PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cage

Nick
21-10-07, 04:22 PM
Right... I wan't a cage, but i want a custom cage. However, i don't want to pay the price for a custom cage.

Basically, i'm rather handy with CAD, and especially some pretty accurate 3D modeling programs. I.e I could pretty confidently make the inside of a nova and design a cage.. And a good friend of mine is a highly skilled professional welder. He welds tubular space frames and other frames for architectural purposes.

In theory it sounds like quite a achievable idea.. but what does everyone reckon ? I'd hopefully get the welding for very cheap, if not free as a favour.

*Obviuously, it wouldn't meet FIA regs, but that doesn't matter for me*

Philsutton
21-10-07, 06:16 PM
Do it, if you are comfortable doing it then go for it. If you can design it on cad or the likes then you can do structural tests on it, in the program to see where the stresses / strains are an weak points and if needs be re-design it.

Best way to learn things to have a go yourself, I have no idea about building engine management systems at the moment but im slowly learning to do mine lol.

R1CH
21-10-07, 07:19 PM
Well if you can design one and your mates a good welder then yeah why not !!

Rich

mowgli
21-10-07, 07:26 PM
if you fork out for about 30m of pipe, your mate should be able to get it to fit the shell. There is a firm called Barclay Matheson (search on the net for local branch) they are steel stockists & will deliver & accept cards.

Nick
22-10-07, 01:12 PM
Well.. the only problem is getting the stresses right, however i'm sure i'l beable to have a good go at it - I have a degree in architecture, so i kinda understand alot of simple engineering, in terms of frames/structures/stability

Watch this space (Probably not for the next 12 months). There could be a batch of tree lover cages hitting the scene.