PDA

View Full Version : few questions?

greg1.4
15-10-07, 09:39 PM
well..just need to make sure a sri engine is going to go in my nova without too much hastle..its a standard sr lump in the now.

all engine mounts are the same, driveshafts, starter and alternator..i am running twin 40 carbs. what ALL do i need to do to a sri engine to fit and run my twin 40 carbs? my inlet manifold is a square port but it will still run and fit on ok but not as good a air flow? that correct?

is it ok to run 1400 sri bottom end, head but use a 1300 cam box as i dont want to use my 1300 sr dizzy..

will the 1300 sr cam be ok with the sri block and head? will i lose alot of power or anything?

anything esle? are ALL the water pipes the same? no other electrics need wiring etc?

what about timing belts/cam pulley? will a 1400 timing belt go onto a 1300 cam pulley or can i just put the sri one on the end of the cam box??

also what degrees should the timing be advanced to run twin 40's? my spec just now is 1400 sr block, 1300 head and 40's.. just wanting to make sure i am not going to hole my pistons..

next thing..a knocking noise appeared on my nova on sunday..got worse the more i drove it.. i was really driving it hard revving it pretty high in 1st/2nd gear..i was doing an autotest before anyone says you shouldnt be doing that to your engine..:D

its a rattling noise, not so bad on idle but when rev it and let off the throttle there is a rattle. its not constant..when looking from top of engine it sounds like top end but when you go under the car its even louder underneath..any idea what this could be?

please try and help me asap. thanks

Greg

greg1.4
16-10-07, 08:11 AM
bttt.help please!

Adam
16-10-07, 01:17 PM
Christ, enough questions lol

Rate:
Everything is the same. You can use the square port inlet but it will be loosing you power, and you wont get the best from the engine. Also the carbs will need setting up(re-jetting), due to the change of head etc.

Yeah the cam will be fine.

The waterpipes are different, the sri engine has a bigger plastic coolant tube(13 is a metal tube), so you will need a bottom radiator hose to a sri/gsi/gte engine.

Use the sri cam pully, and normal sri belt. The engine will have a cambelt tensioner as standard, but you can remove that if you want and just use a early 1.4sr belt with the waterpump to tension it.

As for ignition timing, that cant be answered, as you need it on a rolling road to get the timing set 100% bang on. Just line up the cutout on the dizzy with the rotor arm, with no1 cylinder at firing point. Normal timing is about 10deg btdc at warm idle speed.

As for the noise, what did you rev too? Maybe killed a lifter.
Check the exhaust manifold to head join first, as that can make a tapping noise if its blowing.