PDA

View Full Version : My new daily runaround.........vvrroooom ptttttsh!

Nick J
28-10-07, 05:23 PM
Hi All, Well my nova went away a few months ago for the winter and I was'nt really looking forward to running around another winter in my then daily runner a mk3 astra 1.4. I did it last year and although it was nice and cheap it was boring as hell! This year I have managed to save some money up and wanted something a little newer, comfier and hopefully with a little more power between the front wheels but at the same time not spending too much money! Below is what I came up with.....

mk4 Astra sri.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/astraturbo002.jpg?t=1193591056
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/astraturbo001.jpg?t=1193591102

But here's the difference........
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/222c_4.jpg?t=1193591151

It's running around 280bhp on eds phase 2, It's had a full engine rebuild around 5K ago, honed, crank ground oversized bearings, arp rod bolts, all new gaskets and seals, steel head gasket, recon head with all new valves. The block has also been cleaned and painted. The car also has large front mount intercooler, bailey dump valve, vxr injectors and courtney heat shield, xe inlet cam, magnicore ht leads, iridion plugs, etc.

To be honest Its been very tidily converted and goes like stink while still being relatively cheap imo, On the downside the front end of the car is stone chipped to death and theres a fair few light scratches and car park dinks down the sides as well as all four wheels are scuffed, But as some of you know this is something I can sort myself so wont cost me a penny, I dont intend to spend any money apart from general servicing needs etc, But next weekend I plan to strip the car paint the front end and both sides followed by refurbing the wheels in a different colour, undecided on this yet! hopefully it will make a nice winter runaround, keep your eyes peeled for a wip thread for this and my nova as I'm on with bits for that as well as bits and bats for certain members on here too! Busy times ahead, hope you like, Nick.

Mike
28-10-07, 05:25 PM
i like that :D i like it a lot actually :D

Brodie_Sri
28-10-07, 05:29 PM
Very nice mate:thumb:

saloonwoody
28-10-07, 05:35 PM
I Like It Paint The Wheels Same Colour As The Car Or Do Em White ;)

BIGS
28-10-07, 05:35 PM
and that is your runabout :eek: very nice by the way

Dave.
28-10-07, 05:36 PM
lovley :thumb:

Pillar
28-10-07, 05:47 PM
i like!!! posibly gsi kit and debadged grill to finish it! what do you need for the conversion just out of interest is it the same as a nova etc

Ash
28-10-07, 05:52 PM
^nah, irmy front spoiler and grill - job done, maybe spray the intercooler black...

Nice magictree btw :thumb: lol

Riggy
28-10-07, 05:52 PM
lol i keep thinking of a z let for mine lol , although i never thought of a c let lol , would be interesting to see whats needed :thumb:

carls nova sri
28-10-07, 06:11 PM
looks tidy

Nick J
28-10-07, 06:14 PM
lol i keep thinking of a z let for mine lol , although i never thought of a c let lol , would be interesting to see whats needed :thumb:

Theres a fair few reciepts from regal and autovaux I think between them these guys supplied what was needed to rebuild the motor and convert the car to an let, If you do fancy doing the conversion by all means feel free to get in touch fella, Always happy to help another png member!

Nick J
28-10-07, 06:16 PM
^nah, irmy front spoiler and grill - job done, maybe spray the intercooler black...

Nice magictree btw :thumb: lol

Well I did say I didnt want to spend any money on it however I've already ordered a grill! lol.

Saloony
28-10-07, 06:18 PM
Nice fella. Look nice with a few choice bits. Is it me, or is that cooler on the p1ss?

Adam
28-10-07, 06:21 PM
Looks cool.
Nice cars.

Nick J
28-10-07, 06:24 PM
Nice fella. Look nice with a few choice bits. Is it me, or is that cooler on the p1ss?

Think its just the way it looks in that picture tbh, looks better in this shot..

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/2232_4.jpg?t=1193595648 (javascript:void(0);)

Ash
28-10-07, 06:28 PM
Well I did say I didnt want to spend any money on it however I've already ordered a grill! lol.

lol its started already. Looking at it again some darker (smoked) lights wouldn't go amiss, did gsi's have them as standard?

Nick J
28-10-07, 06:32 PM
lol its started already. Looking at it again some darker (smoked) lights wouldn't go amiss, did gsi's have them as standard?

lol No It hasnt not really! Just saw the badgeless grills and thought for ?20 to my door why not, Am keeping my money for the nova, You never know If the motor turns out to be a good one It may replace the xe thats in the nova! As for the gsi lights I'm unsure not really up on mk4 astras!

Riggy
28-10-07, 06:33 PM
yea they did and rear lights aswell lol , sxi's also have them after about 52ish

i did exactly the same thing , was goin to keep it std , then bought a grill , then lowered it , now want lights and gsi wheels lol

Riggy
28-10-07, 06:35 PM
grills looks better

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/28102007101.jpg

scott.parker
28-10-07, 07:14 PM
Really nice everydayer mate..

I would think of getting something like this if i had just one car, but with two on the reoad i opt for TDI power lol

Scott

Nick J
28-10-07, 07:41 PM
Really nice everydayer mate..

I would think of getting something like this if i had just one car, but with two on the reoad i opt for TDI power lol

Scott

I know what your saying Scott, whether or not I have been a little foolish in running two modified vauxhalls remains to be seen, If so I will just part with the astra, On another note though I work hard for the pennies I earn so I may as well enjoy them! Nick.

Flip_GSI!
29-10-07, 05:44 PM
Did you get this from goole of dave?

If so iv seen this car go and belive me JESUS it absolutely flys and roars when it gos past ya!

Lovely car NJ!

krobinson
29-10-07, 05:56 PM
Awesome nick, well done!

kevster
29-10-07, 06:27 PM
nice nick !!
like it alot

Nick J
29-10-07, 08:17 PM
Did you get this from goole of dave?

If so iv seen this car go and belive me JESUS it absolutely flys and roars when it gos past ya!

Lovely car NJ!

Yes mate Dave sold it to me, apparantly its the fourth mk4 astra he has converted to run an let, says he can do them with his eyes shut now, And your right in what you say It does go like Stink! lol

John
29-10-07, 08:34 PM
Nice car nick, i love the mk4 astra, the handling on them is great! What's it based on nick? sport? I'm sure you'll have it looking tip top in no time at all!

Nick J
29-10-07, 08:45 PM
Nice car nick, i love the mk4 astra, the handling on them is great! What's it based on nick? sport? I'm sure you'll have it looking tip top in no time at all!

Hi John, Its based on a sri, so wasnt a bad car to begin with, the let just made it that bit better! As for having it tip top, I was working on it before and after work today! made quite a bit of head way already, but I'll leave that for the upcoming wip thread! Nick.

Flip_GSI!
29-10-07, 09:29 PM
Yeah it is he knows what he is doing without a doubt!

Awesum car mate, when i saw it go all i saw was a black flash and an almighty RAW as it went past!

Love it!

Ben
31-10-07, 04:29 PM
Nice car, wouldnt put a C20 in one though when there is a purpose bult engine already fitted in them.

Flip_GSI!
31-10-07, 09:08 PM
Yeah but this is a hell of a lot quicker and 2 grand cheaper!

wrighty
31-10-07, 10:58 PM
yes its not bad and yes its quite fast but i know the lad that built it and it will be interested to see how long it lasts before something goes wrong

Ben
01-11-07, 09:40 AM
IMO The Z20 lets are cheaper than the C20's, less thrashed, more reliable and a much stronger design.

alan b
01-11-07, 01:14 PM
ya but z20lets are not as easy tune on a budget? will a c29let pass an mot on emissions for that year astra?

Ben
01-11-07, 09:18 PM
Yeah will do if you keep the cat etc and its running fairly standard, Z20's are cheap enough to tune, a VXR turbo and injectors cost the same no matter what you fit them too.