PDA

View Full Version : New Engine

tempted_and_tried
22-06-02, 10:56 PM
Currently got a 93 1.4i Merit+. Its approaching 90k miles, the engine is very strong still despite its idle being slightly less smooth than I'd like. I drove back 40min down the A46 at a 102mph on Wed without a problem.

Thing is the doors are rotten at the bottom which makes it look a mess, and its only a Merit+. I've been looking at replacing it with a 93 1.4SRI. Thing is they all have 80k + miles on them. Can you still buy brand new engines to go in them ? This is my question ? Expense isn't a problem, reliability is.. I'm gonna be doing a lot of motor miles in it. Has to 1.4 tho coz I like the performance v economy factor, and no problems telling the insurance its been maxxed.

Saying that how does the GSI compare to the SRI in economy and insurance ? Im 22.

ade
23-06-02, 04:15 PM
if your current engine is sound (except rough idle which can be sorted) and the rest of the car is tidy, why not just replace the doors?

A lot cheaper than replacing the car and you know the engine you currently have - its good/bad points etc.

Like u said most cars of that age (unless u get v lucky) are 80k+ and u dont know history - you wouldnt get much on resale of yer current motor so why not just stick with it and do it up a bit.

U can get second hand doors from mk1 or mk2 from most scrappies (I have a scrappy by me with 3 novas with minted doors on em) for less than ?40 for the pair - probably less.
Body shop would prep then and respray transferring the inards for nowt or u could do it your self (dead easy!)

:D

tempted_and_tried
23-06-02, 04:57 PM
I think the idle problem is engine management or fuel injection related, both would cost a fortune to put right.

As you said resale on mine would be ?500 at the most, tho saying that I've fogged the rust out and the doors look a lot better. Cause the car isn't worth anything, I don't want to spend anything on it !

I may just give up and get a L or M Corsa SRI, be patient and wait for 60,000 miler to come up... or.... get a 1.4 Fiesta Si. I've got about ?2,300 to play with.. ?1400 spare end of this month, an extra ?900 next end of next.. then I'm saving for other stuff :|

tempted_and_tried
23-06-02, 05:05 PM
makes that ?2,700 with ?400 for my old one...

ade
23-06-02, 06:29 PM
Most cars that age arent worth much - even buying another nova - markets bottomed out so even a corsa or fiesta would soon just crash down.

To be honest I'd look at a recon engine or one off of the sales pages on here - someone posted a range of engines for sale recently - u could fit it and get new doors for under the price of selling the car (a bit more if u got someone else to fit it for ya!) - if u get fitted properly could also increase resale value (if FSH with engine)

:wink:

d0gz_bollox
23-06-02, 06:33 PM
some kid on autotrader was selling a standard nova SRi for around ?3000 with a brand new vauxhall fitted SRi engine. using gay maths equations SRi's go for around ?1300-1400 so engine & fittin cost ?1500. hmmm hmmm get a valver mate! if moneys no problem then insurance wont be either. or get a 1.6 16v. ur gay if you buy a brand new SRi engine. there good engines but aint worth thatkl

ade
23-06-02, 06:45 PM
dogz dont take much to tell the last post you posted before the one above was that weird gay/straight poll about what car u drive dictates which hole u poke!
:D :o

tempted_and_tried
23-06-02, 07:09 PM
Well dogz, they aren't gonna be many guys after that for ?3000. Have to say tho, he gets bored, gets no interest, walk upto with ?2500 cash and you get yourself a bargain !

:idea:

was it on-line ?, you got the details ?