PDA

View Full Version : Braided brake hoses rubbing

Glengy
13-10-07, 12:27 PM
hey everyone

I fitted some braided brake hoses a while ago and was just checking the car over because the mot is coming up and they have been rubbing on the strut and driveshafts.

Ive just moved the union around where it connects to the caliper to try and move the hose away. I also bent the bracket where the hose clips to the body to sort of point it away from the strut.

Problem is its still really close. Has anyone else had a similar problem?? Or have an idea of what i can do to stop the rubbing?

Cheers for any help lads.

Iain
13-10-07, 12:50 PM
Yes! I had the exact same problem, resulting in a failed MOT. I drilled a small hole and bolted a p-clip to the strut to hold the hose out of the way.

Will get pics up in a second

Iain
13-10-07, 12:59 PM
Drivers side wheel full lock:

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/Braided1.JPG

Drivers side full lock the other way:

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/Braided2.JPG

And passenger side:

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/Braided3.JPG

Hope that helps. You just need to make sure you don't make it so the angle is nice and the hose doesn't kink at all on full lock either way.

Adam
13-10-07, 01:16 PM
Sounds like these goodridge hoses are more hassel than there worth tbh.
Fooking deadly if one rubbed through on the driveshaft!

Glengy
13-10-07, 01:17 PM
Cheers iainel.

Will give it a go. Did you replace your hoses?

Iain
13-10-07, 01:21 PM
Yeah they're a little bit of hassle, mainly due to them being shorter than the original items.

No probs Glengy. Did I replace what? I replaced the original rubber items with those Goodridge hoses and ended up having to do that due to them scrubbing on the driveshaft/chassis etc.

Glengy
13-10-07, 02:25 PM
when the braided hoses rubbed did u replace them?

Iain
13-10-07, 02:56 PM
Those are the ones that rubbed, you can see how I've clipped them to the strut to stop them from rubbing. I had just built the car so had to MOT it before I drove it, so they hadn't been rubbing long enough to do them any damage to them.

Glengy
13-10-07, 03:08 PM
oh i see. Im going to have to replace mine.

Ive just been out and had a good look and the hoses arent long enough to do what you have.

Jack
13-10-07, 03:50 PM
Incidentally, whoch hose set is that? The GTE/SR set, or the GSi set?

craig green
13-10-07, 03:56 PM
My mates Goodridge ones rubbed & kinked up, they were crap. I had MOCAL ones which seem thicker & more substantial.

Technically they arent for road use anyway.

Wrap them in spirawrap, I've seen them on rally cars like that.

Iain
13-10-07, 04:12 PM
Incidentally, whoch hose set is that? The GTE/SR set, or the GSi set?

My set was an SR/GTE kit from RallyDesign.

Glengy
13-10-07, 04:22 PM
i have the goodridge gsi set rj

mowgli
13-10-07, 10:50 PM
Having fitted tons of hydraulic hoses to Agric/plant etc, you can quite often get the pipes to work well if you twist them round & turn the steering a few times until you get them in the right place, then lock them tight.