PDA

View Full Version : nova 1.6 8v not running right

adam c
12-10-07, 08:52 PM
hi my 1.6 8v nova doesnt seem to want to run!a while ago it cut out when it was raining and wouldnt rev so i put it down to the plug leads and i thought everything was okay but since it has started to missfire.anyway last night it was running really bad(it would seem to not want to rev over 3500-4000rpm)so forgot all about it and on the way to work i noticed it was doing the same and then started to lose power all together.so i pulled up and it was idling really bad and when i put my foot down to rev it would pop and fart and it would cut out but if i slowly put my foot down it would rev fine but then when i let revs drop it would idle crap again.i replaced the plug leads about 3 week ago and the distributor cap and rotor arm look fairly new.i also replaced the injection module today but it seems the same.it was low on fuel when it happened but it has been missfiring for quite a while whether it be a full tank or on reserve.any help would be very very much appreciated http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif

greg1.4
12-10-07, 08:56 PM
i would try the air flow meter..dont really know much about gsi engines but my mate had bother with a nova similar to what you are describing and it was the air flow meter iirc.

it might be worth sticking in some new plugs and dizzy cap etc, even if its not the probem (which it might be) itl not go wrong..

Greg

craig green
12-10-07, 10:07 PM
Check gaps on plugs. Check the engine/box earth to chassis leg is intact, better to replace at a couple quid ideally though.

Pic of engine PLS?

adam c
12-10-07, 10:13 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/adam_c_2007/leahsummer070101.jpg
thats from a few months ago when i bought it

Adam
13-10-07, 12:09 AM
Maybe the ignition coil or dizzy sensor is dieing.

Engine bay looks tidy btw :)

adam c
13-10-07, 12:13 AM
wheres the dizzy sensor?

edit:is it just under the dizzy?

Adam
13-10-07, 12:31 AM
Its inside the dizzy itself.

To replace it a whole replacement dizzy is needed.

Also, check the fuel pump relay is ok, and not intermittent dying

adam c
13-10-07, 01:02 AM
how do you check the fuel pump?

Adam
13-10-07, 01:03 AM
Try another relay if you have one

nova lod.
14-10-07, 02:26 AM
defenetly ur air flow meter mate had same problem with mein changed the air flow meter she runs fine again the gte are bad for this problem

adam c
14-10-07, 11:47 AM
i have just taken the plugs out and starting from cambelt end no.1 plug is black but no.2,3 and 4 plugs are like a dark red colour?

Adam
14-10-07, 12:12 PM
Red?
Hmm, get some pics

adam c
14-10-07, 12:18 PM
i havent got my digi camera i will get some up tommorow.just gonna go to halfrauds now and get a set of spark plugs and put them in

adam c
14-10-07, 04:42 PM
just put the new plugs in and it seems okay at the min

craig green
15-10-07, 04:44 PM
Make sure there isnt any signs of arcing on the plug leads. I had trouble finding leads that connect properly on the black type dizzy cap.

Arcing will look like black sooty bits.

stevie78
15-10-07, 05:08 PM
adam when i sold it .the plugs / dizzy cap/ roter arm/leads were all new .try the injectors i did have trouble with 1 of them after the rebuild sounds like the same prob i had num 3 cylinder . as for the fuel pump relay its was bought new at rebuild aswell.