time we called aa 4.35pm
games of pool at pub 9 i won about 7
time they arrived 6.45pm
time he had to stop for rest cos of driving hours 45min
time back to ricks 10.30pm
time i got in home 11.45pm

Rick Draper
16-10-07, 12:05 AM
You missed out the 6 games of pool at the pub!

R1CH
16-10-07, 12:06 AM
lol

scott.parker
16-10-07, 12:08 AM
Oh dear...appart from that the day whent well then..lol

Scott

Will F
16-10-07, 09:01 AM
Ah, so you need not have worried about the AA taking 10 minutes to arive then! lol

Ah well, at least you got home eventually!

Rick Draper
16-10-07, 01:26 PM
Did you get your exhaust sorted when you got home will?

Think the damage is quite evident in my LET:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/RickDraper/Novaturboblowup012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/RickDraper/Novaturboblowup019.jpg
At least i blew the gasket good and proper.

Adam
16-10-07, 01:35 PM
Not good. :(
I hope you decide to sort it.

Rick Draper
16-10-07, 02:27 PM
Fear not. It will be back, bigger and better. Might not be in the body of a nova though! Nar just messing, think it will be in the nova next year.

Adam
16-10-07, 02:28 PM
Lol.
Cool :)

Will F
16-10-07, 02:42 PM
Did you get your exhaust sorted when you got home will?

Think the damage is quite evident in my LET:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/RickDraper/Novaturboblowup019.jpg
At least i blew the gasket good and proper.

Saw this on Mig, not good, but then again not as bad as it could have been...

Managed to rip the exhaust off when I was loading the Nova on teh trailer. I was too tired and it was too late to care, so its still on there, with teh middle section lying on the bed of the trailer! lol

Easy fix though, so I dont care!

Will F
16-10-07, 02:43 PM
PS- Rick; Thanks for the oil, I still have 1.5 litres in my van!! lol

Do you want me to post it? ;)

Rick Draper
16-10-07, 03:00 PM
PS- Rick; Thanks for the oil, I still have 1.5 litres in my van!! lol

Do you want me to post it? ;)

LOL vauxhalls finest semi synthetic!

spanishfly
16-10-07, 03:12 PM
Told ya he'll have some :p

Will F
16-10-07, 03:42 PM
Told ya he'll have some :p

lol you did indeed!

It comes in handy when your oil level is lower than the dipstick! :roll:

Ah well it seemed to enjoy a mixture of oil!

Thanks again Rick, I will be sure to bring it with me to all the shows/events, just in case I see you there! lol

CP
16-10-07, 10:29 PM
Bad luck mate.

Is there a possibility that the head may not have been clamped down enough. Here's my top tip for tightening the head down. Do everything by the book making sure that the head bolt washers etc have been lubed- double check that you have done this and then rip the book up and throw it awaylol

Next check the torque reading of each bolt by trial and error with a decent torque wrench. If its anything like the heads I did they'll be all over the place with probably the loosest ones in the middle of the block. Find the tightest bolt. Tighten it at least a further 90 degrees and take a reading again. Double check and then use this reading to torque the rest of the bolts down so that they are all evenly tight. Dont worry I once managed to torque some head bolts a full 360 degrees too much:roll: - they were fine.

Having done tightened a lot of vaux heads down using the vaux recommended method and then having head gaskets go quite quickly again i'm convinced that it is a **** useless method and almost always doesn't tighten the heads down enough.

Other wise if it keeps happening you may need to resort to machining the block to accept copper ring gaskets around each bore?:confused:

Lee
16-10-07, 10:38 PM
Having done tightened a lot of vaux heads down using the vaux recommended method and then having head gaskets go quite quickly again i'm convinced that it is a **** useless method and almost always doesn't tighten the heads down enough.

As far as the XE /LET goes you talk a lot of sence there. Im pretty sure that Vauxhall reduced the torqe figures of the head bolts as a pi55 poor cure for the porus problem on GM heads. If Ricks running a cosscast head and used vauxhall figures, there should be plenty of scope for at least another 180 degrees on each bolt before you even come close to reaching its limit. I always bolt a cosscast up more than the book says.

Philsutton
16-10-07, 10:59 PM
mmmm nice, what compression you running rick?

Rick Draper
16-10-07, 11:15 PM
7.2CR phil with some one off cams.

99% got another coscast sorted, just need to finalise the head spec. +1mm or +2mm on the valves. Need the head work doing again and the head machined so the inlet cam has enough room for the lobes.

I think i will get the other head repaired and either sell it or keep it as a spare. Think for most other let's running up to 1.5bar boost the repaired head would be fine. Its had a fair bit of work done to it.

Rick Draper
16-10-07, 11:23 PM
O btw CP, i am running head studs and a cometic gasket so i ignore all the vauxhall advice.

Riggy
17-10-07, 11:38 AM

whats with the smiley face at the top right corner lol

shame about the engine though rick , im sure you will sort it though

Rick Draper
17-10-07, 01:43 PM

whats with the smiley face at the top right corner lol

shame about the engine though rick , im sure you will sort it though

Its smiling as it knows the nova is going to be even higher spec'd next time round.:thumb:

Philsutton
17-10-07, 06:18 PM
Should be able to repair that easy, I did something similair to mine this time last year as well as a piston. Being as money was tight we welded the hole in the face of the head that I had then skimmed it again and of course just skimmed the pistons an it held out fine so far. Strange thing is the enign has never caused me any problems just the bits attached it lol.

Clean 2.0 nova
17-10-07, 06:49 PM
Bad luck mate.

Is there a possibility that the head may not have been clamped down enough. Here's my top tip for tightening the head down. Do everything by the book making sure that the head bolt washers etc have been lubed- double check that you have done this and then rip the book up and throw it awaylol

Next check the torque reading of each bolt by trial and error with a decent torque wrench. If its anything like the heads I did they'll be all over the place with probably the loosest ones in the middle of the block. Find the tightest bolt. Tighten it at least a further 90 degrees and take a reading again. Double check and then use this reading to torque the rest of the bolts down so that they are all evenly tight. Dont worry I once managed to torque some head bolts a full 360 degrees too much:roll: - they were fine.

Other wise if it keeps happening you may need to resort to machining the block to accept copper ring gaskets around each bore?:confused:

I did something similar to the above when fitting my head. At the end of tightening as the book says I wasn't happy. This is because the bolts didn't seem to be equally torqued up so I went round them all and made them all pretty much the same as the tightest.