PDA

View Full Version : Question... Sub + Amp

NovaLad
17-10-07, 12:12 AM
To install a sub and amp do i do the following with wiring up...

1 going to battery from amp.
1 going to earth from amp.
1 going to back of head unit to amp (blue wire????).
Power leads from back of head unit to sub.

????

Also if correct can i get this lot cheap at halfrauds? lol

Input is appreciated thanks.

Jack
17-10-07, 12:14 AM
Put a fuse in the engine bay on that power line.

The leads from the HU to sub will be RCA cables.

Halfords won't be cheap lol

NovaLad
17-10-07, 12:16 AM
So when i go to a store what should i ask for?

Or should i literally say i need teh cables teh wire up teh sub and amp to teh head unit.

Jack
17-10-07, 12:19 AM
"Amp wiring kit" should see you good.

NovaLad
17-10-07, 12:21 AM
:thumb:Ok cheers...

That will be all...:thumb:

NovaLad
17-10-07, 02:10 AM
If the sub allready has a amp built in to the box and their is a red cable and black cable coming off the speaker and going to the amp does that mean i just need amp to earth, amp to battery and amp to head unit?

Jack
17-10-07, 08:16 AM
Yeah, and the remote wire (thats the little blue one that goes from amp to HU and tells the amp when to turn on).

NovaLad
17-10-07, 01:44 PM
does that mean i just need amp to earth, amp to battery and amp to head unit?
Yeah, and the remote wire (thats the little blue one that goes from amp to HU and tells the amp when to turn on).
Isn't the amp to head unit 1 i put in my post the correct 1?

Do you put the fuse between amp and battery so if it blows it doesn't trip all the fuses out in the car?

Welsh Dan
17-10-07, 02:24 PM
You put the fuse between the amp and battery, but as close to the battery as possible.

NovaLad
17-10-07, 02:26 PM
Do you put the fuse between amp and battery so if it blows it doesn't trip all the fuses out in the car?
????

Adam
17-10-07, 02:38 PM
No, its because the amp power wire carries a lot of current, and should it short out the fuse will blow instead of setting the car on fire. So its kind of handy lol
Hence why the fuse gets put near the battery so the cable after the fuse gets no voltage should the fuse blow.

Make sure the hole you put the wire through is well sealed and protected with a rubber grommet.

martunk2.0
17-10-07, 06:45 PM
Halfords - Meh dont go there! :roll:

bigbened
17-10-07, 10:54 PM
ebay, an autoleads package should see you good

michael squeak
17-10-07, 11:38 PM
go to maplin they have an amp wiring kit and the positive wire going from the bat to the amp has a fuse already built in just put it as close to the battery as possible.

Jack
18-10-07, 09:35 AM
Isn't the amp to head unit 1 i put in my post the correct 1?
Yes; but my reply was to post #6 in which you left out the remote wire.

Yes, but mainly so the fuse will protect that one power cable and stop it from burning if something goes wrong. As said, close to the battery so if it does go, the wire inside the car is protected. And doesn't catch fire lol