PDA

View Full Version : Ive been offered a Vauxhall Nova Bolt on K&N Air Filter

Mr_Moo
21-06-02, 03:52 PM
?20...

I dont actually have a car YET!!

But do u think its worth gettin for a 1.2?

I wanna get my car soon, and do it up a tad while im doing my lessons etc....

All ur help will be greatly appreciated!

?Marty?
22-06-02, 12:30 AM
This isn't a styling question really, now is it? bad boy. Though fitting the filter would make the engine bay look nicer without that 'huuuuge plastic dish'. Anyway...

Yes. The first car i ever had was a 1.2 Merit and i noticed an improvement after i fitted a K&N. It won't really increase your top speed or BHP, but it does make it more responsive.

Though if you fit a freeflow air filter then you may aswell fit a bigger exhaust to get rid of the extra gasses. Just a backbox will do, no need for a full system, and if you reduce the back-pressure by too much you could in fact negatively affect the performance (at low revs).

Also if you do get these done, you should get the fuelling slightly increased, otherwise your car may run a bit lean (due to the extra amount of air being forced into the carb).

Oh and unless you get a hot air kit (or diy one) the carb may freeze-over in cold weather (in which case it would be better to re-fit your standard filter, and re-adjust the fuelling if needed).

ade
22-06-02, 01:01 PM
I fitted a K&N (new for ?60) the other month and it's mint - the noise from it when accelerating is superb (real grunt) - getting a backbox will help (mines on its way!) - I didnt need to adjust the settings on mine - seems to give me faster acceleration from standstill, faster at the top end (which for my car is classic!) and ironically better fuel consumption (I do loads of m/way driving so prob the reason).

Get it - check filter element doesnt need cleaning - but even the cleaner only sets u back ?10 - so still a bargin.

Ade

:D

Ste L
02-03-06, 03:22 PM
why bump a 4 yr old post ?????

tappingt
02-03-06, 03:55 PM
how can you reduce the back pressure by to much? ive fitted a new back box just wondering if this is what ive actually done?

Jack
02-03-06, 07:53 PM
Can anyone advise me if I should go and buy some beer tonight? Thanks.