PDA

View Full Version : 5 stud conversion

nova_stee
19-10-07, 10:14 PM
i have just bought front and rear hubs and brakes of a friends cav v6 cos there five stud.
so i bought the conversion kits for the rear disc coversion and fitted them to day no problems there but does any one no how to do the front my car is 1.4 sr:confused:
if any one could help it would be great coz i look a right tit with cav turbo wheels on rear(5 stud) and sr wheels on front(4stud):cry:

Welsh Dan
19-10-07, 11:24 PM
You either need to machine the hubs down to fit in a nova bearing (dodgy), or machine the steering knuckle out to take a bigger bearing, and make sure your outer CV's fit the hubs.

R1CH
20-10-07, 01:05 AM
Can only do the fronts if your running big CV's, 2 ways ... either machine the hub down to fit the Nova bearing or (best way) use Grp A bearings (available from Chris Astley MS) and have the steering knuckles machined to accept the larger bearing (cost me ?40) then theres a small amount to machine off the actual 5 stud hub, bit off the back face to clear the steering knuckle & bearing circlip and a bit off where the bearings presses onto, Grp A bearings are narrower than the Cav ones.
Not to bad really.

nova_stee
20-10-07, 09:49 PM
thanks lads i think i might remove the back tomoro seems to hard lol

Philsutton
20-10-07, 10:13 PM
I dont think anyone has noticed that he is using a F10 gearbox an thus cant just run "the big shafts". No doubt there is a inner cv joint you can use to go from big shafts to small block box. Sure burgo was after doing this, not sure if he sorted it or not.

mowgli
21-10-07, 12:03 PM
maybe it is just me, but can't you simply get some spare hubs, & get someone to weld the 4 bolt holes up & redrill & tap 5 bolt holes into them?

R1CH
21-10-07, 01:12 PM
maybe it is just me, but can't you simply get some spare hubs, & get someone to weld the 4 bolt holes up & redrill & tap 5 bolt holes into them?
lol

No !

mowgli
21-10-07, 01:30 PM
lol

No !

Right, go on, please explain why not

considering this method has been used for decades by hot rodders, & I have personally seen it done on agricultural machinery when original wheels are impossible to source, & don't drag out the old cliches about agricultural stuff being thrown together by yokels, anything that can stand 20tonnes at 30mph is way better engineered than a car

Seriously. what is wrong with getting a decent engineer to weld up & redrill the hubs so the wheels & discs simply fit straight on?

Ste L
21-10-07, 01:31 PM
what about finding some plain hub's, and having them drilled to 5 stud

R1CH
21-10-07, 07:00 PM
Right, go on, please explain why not

Ok, Nova pcd is 4 x 100 Cav / Calibra stuff is 5 x 110, the diameter of the face on a Nova hub is 120mm so by the time you drill the 5 holes on a 110 pcd and tap them to M12 there gonna end up off the end of the hub !!
Good enough reason ?

Rich

mowgli
21-10-07, 07:22 PM
Thankyou r1ch

Welsh Dan
21-10-07, 10:37 PM
What about fancy spacers then? I dont see why something couldnt be made that bolted to a 4 stud hub, then itself had a set of holes/studs for 5x110, obviously you'd need to use wheels of a different offset, or some wider arches.

Like Oli's ones, but with modified to suit my description:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/dhdev/DSC00439.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/dhdev/DSC00441.jpg

R1CH
21-10-07, 10:45 PM
Some of the holes will over lap so not possible, if you look on Oli's pics you'll see theres no room in between the 4 large holes to drill another 5 holes.

Rich

Welsh Dan
21-10-07, 11:07 PM
Just did some technical drawings, you are right mate. :thumb:

R1CH
21-10-07, 11:26 PM
I checked earlier on, i've got a Nova hub sitting in my garage and also a 5mm 5 x 110 spacer so just sat one on top of the other, which ever way you lined it up at least 1 hole was gonna overlap slightly.
Unfortunatly there isn't an easy way to do a 5 stud conversion.

Welsh Dan
22-10-07, 12:13 AM
Unfortunatly there isn't an easy way to do a 5 stud conversion.

Just use 4 of the holes!

I'll see myself out lol.

craig green
22-10-07, 01:30 PM
Ok, Nova pcd is 4 x 100 Cav / Calibra stuff is 5 x 110, the diameter of the face on a Nova hub is 120mm so by the time you drill the 5 holes on a 110 pcd and tap them to M12 there gonna end up off the end of the hub !!
Good enough reason ?

Rich

Not to mention that the points on the hub flange where the bolt holes are is thicker for strength where the bolts go through. There isnt 5 places on the hub to do this.

Personally, on a 1.4 smallblock, I'd cut & sleeve (weld) the 2 types of shaft together. Its hardly LET type torque to snap them. Done properly they would withstand LET power output anyway.