PDA

View Full Version : Trouble-shooting time!

macc nova
26-10-07, 11:47 AM
As some of you may know i has a squeeling noise on my car about 1 week ago, i changed the water pump, fan belt, alternator (and bracket mounts) but its still there!
When i start the engine its moderately loud then after its warmed up the sqeeling quitens down and is replaced with a light tapping noise. :confused:

I went to the me local engineers two days ago and he said that it could be that when the engine is cold not enough oil is getting to the top end quick enough therefore the sqeeling? And i should think about replacing the oil, oil filter, oil pump and oil pick up in the sump?
What do you guys think could be the problem?

Welsh Dan
26-10-07, 12:42 PM
It could just be a blocked pickup pipe.

Drain the oil, remove the sump and have a look at the oil pickup pipe, if its full of crud remove it and clean it. use a proper gasket rather than instant gasket type stuff when you refit the sump so that you don't fill your just cleaned pipe with instant gasket :).

craig green
26-10-07, 02:15 PM
Cant imagine why that would squeal. However the tapping could be oil related. Does it not tap from cold?

Definately worth checking the oil pick up pipe in the crank case as if its partially blocked, the oil supply to the pump will suffer.

I had a hydraulic lifter that failed a few years back, the engine was really 'cammy' sounding & suffice to say we found the innards of the lifter in the sump & pickup. Quite lucky!

Adam
26-10-07, 06:52 PM
Does it still do it with the alternatoe belt removed?

macc nova
26-10-07, 07:34 PM
yeah im gonna have a look at the pick up pipe tomorrow.

lltn: i dont understand your comment? i have started the car without the belt on

Adam
26-10-07, 07:37 PM
Aye thats what i meant.
Cool then, it aint the belt or alt bearings.

macc nova
26-10-07, 07:45 PM
/\/\ sorry i ment i havent started the car with the belt off,
to be honest the tappings coming from the head so if it doesnt stop when i clean the pick up pipe, then i think i'll have to take a look at the tappets, Could it be to do with the tappets?

macc nova
26-10-07, 07:46 PM
Cant imagine why that would squeal. However the tapping could be oil related. Does it not tap from cold?
Yeah it does but you can hear the squeel more until it quitens down

macc nova
27-10-07, 04:50 PM
Right guys this is part two, today i took the sump off and the pick up pipe is fine, new oil filter and new oil put in there. But still the tapping noise is there, is my next option to check out the hydro-lifters and tappets? Or is there anything else it could be?

ANDYRACER
27-10-07, 04:57 PM
Id say its lifter related tbh fella.

Oh and cant believe uve still not painted the ****er! I was next to you in the cavalier on 17"s this morning on the silk road. ;)

macc nova
27-10-07, 05:03 PM
really you should have beeped or something. Oi mate im skint as ****, plus it doesnt jelp when all the little kids round here find it fun to kick it or scratch it. After ive got me suspension it'll be getting treated.