PDA

View Full Version : avo coilovers

ashjones
27-10-07, 10:11 AM
when i was at 3 sisters rally the other week i was speakin to a fella that had
avo coilovers that were 1.9" on the rear he said ya dont have to cut anything you just have to knock the inner arch in abit any one know what there called (model) has i want some anyone know where i can get them from cheers,ash

simonb123
27-10-07, 10:19 AM
theres a set on ebay ?189 i just orderd a set 20mm to 120mm perfect!

ashjones
27-10-07, 10:26 AM
i cant find em what ya type in to get it up sounds abit cheap to me

tom_beverley
27-10-07, 02:26 PM
Thats about right for the rears only. You are looking at circa ?500 for front and rears and tbh there a lot more to gain by using them on the front over the rears too.

No one has ever said that cutting is necessary, just some people prefer to cut whilst other prefer to beat the arches.

ashjones
28-10-07, 07:49 PM
o right i got some from chris astley cheers tom beat sounds good to me lol

Ste L
28-10-07, 09:06 PM
theres a set on ebay ?189 i just orderd a set 20mm to 120mm perfect!

if you ordered these, they aint avo's...
they are cheap crappy one's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Coilover-Suspension-Kit-Vauxhall-Corsa-B-Nova_W0QQitemZ280165723099QQihZ018QQcategoryZ40192 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rick Draper
28-10-07, 10:55 PM
if you ordered these, they aint avo's...
they are cheap crappy one's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Coilover-Suspension-Kit-Vauxhall-Corsa-B-Nova_W0QQitemZ280165723099QQihZ018QQcategoryZ40192 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is there any difference?!

Ste L
28-10-07, 11:01 PM

that's like saying is there any difference between a set of gmax, and a set of yellow billies

Lee H
28-10-07, 11:19 PM

lol The ones on e-bay are probably better than Avo's!!

Ste L
28-10-07, 11:37 PM
lol The ones on e-bay are probably better than Avo's!!

are avo's that bad Lee?
i though they was half decent, apart from poping seal's etc?

Lee H
28-10-07, 11:43 PM
Mine were ****, height adjustors seized and had to be sawn off, seals popped, bottomed out when ran low and looked like they were about 10 years old when they'd been on the car six months.

Ste L
28-10-07, 11:46 PM
dont sound too good then...

my spax still look like new, and been on the car nearly a year, and still adjust fine

Lee H
28-10-07, 11:50 PM
I hated them and I know Rick had similar problems with his hence his comment.

Dar
29-10-07, 09:07 AM
I think I have mentioned this before, but its worth mentioning here again.

The adjustable AVO coilovers are a decent bit of kit. They arn't the best, nor are they the worst. The height adjustment will go rusty since its exposed metal thread. A bit of maintenance will sort that. I've only seen the old ones go really rusty, so I'm not sure if the new ones are so bad in this respect. Its always worth using some Coppaslip on any exposed threads if a car is going to be outside in the elements.

The adjuster is there so that you can up the dampening when you up the spring rate. If you get stronger springs then you need to up the dampening because the spring pushes back harder and the shocker needs to do more work to stop it oscalating.

If you just wind up the resistance without changing the spring you are putting alot more strain on the damper and the spring is doing less of the work. You can 'fine adjust' them but just using the standard spring and then winding up the damper so that you have very firm suspension will put alot of stress on the damper and the seals will blow.

Rick Draper
29-10-07, 09:40 AM
If i was after coilovers in the ?500 bracket i would only look in one direction and thats to GAZ. Far, far better than anything else in that price bracket and they have great backup.

If you send your Avo's back for a service you get them back with the damping adjustment not working and there answer to that is "o thats normal send them back and we will have a loot at them and try and fix it". Great service for a great product!

Lee H
29-10-07, 09:55 AM
Thats one I forgot to mention, damping adjustment died on one of mine as well. Also they have the grub screw in the collar rather than two collars that you lock together and that caused me problems as well as it siezed.

As Dar says though, they may have improved them recently, mine were bought about 5 years ago and sold 4 years ago as were yours Rick but I agree the Gaz ones I have now are far better quality etc than those were and slightly cheaper.

Dar
29-10-07, 10:00 AM
I've never had reason to send any AVO coilovers back to them so I cannot comment on the after sales service. GAZ coilovers are also very good.

MARTIN KELSON
29-10-07, 11:14 AM
I've just received a set of Gaz rear coilovers.
I was worried about catching the arches but to my surprise fitted a treat.

My only concern was the length of them. To run the car at the ride height i wanted it looked like they were almost bottoming out on the bumpstops. Quick e-mail to Gaz to see if they do a shorter version. E-mail straight back saying we will make whatever you request, just send them back and we will make you some shorter ones at no extra cost.
You cant say fairer than that and so far i cant fault there service.

CP
29-10-07, 11:38 AM
This subject has been aired a few times b4.
Whats been said is all true.

I've been over to the factory in the past and grumbled at them about the above problems and they did admit to having "issues".

They are basically at the budget end of competition/performance suspension although they charge well enough.

They have improved manufacture design and service considerably since the early stuff they flogged for Novas.

A lot of the problems may have been worse in XE and LET conversions cos of extra weight issues but there are no hard and fast rules.

I've got on fine with mine which are the new sort. Overall they are an adequate compromise for road/track use.

Lee H
29-10-07, 11:40 AM
Any idea what size you are going to get them made yet Martin?

Quite fancy some of these myself but was concerned about the length of them as the Avo's I tried had the same problem of being too long to get the ride height how I wanted it.

MARTIN KELSON
29-10-07, 12:21 PM
I'am going to get them to make them i think 2" shorter in the body to still give me the travel.
They should take 2 weeks to make so i will let you know how i get on.
Fingers crossed they will be what i'am looking for.

Lee H
29-10-07, 01:47 PM
I would think the same length as the Avo rear shocks I currently have would be right as they have let me go really low without bottoming out so 2" shorter sounds about right.

Just looking for coilovers as the rear spring falls out easily as its so short. Think you run your car about the same height as me at the back.

Dar
29-10-07, 04:16 PM
Just looking for coilovers as the rear spring falls out easily as its so short. Think you run your car about the same height as me at the back.

Get some helper springs. They are about ?15 for the pair and will stop the spring unseating:thumb:

PM me if you want more info.

Lee H
29-10-07, 04:34 PM
I have them on the front as I have this problem on the coilovers. I'm still on seperate spring and shock at the back so unsure if helper springs could be fitted?

Dar
29-10-07, 06:17 PM
Ahh sorry. I thought you were on coilovers on the rear as well. You could always cable tie them in.

garyc
29-10-07, 06:34 PM
I think std shocks are 19 inch. I ran some 15 inch coilovers on the back I sold them to Rich as they were too low for me. I then got some 17's and they were much better. Mine are GAZ and they get abused in autograss I havent had any problems with them.