PDA

View Full Version : Oily Subject

Spacemonkey
21-06-02, 12:28 PM
Hi

Is it normal to have oil in the air filter and all aound the carb and im speaking about big black thick stuff,
i think the rocker gover gasket has gone but would that put oil in the air filter and air box?

some said that my piston rings may have gone? what are the signs that this has happend

Anonymous
21-06-02, 12:34 PM
rocker cover gasket wouldnt cause that, its not normal.

Compression check the engine it might be pushing back pas the inlet valves when its combusting, althoguh eventhen it should relly have oil in the camber to statr with.

Doesnt sound good, might just be year of build up coming back through teh breather though, when was the filter last clean?

Chip

Spacemonkey
21-06-02, 02:15 PM
Dunno Just bought the car and it was that, but i would it aint been changed in a year to 2 years the car looks like the last couple of owners didnt really look after it.

What would you suggest to keep it healthy

Anonymous
21-06-02, 02:24 PM
like i said, do a compression check first.

Chip

Dicko
21-06-02, 04:24 PM
it will be coming up through the oil breather pipe, which usually indicates worn.cracked piston rings which makes the engine breath heavy.

clean it off and see how long it takes to come back, if theres are clear signs that it comes back within a few weeks then its pretty clear something is wrong.

but.....

when i had a 1.3sr engine, mine did this and i drove another 15k miles before i finnally swoped the engine and it was still running ok when i took it out!!

benji
21-06-02, 06:25 PM
i know who's right :lol: