PDA

View Full Version : Choke

ade
20-06-02, 01:33 AM
There once was a time when my trusty 1.2 mk2 nova wouldnt move unless I gave her a good throttling with the old choke regardless of the time of year (Scotland = winter every day!)

However since fitting me k&n I have noticed that I actually dont need to use the choke on most days and although a llittle tender, me nova will actually start, idle and pull away with NO choke. After 2 minutes shes up and about pulling away as if fully warmed up!

Now...why is this?

The fitting instructions did say that the K&N installation "may" require the carbs idle/mixture setting be adjusted as it the cars old air box starved the car and so the mix/idles were higher. The engine when warm does sound like it is idling a little faster than usual ( a litttle ) but to be honest since fitting k&n, not only am I getting an improvement in acceleration, no need to use choke but also better fuel economy? My top speed has also increased and - not that I have ever driven above the speed limit or owt mr police man - but someone reminded me whilst I was driving that I was actually doing over 105!

Should I bother changing the settings and idle the carb down a bit or is it ok where it is? Rather not adjust it if its happy...

Ade

dave.gsi
20-06-02, 12:13 PM
if everythings running sweet an your happy, then why change it??

Ste_Nova
20-06-02, 12:23 PM
my 1.0 doesn't need any choke... it needed loads in the winter... i have no air box or filter

pickle2000
20-06-02, 02:16 PM
My 1.2 always seems to need a little bit of a choke just to get it started, otherwise it seems to die straight away.
If it is working without any now then I wouldn't change it - especially since you are saying that it has improved the performance and also the fuel comsumption.........