PDA

View Full Version : xe owners answer this please!

alan b
27-10-07, 12:44 PM
hey guys ive been driving the nova daily for the last month after the redtop conversion and its fast but, i have a 16v calibra with the later managment.when i drive the the calibra at around 45k she really comes to life and pulls really hard the whole way up, but me nova has an astra gte engine and managament and its seems to nearly fall off at around 5k it feels totally dofferent to the power curve in the calibra, anyone enlighten me? cheers.

craig green
27-10-07, 01:33 PM
Possibly the Nova having a cone filter. Engine could have cambelt timing marginally out, in need of service, fuel pump not too clever & my first port of call would be to check all Earths (renew ideally) & make sure the wiring for the fuel pump is really good & thick enough cable.

The early GTE lump (no lambda ?) should be the most powerfull variant of XE with 156bhp if its tip top.

See how you get on...

Philsutton
27-10-07, 06:51 PM
at 45k she must be really screaming

alan b
27-10-07, 07:27 PM
helpful comment^^ i meant 4.5klol lol ive checked everything i could. know that you mention it craig when i did the belt on it the engine it was off one tooth so when i took the belt off i took out the spark plugs and checked tdc, it was hitting tdc one tooth off, the way it was when i got it so i put the new belt on that way, maybe it is off one tooth? but when i lined up the marks on the bottom pulley it deffinalty was not at tdc? cheers.

Clean 2.0 nova
27-10-07, 08:50 PM
Maybe bottom pulley has been taken off and is 90 / 180 degrees out if it is held on with 4 bolts, or 60/120/180 degrees out if held on with 6 bolts. In anycase if you've done the spark plug out method then you know the real TDC instead of relying on pulley markings. Your cams shouldn't be 1 tooth out unless theres a very good reason for it.

alan b
28-10-07, 01:09 AM
nah its only one tooth off, on booth marks, the alternate drive pulley and belt pulley. any know of it is off or should i leave it way it is?

corsakid
28-10-07, 08:48 AM
may have somehting to do with the flywheels that each oif the engines are fitted with early xes were fitted with flat type flywheels which are lighter, allow the car to rev up slightly quicker etc but produce less torque ( that is may be wot your experiencing with the car not pulley as hard when it hits 4.5k) the later dis and some later dizzy xes were fitted with a pot type flywheel this is much heavier than the flat type and as a result of the mass of the flywheels allows the engine to produce slightly more torque so pulls harder higher up the rev range i.e your calibra, but saying that a redtop in a nova should feel balistic compared to the calibra so could be underlying probem