PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor prob.

Donova
18-10-07, 10:19 PM
When it's cold, like this morning, starter motor spins without turning engine, starts after a couple of turns and when it warms up it's fine even if it just stands in the sun for a while,it's as if there's some teeth missing off the flywheel but can't see anything wrong and the starter itself is quite new.

Welsh Dan
18-10-07, 11:16 PM
Most likely a dodgy solenoid.

vaughanmc
18-10-07, 11:19 PM
I've got a spare in my garage, somewhere

Donova
19-10-07, 11:03 AM
Most likely a dodgy solenoid. Will check that, hope it is, don't want to be renewing flywheel ring gear:roll:

craig green
19-10-07, 12:03 PM
solenoid, give it a whack!

Needs replacing I expect.

Welsh Dan
19-10-07, 03:09 PM
If you were missing teeth on the flywheel or starter, it wouldnt do anything until you pushed the car along in gear, so its not likely to be that.

Clean 2.0 nova
19-10-07, 09:50 PM
When the starter is energised the starter cog pushes outwards to make contact with the flywheel (then goes back when not cranking). This is to stop the starter motor turning all the time the engine is running. So as previously said it is your starter motor at fault, nothing else. You could just spray loads of WD40 over it and use it a few times and you might get a bit of a longer life out of it. Otherwise strip and clean it.

Donova
20-10-07, 12:00 AM
It's only a couple of years old, thats what made me think it might be something else, I might have a look at it this weekend, but the weather is looking to good for staying at home, cheers anyway:)