PDA

View Full Version : FAO Roll cage Owners

Martin
15-10-07, 04:53 PM
Right i'm planing on making my own roll cage..

i'm needing to kno the size/diameter of the steel used on your roll cage and thickness please

as i'm looking into buyin a pipe bender and need know what size to get

cheers :thumb:

Martin

Mike
15-10-07, 04:56 PM
2.6mm/3mm (SWG) walled steel tube, normally around 38mm diameter. Its also seamless tube ;)

For what its going to cost to fabricate one, it WILL be cheaper buying one ;)

Martin
15-10-07, 05:13 PM
2.6mm/3mm (SWG) walled steel tube, normally around 38mm diameter. Its also seamless tube ;)

For what its going to cost to fabricate one, it WILL be cheaper buying one ;)

BUUUT..

i cant find one that goes through the bulk head,across were the dash should be, all round the back of the car

i,e space frame:thumb:

Mike
15-10-07, 05:17 PM
BUUUT..

i cant find one that goes through the bulk head,across were the dash should be, all round the back of the car

i,e space frame:thumb:

your not looking very hard then......Custom Cages do an off the shelf cage like that.....i know that as I've fitted one before......all I'll say is "Good Luck" :thumb:

The get a secure weld for the roof X, you need to remove the roof skin BTW.....and you wont get an off the shelf cage for a Nova that goes all around the back of the car, nor any other 3 door hatch for that matter :thumb:

The max for a Nova IIRC is a 8 or a 10 point cage. 2 mounts to strut tops, 2 in front footwells, 2 onto rear inner arch, 2 into rear footwells and 2 that join together and mount to the rear of the trans tunnel where it meets the rear seat section :thumb:

EDIT; No off the shelf cage will "go where the dash is", none at all. Itll have a bar the goes where the interior mirror is though...

Martin
15-10-07, 05:34 PM
i still think it will be easier to make my own :D lol...

all this removein the roof skin mallarkee wtf?

burgo
15-10-07, 06:32 PM
if you dont remove the roof skin how are you planning on welding all the way around the tube?? and i beleave the custom cages multi point cage does have a dash bar. mine does anyway :P. and have you actually looked into the pricing of the custom cages cage they are very cheap imo

Lee
15-10-07, 06:35 PM
Martin, your going to open a massive can of worms attempting to build a spaceframe style cage yourself.

IMO buy an OMP or sparco cage and add the bars you want to it yourself, as they will all be straight and wont need a pipe bender.

Im not sure why you want to make a mahoosive cage in the first place though? Its going to weigh a fecking ton! not palnning on any forest stages are you? lol

Martin
15-10-07, 07:15 PM
not palnning on any forest stages are you? lol

:)

wanted to do a whole bespoke cage tbh.. but i supose i could use the sparco one and cut holes in the bulk head etc...

CP
15-10-07, 08:28 PM
The fact that you are planning to buy a bender to make your own cage proves that you don't what you are letting yourself in for. The others are right - get a professional to make it for you. I've used DIY benders for various things like handrails and its very difficult to do properly. Professional benders cost strong money and once you have had a go you'll know why

Martin
15-10-07, 08:33 PM
^^^ Hmmmm

CC ones look like the on i was planing on doing only maybe a few extras

Edit: Are the door bars removable?

FB_evolutions
15-10-07, 08:37 PM
we use a digital pipe bender at work works sam as a CNC - mate - no offence but unless ur heavily trained i wud let the idea go

FB_evolutions
15-10-07, 08:39 PM
and it cums up with nova T45 i beleave the cage your after

http://www.customcages.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=customcages&Product_Code=VN%2F96T

Quantity in Basket: none
Code: VN/96T
Price: ?779.00
Please call 01327 872855 for details

Mike
15-10-07, 09:17 PM
Get a ?350 OMP cage, add some extended bars to the front turret's, and if your good with a welder a X rear as oppose to a single diagonal bar ;)

R1CH
15-10-07, 11:22 PM
^^^ Good call, just buy a basic 6 point cage and a few meters of tubing, tag the cage to the A and B pillars stick a dash bar in, triangulate it to the strut tops, rear diagonal, door bars ect ... Making the main cage would be the most work and get it wrong and it could be quite dangerous in a crash, adding bits on the cage won't be that difficult at all tbh.

richi
16-10-07, 02:55 PM
hw much are you looking for a cage for a nova, how many points is the half cage?

Lee
16-10-07, 04:26 PM
^^^ Good call, just buy a basic 6 point cage and a few meters of tubing, tag the cage to the A and B pillars stick a dash bar in, triangulate it to the strut tops, rear diagonal, door bars ect ... Making the main cage would be the most work and get it wrong and it could be quite dangerous in a crash, adding bits on the cage won't be that difficult at all tbh.

Best way to do it, BUT .. why. All your doing is adding to the weight of the damn thing, and its just not needed unless you plan barrelling down a rally stage.

Id just fit a 6 point OMP or Sparco cage, weld in a rear strut brace, and run some bars through to the turrets through the bulkhead. Job done.

chappers1.3
17-10-07, 03:59 PM
i got a 6pt OMP with door bars on ebay for 200quid. u want a 50mm roll over bar (main hoop), rest i think is 40mm... only single diagonal tho, stil it'll be just as strong as a X - wel i cant imagine u'd notice difference Mid roll lol