PDA

View Full Version : New ECU?

BenNova
13-10-07, 08:32 PM
is it possible to buy a new and uprated ECU for my GTE/GSi? If so where from and any clue how much ?

Mike
13-10-07, 08:36 PM
Only a chip is avalible for a 1.6, providing its the Bosch ECU, as the Seimens ECU is a sealed unit.

And no, Bosch and Seimens ECU's are not interchangable between the two variations of GTE/GSi engine loom :thumb:

Mike
13-10-07, 08:38 PM
P.S. Superchips for a Bosch ECU are ?295 for 5bhp.

Philsutton
13-10-07, 08:39 PM
will be money pissed away as you wont be able to use it if you decide to do any other modifications at a later date, and IMO is a waste of money on a N/A anyway. Save up for some megasquirt :thumb:

Adam
13-10-07, 09:08 PM
Exactly as Phil said. Can buy a built MS for the price of a chip.
And ms can run any engine, and be tuned properly.

BenNova
14-10-07, 06:49 PM
but phil i'm being detered by the turbo 1.6 as the cost is so high and only for en extra 50bhp from standard and i'm looking over ?3k to do it properly and with shiny bits. lol

Philsutton
14-10-07, 06:54 PM
that is true an hence why I keep saying 2lt turbo as that would be similair price but aot more reliable an more power available, just isnt different thats all.

BenNova
16-10-07, 11:55 AM
there must be something else i can do to the 1.6 i've heard about certain cams that do abit or am i gonna have to go 2 ltr. I love my small block tho :(

craig green
16-10-07, 12:02 PM
A small T2 turbo will add approx 50bhp to the std 100, which will make the std car look ike its going backwards. Do a little more work & perhaps knock on the door of 200 & you really would be in a different league to the std car performance.

As for modding the N/A lump you can lower the spring tension in the AFM (very slightly) if you lift the lid off. Also cut into the plastic underneath & make the contact run along the track further. Hard to explain but should become clear if you have a look, again only slightly (1mm max).

Cam? Have you got a 4 branch?
Serviced properly & timed up nicely?

Stuart
16-10-07, 12:23 PM
and how do you "time up" an eelctronically controlled system (without a recalibration) ? ;)

Adam
16-10-07, 01:02 PM
Move the dizzy?

Stuart
16-10-07, 01:08 PM
still wont adjsut the timing as we found out on dans car before converting to the 1400 dizzy setup....

Adam
16-10-07, 01:21 PM
I assumed this guys still running standard injection.
If so when you move the static dizzy timing, it moves the whole ignition timing afaik.
It looked that way when i checked my spi with a strobe gun anyway.

If i backed the timing right off, the timing felt out all through the rev range(kept holding back). Advanced it again and it was miles better all through the revs, meaning the ecu must have advanced the whole map due to me moving its static timing figure?

It has no knock sensor either, so it cant pull the timing out itself.

Without the ecu receiving all the signals it wants(tps, afm etc etc), it just sits the timing at idle advance permanently, which i guess is what happened in dans case on his 1600...

Stuart
16-10-07, 01:26 PM
back it too far and the electrodes wont line up to spark properly ;)

Adam
16-10-07, 01:43 PM
Lol, true.

BenNova
17-10-07, 10:44 PM
so whats gonna give me more power honestly a 1.6 turbo or just a 2ltr conversion ? coz lets face it i'm looking at 3k no matter which road i take. I dont fancy a LET in my nova as i really want it to out handle everyone.

craig green
18-10-07, 09:47 AM
2 Ltr, or failing that, bolt in an 1800 smallblock 16v.

Good motors, with a dbilas inlet (or similar) even better!

BenNova
18-10-07, 01:33 PM
what about these dbilas inlets on the 1600 ? i've heard bad things from mr Sutton about the dbilas things but seen some good results on a corsa C. Are they anygood or a waste of money, opinions on dbilas tuned GSI's anyone?

craig green
18-10-07, 01:39 PM
Generally good stuff, however they do a throttle body setup which is pretty pants as it uses the std management still (for C16Se's etc) that is pretty crap, the powerboxes for the small block XE's are very good & they also do turbo kits for the newer Xe's incl 1200 which seem to be very good. 165bhp for a 1200!

BenNova
18-10-07, 02:32 PM
but they dont do any inlets or turbo conversions for the older e16se models or if they do where might i find one ?

Lee
18-10-07, 02:40 PM
so whats gonna give me more power honestly a 1.6 turbo or just a 2ltr conversion ? coz lets face it i'm looking at 3k no matter which road i take. I dont fancy a LET in my nova as i really want it to out handle everyone.

Youll be doing well to spend 3K on an XE conversion. Do it yourself, and itll cost you less than a grand as its been done so much the parts are readily availiable. Spend money on the chassis as well and itll handle just as well as a small block. Its taken us bloody years to dispel that myth in the Nova community lol

DOing things different are always good, but the money escalates.

craig green
18-10-07, 02:59 PM
Spend money on the chassis as well and itll handle just as well as a small block. Its taken us bloody years to dispel that myth in the Nova community

:roll:

lol

BenNova
18-10-07, 05:22 PM
so the final answer is 2ltr then! i'm just a bit put off, because every nova you see now has a XE under the bonet. I just wanted to have something a bit different, but i have been suggested that R1 bike carbs on my GSi would be different and effective anyone know much about that idea ?

Adam
18-10-07, 05:25 PM
so the final answer is 2ltr then! i'm just a bit put off, because every nova you see now has a XE under the bonet.
Theres a reason for that tho.....

BenNova
19-10-07, 08:26 PM
thanks for the advice guys :thumb: