PDA

View Full Version : Harry hockley?

P Whack
15-10-07, 04:30 PM
Dont know if i have splet this right, lol but i am looking for a harry hockley engine bay strengthening kit does anyone know where i can get one from and is it worth doing if doing an engine swap?

craig green
15-10-07, 04:41 PM
Chris Astleys are the same & cheaper. Essentially a few peices of shaped steel plate, so when welded & painted over, no one will know the difference.

I paid about 1 hundred quid for my HH kit about 6 years ago.

Spelt right btw.

Mike
15-10-07, 04:52 PM
Chris Astley kit is about ?55 ish IIRC

Although strut top plates are only ?8 at HH ;)

P Whack
15-10-07, 06:17 PM
Is it worth doing it to strenghten it if fitting a bigger engine?

P Whack
15-10-07, 06:18 PM
Got told that they are alright without doing this

Ste L
15-10-07, 06:19 PM
not needed, but better to have than not..

stitch welding the bay is recommended too

P Whack
15-10-07, 06:59 PM
Yeah was going to stitch weld the bay, but not too sure about the strengthening kit

shy witness
15-10-07, 07:18 PM
i decided to get a set of the strengthening plates myself

i guess it depends how solid the front of your shell is to begin with

deffinatly stitch weld it (if u want it to last)

the reason im putting the strengthening kit in also.is because im changing the whole front panel anyway.and ive quite a few other bits to weld anyway

so its not really that much hassle..............and it should all b super strong

ya dont want it falling appart after 6 months really .is the way i look at it

Stuart
15-10-07, 07:30 PM
since you are in the bay welding anyway get the plating kit, its only ?55 for minimal extra effort...

CP
15-10-07, 08:02 PM
A definite nova weakness is the tendency of the front chassis legs to come adrift from the front cross member under the strain of larger more powerful engines. The heavier and more powerful the implant is the more likely you are to have a problem. IMO in order of importance is to 1. weld and strengthen where the front member meets the chassis rails and beef up the area around the front tie bar mounts. Next stitch weld the chassis legs and up around the turrets as well as down to the lower track control arm mounts. Finally improve and strengthen the engine mounts.

P Whack
15-10-07, 08:05 PM
Well its gonna be a 2ltr turbo goin in it and want at least 300bhp so looks like tis gonna have to be the strengthening kit