PDA

View Full Version : Power question...hmmm

mk2novagte
22-10-07, 01:04 PM
Right a mate of mine is putting jenvey's on his gsi.

What power output do we think a 1.6 8v on throttlebodies with full system, induction kit etc... would push out?

I thought about 135?

He's deciding whether its worth it or to just slap an xe in it.

tah :thumb:

craig green
22-10-07, 01:09 PM
TB's on an 8v isnt as cost effective as the twin cams tbh. Great on a smallblock XE but wasted on the 8v.

A chap near me used to race a 1.6 8v Nova with an SBD, TB'd setup in the hot hatch race series, it was about 180bhp but wouldnt be that suitable for road use tbh. You dont mention piston, cam or head specs which will determine the power.

XE it for cheapness/power or build a 1600 smallblock XE if he insists on using the TB's & staying smallblock IMO.

craig green
22-10-07, 01:10 PM
LOL @ induction kit (with TB's) clearly you or your mate dont understand the fundamentals of TB's.

peester
22-10-07, 01:13 PM
itde be more intersting to see torque figures from the 8 valve..

mk2novagte
22-10-07, 01:14 PM
any reasons for it not being suitable for road use?

The head would be standard but with a balanced bottom end (crank and flywheel)

yeh i was thinking put a c16xe in then you'd probably see 130 from bods alone.

mk2novagte
22-10-07, 01:15 PM
LOL @ induction kit (with TB's) clearly you or your mate dont understand the fundamentals of TB's.

lol ive only just noticed that. lol

dont look at me im typing at what he put down lol.

maybe he just wanted tp have it in the bay doing nothing lol

peester
22-10-07, 01:21 PM
heres a quote i got years ago enquiring (8 valve @ velos on the left, 16 valve kit adapted for the 8 valve, sbd on the right,..) i think
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/oldquote.jpg

Welsh Dan
22-10-07, 01:29 PM
The reason that TB's don't work too well on relatively standard 8-valvers, is that they're too 'big', so that the fuel/air mix moves too slowly, and the fuel starts to drop out of it. The 16valve engines draw the fuel/air mix in more quickly, so there are benefits to be had. I remember reading once that 40mm DCOE carbs are (or can be) choked down to 32mm, which is a lot more suitable for the 8valve engines.

I do, ofcourse, stand to be corrected if I'm wrong. :).

mk2novagte
22-10-07, 01:30 PM
doesnae seem too bad really to be honest. 140 - 145 bhp with the weight of a 1.6 would be very fun! i could be jealous of him if he does it

so for bods and fitment from velos would be about 2000.

cheers for the help

craig green
22-10-07, 01:36 PM
Velos went under/closed trading a few years back. The 8v would end up being very peaky tbh, no torque low down, then BANG, all the power would arrive then you'd need to change up a gear & be in a torque hole again. (hence it just isnt done)

A mildly tuned 1.6 XE would prove quicker IMO & cheaper. Btw a 1.6 XE smallblock with g/box still weighs in far lighter in comparison to the XE & F20.

Stuart
22-10-07, 08:32 PM
you'd have to slieve the TB's down to get the gas speed up to keep the fuel in suspension as otherwise (as mr xemo said) the fuel will drop out and lose you power as the mixture runs lean.

its gonna be mega peaky and therefore pointless on a road car as you will be having to drive it like a Vtec with a failed activation valve (failed on by the way)

Philsutton
23-10-07, 06:21 PM
and some steel rods so you can actually rev it without making holes in the block.