it de handled?
How long does a car normally have to be in for to have a complete repray?
Cheers for any info.
Neil

ade
01-07-02, 01:47 PM
vauxhall just quoted me for basic respray & derust + a little work on rear arches (nowt major just a little rusty). They maybe expensive but it depends on state of yer car.

As for delocking/handling I dont know if they would do this as it wasnt standard on the nova so they may charge u pot loads of extra. My advice would be to delock/handle yourself (or get somewhere cheaper to do it). I did my own delocking using a large flat headed stubby bolt and a big locking nut (b&q) - simply removed locks, bolted nut in place and then fibreglassed/bodyfillered over it. , then take to vauxhall to spray - providing their quote is cheap. Havnt dehandled - dont fancy that personally - I think it makes the doors look naked - also a bitch if u are in a smash - how the firebrigade gonna know how to open yer doors - wastes valuable life saving time (IMO).

Time wise depends on the amount of prep work needed - which is the biggest time killer. You just need to shop around - some place will do all work in a few days - my experience is the longer the car is in the shop, the better the job is. If you are really anal about your car (as I am) - many body shops let you pop in to check out progress. :D

Ade

Nova1.6
02-07-02, 10:34 AM
cheers ade, yeah im wasnt too keen on the idea of de handled, saw a corsa at PV2002 with it, looked strange. Im think of delocked tho, not only does it look little bit better but also added security, ive got a good alarm so i might aswell.
Ill have to shop around as u say. Gotta save up money first which is the killer!
What colour do u think looks best? I like red but a also like the idea of black, everything black and then green or blue neons under car, might go high-jack a juganought then(if ya get what im on about).
Neil

ade
02-07-02, 10:35 PM
cool!
Going for carmine red meself including bumpers - keeping it the original colour.
All skirts and splitters in charcoal grey with 2 tone grey full retrim interior.
Delocking my car when I rebuild it later this month (1.2 becomes gsi lookalike) - I've actually fitted central locking and it runs off the keyfob - I just disconnected the locks so even though theyre there they dont actually work! Rather than weld the locks over u can get flat head stubby bolts that just slot into the holes - simply tighten up and fibreglass over the top :D
Black respray looks good but (and this is mental) some insurance companies will charge you more for changing your colour! (black and red cars get stolen the most allegedly!)
I'll be keeping a log of my work on me car (off road for a month) and will launch me website sometime in september showing how I did it, what happened etc...
Fingers crossed...project gsi starts 18th July 2002!
:wink:

dave.gsi
03-07-02, 12:50 AM
i wouldn't do black or red.....ive had both...the black turns brown about two hours after spending all day waxing it cos of dust............and the red turns to pink pretty sharpish

go blue :wink:

Ric 16v
03-07-02, 06:17 PM
barnes, u said u live in carlisle !! is that carlisle in cumbria coz if it is I live just outside of penrith and Im wanting to know what the bodyshop is called that does re-sprays that cheap :rainbowa: