PDA

View Full Version : tie rod

Jeff16v
14-10-07, 06:54 PM
If i wind the tie rod will it come off or will i need to take the rack off to change it?

tom_beverley
14-10-07, 07:00 PM
Track rod end you mean? You don't need to take the rack off no, but before you remove the rod from the hub make sure you slacken the retaining nut securing the track rod on the rack (use a spanner on the flat areas on the rack 'arm'). Its easier doing it whilst the track rod is held in the hub rather than trying to do hold the rack and slacken the nut ;)

If you did mean tie rod/bar then you don't need to touch the steering rack.

Jeff16v
14-10-07, 07:45 PM
I tried removing the lock nut on the track rod end and the bugger wouldn't shift, even after soaking it in wd and heating it up. (and yes, i was turning it the right way). the locknut has already had the shoulders rounded off so the spanner was useless. i ended up trying the grind up the track rod end and through the lock nut to try and get them to split off. the buggers won't move, i don't want to grind to deep in case it f*cks the thread but now i'm left with a 1 wheel steering nova, it was a lot of fun trying to park it getting out every 30 secs to turn the nsf wheel by hand.

i'm trying to work out whether i can un-wind the bar back to the rack rather than taking the whole rack off.

CP
15-10-07, 08:16 PM
The track rod arm is not threaded at the steering rack end - its a ball joint so you can turn it as much as you want it wont affect anything. Since the lock nut has rounded off there is only 1 way to free it off - put it back on to the track rod arm so you can hold it securely. Then you need special tools like a set of stilsons or plumbers grips which grip anything vaguely nut shaped. They need to be heavy duty and have a handle at least 18" long to get enough purchase on them. Heating will only work if you use oxy-acetylene/butane which will get the nut at least cherry red hot

Jeff16v
16-10-07, 08:46 PM
Thanks CP, for info i angle grinded the end of the track rod off and was left with the threaded bit, i tried splitting it by grinding through and and failed. i got some penetrating oil and gave it a good spray. then got some stilsons as suggested and managed to get the locknut undone and the rest off the tie rod off. yippee, shes back on the road. I was expecting to have to buy a new rack, i was sure i'd ground into the thread but it was fine. i re-used the old lock nut which is showing battle damaged but i will order another from Vauxhall.

thanks for the help.