PDA

View Full Version : not nova but im desperate

bigbened
14-10-07, 10:10 PM
my 1988 caddy pickup has decided not to play ball, it just wont turn over.

it was fine untill i turned it over one day and nothing, just a click and the lights dimmed, so i depressed the accelerator slightly and hey presto it started.
but since then (yesterday) i have had to press the pedal further and further down untill it would let it turn over, but now it wont let me at all

the engine is a non turbo diesel jobbey, i have had the starter off and cleaned it all up and it is working fine, it just makes a tick noise and wont bloody turn over

thanks for any help

Ernie
14-10-07, 10:13 PM
sounds like a sticky solinoid to me. or try and get hold of a new starter.

Stuart
14-10-07, 10:15 PM
in the mean time, if you can get down there, caress the starter with a hammer if it clicks

Ernie
14-10-07, 10:18 PM
you want to bang every thing dont you stu lol.

bigbened
14-10-07, 10:22 PM
lol ive tried the motor with a bighammer and i cant see anything wrong with it, it sounds like its sticking but why the hell was the accelerator making it unstick?

mowgli
14-10-07, 11:03 PM
sounds like an engine earth strap problem to me. maybe the throttle, when depressed is creating the circuit.

bigbened
14-10-07, 11:08 PM
that is what i was thinking but where do i look

Welsh Dan
14-10-07, 11:32 PM
Most likely near the gearbox, but you could add your own earth straps from the engine to the body if needed, but make sure they're long enough so as not to break when the engine moves around.

bigbened
14-10-07, 11:43 PM
i did look at the one on the gearbox and it was abit broken but i wouldent have thought it would make that much difference as more than half was in tact

Welsh Dan
14-10-07, 11:45 PM
Most starters draw several hundred amps for the instant that they're used...

I renewed the earth strap on my 1.2 recently as my old one was decayed and it made a big difference.

bigbened
14-10-07, 11:52 PM
ok mate sound i will try that tomorrow,

Stuart
15-10-07, 04:14 PM
simple test is a jump lead from the block to the negative terminal of the battery.

bigbened
15-10-07, 05:36 PM
ive tried bridging a load of copper earth (thick stuff) across where it was freyed and nothing,

where should i look now, change the starter?