PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 1.2 First Car Project!

DTR-DEVIL
12-10-07, 07:56 PM
Mk1 1.2 Merit

Hey There,

Recently Turned 17 and Ditched my DTR-125 for a Nippy little 1.2Merit that i got off this Site for ?400! All my mates are driving around in New Pugs and Corsa's. So i thought id Opt out and get a car with a bit of Difference.
Not yet passed, all booked up for end of the month! Shes sitting on my Drive Waiting to be Driven!

Pics When Bought! (01/10/07)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/madcodling/DSC00238.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/madcodling/mycar3.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00352-3.jpg

So after buying The little Beauty i set to work. Seats were Fcuk'ed in the back. It had a Mk2 1.4sr red interior rear seats, no seatbelts or parcel shelf. Now i thought long and hard and come to the conclusion. 2 Seater! Save alot of time and hassle.

Stripped out Rear! (03/10/07);

[PICS TO COME!]

After That i Chucked a small Post on the PARTS WANTED section for a nova SR BUMPER AND GRILL!. 2 hours later, email recived from a bloke in scotland selling a mint set! done Payed ?115 for both with Delivery. Mint Set which had been sprayed black!

1 weeks wait due to the Fcuk'ing Post office!

The Day come, I Took the front off and Whacked em on!
It Changed the front end completly!

New Bumper and Grill! (09/10/07);

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00358-1.jpg

Now The Bumper and Complete, Im after a set of GTE/GSI Skirts. Seen a New GM set for ?109. If u got a set, Email me Gyrojosh90@aol.com at or PM me.

Ill keep this posted if anyones interested.

please any help will be gratly appreciated! U Were 17 once! Were insurance was ?1300TP! lol
(11/10/07)

:thumb:

Jack
12-10-07, 08:14 PM
Thats actually quite cheap on the insurance. How much would it have been standard, without the mods listed on the policy?

Front end looks much better now too.

adamz
12-10-07, 08:23 PM
the insurance on my first car , 1.2 sx nova (wink wink) was 1200 on my own fully comp , didn't think that was to bad !

stuartyj21
12-10-07, 08:24 PM
that insurance quote is not to bad:D

stuartyj21
12-10-07, 08:26 PM
good luck with the car and test mate, glad to see your going old skool with a nova:thumb:

carls nova sri
12-10-07, 08:26 PM
good project mate

DTR-DEVIL
12-10-07, 08:43 PM
Cheers for the replys, yer thats not IMO, without mods though! Oh well. it just annoying sitting there! Waiting to be driven! im tempted with a quick spin! It surprised me how nippy the Little 4 speeder was! lol

DTR-DEVIL
12-10-07, 08:45 PM
Thats actually quite cheap on the insurance. How much would it have been standard, without the mods listed on the policy?

Front end looks much better now too.

Thats without Mods Listed. Props around the 1500 mk. Its not too bad. I work full time as a trainee butcher, I Live with my parents and dont pay housekeep. So money at this point is all getting pumped into this motor! :thumb:

Dave.
12-10-07, 08:47 PM
looks nice. good to see another nova bieng done up as it shoudl be. keep it goin that way matey and youll have yourself a little minter show car there matey :thumb:

DTR-DEVIL
12-10-07, 08:50 PM
looks nice. good to see another nova bieng done up as it shoudl be. keep it goin that way matey and youll have yourself a little minter show car there matey :thumb:

Yer i see so many Chavvy's ruin these motor, it was last VP show that inspired me! Hoping to get it Mint for VP. so might be seeing some of u up there!

DTR-DEVIL
13-10-07, 12:38 PM
Right,

Most of the pics ive posted are in its best of light. The body could do with a little clean up!

Rear left Quarter

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00359.jpg

Drivers Door

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00360.jpg
Engine!
Pretty Mint for Age and 75k on the clock!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00365.jpg

Messy Interior!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00363.jpg

Im hoping to sort all of this out next week from a mate of mine who is pretty hot on bodyrepair. Otherwise would anyone recommend?

muzzy
13-10-07, 01:57 PM
nice to see a young person going down the sublte route rather than going totally OTT

good luck loon!

big gra
13-10-07, 03:38 PM
good going so far!!! nice to see your l=keeping original mk1 bits and not going for mk2 bumpers!!

carls nova sri
13-10-07, 05:38 PM
fair play it does look clean any more pics of engine bay

DTR-DEVIL
13-10-07, 06:37 PM
fair play it does look clean any more pics of engine bay
Yep, Got a pic of the rear. Run out of space in shed, so using it as one atm. Going skip 2moz, Hopefully get it cleaned up ready for the chrome cage! :D

Engine bay 2

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00364.jpg

Rear!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00361.jpg

am looking to chuck most of it, if anyones interested in a set of rear Mk2 Sr seats let me know, or an oringal Merit Bumper (?2O ono collection Only!)
Only gonna get chucked away!

DTR-DEVIL
13-10-07, 06:42 PM
good going so far!!! nice to see your l=keeping original mk1 bits and not going for mk2 bumpers!!

Yer Basically going for the SR look. Not too fond of the Mk2's, been done to death. Wanted something Retro but still keeping that Fast, Stylish look. Hello Mk1! I see ur after a set of bumpers. i got a front bumper, if interested i can send u picks. Pick up only im afraid. unless u organise a courier'

Steve
13-10-07, 09:41 PM
Looks like a good first car mate, i think I got quoted ?1000 for my 1.0. although a bad idea I went on daddys insurance! lol

Got most of a brown interior for sale if you're going for the retro look.

stuartyj21
13-10-07, 09:48 PM
:thumb: goodluck with the car mate, rollcage should look the dogs danglies

DTR-DEVIL
14-10-07, 12:57 AM
:thumb: goodluck with the car mate, rollcage should look the dogs danglies

Indeed! The Muts Nuts! :thumb:

NOVA_LEE
14-10-07, 12:58 AM
my insurance is ona 1.2 nova merit+ nearly ?1700 a year but i can afford it, nice nova fella

Shaun_O'Donnell
14-10-07, 08:26 AM
After That i Chucked a small Post on the PARTS WANTED section for a nova SR BUMPER AND GRILL!. 2 hours later, email recived from a bloke in scotland selling a mint set! done Payed ?115 for both with Delivery. Mint Set which had been sprayed black!
1 weeks wait due to the Fcuk'ing Post office!

The Day come, I Took the front off and Whacked em on!
It Changed the front end completly!

I was scrolling through this thread and I thought, "they look familier!"

Glad they got to you and all in one piece.

Keep up the good work,

Shaun.

Dave.
14-10-07, 11:43 AM
dont chuck that silver grill. people are allways after mk1 grills

it looks nice. get a mk2 dash in there and youll be onto a winner

Jack
14-10-07, 12:06 PM
Thats without Mods Listed.
So its not insured then.

DTR-DEVIL
14-10-07, 02:09 PM
I was scrolling through this thread and I thought, "they look familier!"

Glad they got to you and all in one piece.

Keep up the good work,

Shaun.

yer I Couldnt be happier with them! looks well nice!

Cheers mate! cant thank ya enough! :thumb:

20SEHnova
14-10-07, 02:10 PM
looks really nice mate :)

DTR-DEVIL
14-10-07, 02:11 PM
So its not insured then.

Nope not yet, waiting till i pass. I havent yet got a quote with mods included, but if they sting me on it ill prop just go with Undeclared mods. enough as it is!

DTR-DEVIL
14-10-07, 02:11 PM
looks really nice mate :)

Cheers mate, should be looking Mint once i get her on the road!

Jack
14-10-07, 02:36 PM
but if they sting me on it ill prop just go with Undeclared mods. enough as it is!
Hmm, be very careful about that. Not declaring mods will invalidate your insurance!

Shaun_O'Donnell
14-10-07, 09:53 PM
Hmm, be very careful about that. Not declaring mods will invalidate your insurance!

Wisely spoken, erm, typed words.

and if your insurance is deemed invalid and you're out on the road, that's 6 points and a re-sit of your licence.

Be careful - be sensible.

Shaun.

gazz
14-10-07, 10:29 PM
you could insure it as standard but every week add a couple of mods to the ins list as it dont cost you as much in the end..

but as said be careful..:thumb:

DTR-DEVIL
15-10-07, 12:31 PM
you could insure it as standard but every week add a couple of mods to the ins list as it dont cost you as much in the end..

but as said be careful..:thumb:

Not bad idea! yer people have said its dangerous! Wat about Engine Mods, E.g Cams, webbers etc. U gotta declare them? or is it just Exterior mods?

Steve
15-10-07, 12:50 PM
The whole lot im afraid.. not worth taking the risk as many have found out!

P Whack
15-10-07, 01:08 PM
Never have truer words been spoken

Jack
15-10-07, 01:12 PM
Yep, declare everything. Even things you might not consider to be mods, at least inform the insurance and let THEM decide, although rule of thumb is anything it didn't leave the factory with - consumables aside of course - is a mod. Bear in mind they'll look for any excuse to get out of paying up for a claim!

As for adding mods on an ad-hoc basis, that may work against you. Each time they change the policy (i.e. add a mod), they may well charge you an admin fee.

Best option is to ask the insurance company for their stance on mods when you get the quotations. What mods are you allowed, what are the costs etc. And of course, make sure you keep a record of what they've told you with regard to mods (CIS once told me styling mods are free, but then tried to charge me ?70 for a bodykit!).

Shaun_O'Donnell
15-10-07, 09:07 PM
Bear in mind they'll look for any excuse to get out of paying up for a claim!!

That is so true. I have just ended a 5 month battle with insurance companies for the settlement of the written off P1, their tactic, in my opinion, is to drag things out so you give up and accept defeat.

Insurance companies are there to make money, full stop!

Shaun_O'Donnell
15-10-07, 09:07 PM
On a lighter note, any progress mate?

LONG~BAR
15-10-07, 09:18 PM
?1000+ for a sodding nova! yikes! my quote for my s14a from japan is ?1100. but saying that I'm 23, 3years ncb and hav been driving 4years+

DTR-DEVIL
15-10-07, 10:44 PM
On a lighter note, any progress mate?

Yer, Basically my wheels are up for sale, ill make a proper post 2moz. im after a set of Cav slabs. Speaking to a person atm, but is very slow in responding. anyone with a mint set w/tyres im willing to pay good money.

Other than that, cleaned all the **** out the back and gave the girl a good solid clean! THEORY ON WENDESDAY :S

Jack
15-10-07, 10:52 PM
There's a set of slabs on ebay at the mo.

Good luck with the theory :thumb:

Shaun_O'Donnell
16-10-07, 07:31 AM
?1000+ for a sodding nova! yikes! my quote for my s14a from japan is ?1100. but saying that I'm 23, 3years ncb and hav been driving 4years+

My first insurance quote for a 1.2 Nova Saloon Merit was ?1200, and I had passplus! Was 18 at the time.

The company was Swindon Insurance!

Steve
16-10-07, 09:55 AM
Pm'd you dtr-devil about the parts, have a look for gsi's getting broken on ebay, i got lucky with a cheap set of 16v calipers as the guy only wanted the car for the engine and was practically giving the rest away!

Any pics of the front bumper?

DTR-DEVIL
17-10-07, 12:53 PM
Pm'd you dtr-devil about the parts, have a look for gsi's getting broken on ebay, i got lucky with a cheap set of 16v calipers as the guy only wanted the car for the engine and was practically giving the rest away!

Any pics of the front bumper?

Is it an oringal MK1 bumper your after!? yer i will do Cheers mate.
Where abouts u from in kent? should meet up sometime once ive got the beauty on the road.

DTR-DEVIL
17-10-07, 01:05 PM
Anyone who is looking at doing there theory test! trust me, it aint easy!
50 question for the theory and i was up all night. I didnt 15 mock exams and passed 1! It has a question bank of over 1200! :confused:

Luckly the long night payed off! :D Its been Shopped i didnt actually scribble it out!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC003812.jpg

NovaLad
17-10-07, 03:51 PM
Well done!

Wish i could pass mine.

DTR-DEVIL
17-10-07, 04:22 PM
Well done!

Wish i could pass mine.

have u tried before?

NovaLad
17-10-07, 04:28 PM
Failed on the hazard perception by 1 point twice.

And you can't even apeal to the dsa :(

I wouldn't mind if i failed by alot but 1 point takes the piss.!

Steve
17-10-07, 06:48 PM
Is it an oringal MK1 bumper your after!? yer i will do Cheers mate.
Where abouts u from in kent? should meet up sometime once ive got the beauty on the road.
Im not after a front bumper, I thought you said you'd just fitted one but hadnt posted the pic up yet.
From maidstone, let me know when you past your test, persoanlly I found the theory test harder than the practical! lol

Let me know if your interested in any of those parts :thumb:

db_1.2
17-10-07, 11:25 PM

I know the feeling! Ah well my mate managed to fail his 5 times then gave up! So he rides his mums push bike now!lol

DTR-DEVIL
17-10-07, 11:50 PM
Im not after a front bumper, I thought you said you'd just fitted one but hadnt posted the pic up yet.
From maidstone, let me know when you past your test, persoanlly I found the theory test harder than the practical! lol

Let me know if your interested in any of those parts :thumb:

yer pics are on there, SR Bumper and Grill Page 1. Nice! im only about half hour Max away. Was u up modded few weeks back in detling? I Love ur Motor, i have to agree Mk1's are the best! :thumb:

DTR-DEVIL
17-10-07, 11:52 PM
I know the feeling! Ah well my mate managed to fail his 5 times then gave up! So he rides his mums push bike now!lol

If u Dont mind im quoting that for my sig!

its funny though, My mate has passed his test, Quit his job, turned into a bum and rode around on his "BEST MATE's, DAD's Pushbike" :confused: Which is worse than His mum cause he dont even own it!lol

DTR-DEVIL
17-10-07, 11:55 PM

I have to recommend though "DRIVING TEST SUCCESS" CD-ROM!
It basically help to pass. Dont bother with the highway code! I havent and never will read one! Just buy it for about ?8 and sit the Theory and HP test's over and over again! soon u just remember.
I sat a mock about 23 times, passed twice!
But when it came to the day it was fresh in my mind!
Passed Theory by 4 and the HP by 13! :D

NovaLad
18-10-07, 12:42 AM
The thoery is easy it's the hazard perception i don't get...

I have the disc but only the old 1 with 35 questions because i sat it when it was only 35 questions and failed by 1 then revised on same cd for 50 quesions when it changed and still failed by 1 which aint bad lol haha!

Oh well if i fail atleast another couple of times i will just leave it a bit and sort out my motorbike licence.

Jack
18-10-07, 09:16 AM
Without wanting to p!ss on anybodys parade, the theory is easy. Just apply some common sense and you'll wing it with ease.

The hazard perception test is pretty easy too (never had that in my day, but I've since done it a few times on a CD Alex had), the hardest part is identifying what THEY consider a hazard, and when to click.

NovaLad
18-10-07, 09:23 AM
Without wanting to p!ss on anybodys parade, the theory is easy. Just apply some common sense and you'll wing it with ease.

The hazard perception test is pretty easy too (never had that in my day, but I've since done it a few times on a CD Alex had), the hardest part is identifying what THEY consider a hazard, and when to click.
For a second their i was gunna rant at you for the 1st bit till i read on...

The theory is easy as fook yes.

I don't know why i can't pass the HP...

It doesn't matter anyway if i don't pass soon then i will leave it and sell teh nova.

Steve
18-10-07, 10:56 AM
yer pics are on there, SR Bumper and Grill Page 1. Nice! im only about half hour Max away. Was u up modded few weeks back in detling? I Love ur Motor, i have to agree Mk1's are the best! :thumb:
Was going to go to it last year but didnt, and dint even realise it was on this year until I'd missed it!

Did you go then? Im not overly keen on massive bodykits etc... so don't think I missed out tbh! lol

Andy
19-10-07, 09:06 PM
I didnt revise much for mine as i took it when i was very ill but still passed well,the hp =as long as you dont click too often,ie 33 times a second can click at anything you deem as a hazard

Jack
20-10-07, 10:57 AM
It doesn't matter anyway if i don't pass soon then i will leave it and sell teh nova.
http://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/yesay.gif

Alex.
20-10-07, 11:06 AM
I found both parts easy tbh. Maybe because the CD was amazing, and most of the questions I got on test I'd answered that morning. lol
It was the practical I hated. Don't like being put under pressure:(

d171jvf
20-10-07, 12:12 PM
i got disqualified from one of the hazard perception clips for clicking too many times!
got to admit though if you have any common sense you can pass a theory test.
proof; i did!

also my insurance is ?1500 mods declared on this
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/Benji6_6/Nova5.jpg

DTR-DEVIL
20-10-07, 06:04 PM
i got disqualified from one of the hazard perception clips for clicking too many times!
got to admit though if you have any common sense you can pass a theory test.
proof; i did!

also my insurance is ?1500 mods declared on this
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/Benji6_6/Nova5.jpg

That is one of the nicest novas ive seen mate. I want ur wheels and ur seats! :thumb:

DTR-DEVIL
28-10-07, 12:49 PM
Hey,

Sorry havent updated this for a while,
Just a quick update. Got myself a Mint Digi off Ebay Showing 52k with the Translucer.

Dont think im gonna attempt fitting it into my Mk1 dash, ive heard it aint easy. Anyone got a Mk2 dash Let me know! :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00383.jpg

Matt2107
28-10-07, 02:05 PM
You should have a nice strut brace to go on it in a few days.

DTR-DEVIL
28-10-07, 02:27 PM
You should have a nice strut brace to go on it in a few days.

yer!, along with a Chromed Rocket Cover and a Blue Set of HT Leads :thumb:

coochiSR
28-10-07, 02:32 PM
The old clock's just standard one's then? And yeah i was gonna have a go at putting one in the Blue one, but cba with all the hassle they are, Good luck!

Pillar
28-10-07, 05:54 PM
got a mk2 dash in my loft, come collect you can have it for free!!!

DTR-DEVIL
28-10-07, 09:48 PM
The old clock's just standard one's then? And yeah i was gonna have a go at putting one in the Blue one, but cba with all the hassle they are, Good luck!
I thought that the Digis fit straight into the mk1 dash's, but been told that the dash needs modifying and its easyier to fit it into a MK2 dash, so just gonna keep it till that job comes up!. U got a Mk2 anyway though aint ya? The wiring isnt too bad, got a diagram and tutorial if u need it!

coochiSR
29-10-07, 07:07 PM
No, got rid of it now, got the blue one, good old Mk1 ;)

Dave.
29-10-07, 07:54 PM
digi clocks rule! are they the 8v or 16v sort?

DTR-DEVIL
29-10-07, 10:00 PM
digi clocks rule! are they the 8v or 16v sort?

Erm i havent yet Wired it up to see the rev counter. so i honestly dont know weather its the tick or the curve. Oh well, both of em look good. getting some? fit easy in ur mk2:thumb:

DTR-DEVIL
29-10-07, 10:03 PM
No, got rid of it now, got the blue one, good old Mk1 ;)

haha! yer mk1's rule. The look so much better IMO.:D

Dave.
30-10-07, 12:17 AM
theyre 8v matey i think. if you look closely in the pic you can see on the right screen the curve shape of the oil stuff lol

ive allready got them in mine matey lol

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/x_novadose_x/IM001507.jpg

imo 100000x better than anolouge clocks anyday :thumb:

Jim Mcrae
30-10-07, 12:25 AM
^^^Think you need some petrol dave^^^ lol

Jack
30-10-07, 08:20 AM
You sir, are a homo.

Nick
30-10-07, 12:16 PM
theyre 8v matey i think. if you look closely in the pic you can see on the right screen the curve shape of the oil stuff lol

ive allready got them in mine matey lol

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/x_novadose_x/IM001507.jpg

Curves are 16v's aren't they ?

The Digi Clocks look pretty cool, but they're ****ing useless for track. The rev counter is pretty vauge and mine is heavily obscured by my steering wheel....

I'm going back to clocks soon !

DTR-DEVIL
01-11-07, 06:10 PM
Ok!, so ive hit a minor setback!

Went in for its first service since ive had it and its not good News,

ARCORDING to the garage I Currently need

- New HeadGasket! (skimmed etc)
- Brake Setup (Pipes, Pads etc)
- New Wheel Bearing
- Welding In Rear Right arch
- leeky rad
- Plugs and leads
and a few other parts.

Ive had a Quote for everything (So it will pass the M.O.T Easy in January!) for around the ?500 mark! being 17 thats alot of money. not too sure wat im gonna do bearing in mind i only paid ?400 for it. Which now seems way tooo much for the condition.

although its funny how these things occur, im not great on engines but i know right from wrong, and driving the car it just seemed like it was running sweet as a nut! (apart from the tracking lol).

My dads said i should Weight it in and sell my wheels, but I couldnt bear seeing it.

Thinking of selling but not sure. currently has 75k on the clock!

dunno wat im gonna do but i cant let it go!!

will post as soon as i know! :(

coochiSR
01-11-07, 06:32 PM
Do you want me to come up and let you know if you being ripped off or not? Did they give you any reasoning behind it?

DTR-DEVIL
01-11-07, 06:37 PM
Do you want me to come up and let you know if you being ripped off or not? Did they give you any reasoning behind it?

Ive had a good mate of mine check it out tonight, and he reckons some of its true and it does honestly need it. But the garage belives that the MOT it got in janaury is a fake because between last january and today its done a total of 150miles! either the boy who had it before me(who wasnt even driving yet) Ragged the absoulte **** out of it on a field or something, or its a fake MOT. Dunno wat too belive.

Think my dads coming round to helping me out. I dont want to let her go!
Cheers for the help cooch i appreciate it. Ill let u know mate! :thumb:

coochiSR
01-11-07, 06:40 PM
Yeah no worries. Just give me a bit of notice if you do need a hand and i'll pop up at the weekend's when possible.

I'd say 500 was too cheap for all of that TBH aswell. All of it is straight foward and if you keep your head down you'll get most of it done in a weekend. More than happy to help, i'll PM you my number, incase you need to get hold of me, not always on here.

Steve
01-11-07, 07:02 PM
Arent all MOTs computerised now? you could always have it checked with.. well whoever checks MOT certificates! theres always the possibility that the speedo cable snapped and stopped counting the mileage.

Doesnt sound a bad price for the work, but if your not totally happy you could alway get an estimate off another garage. Also if your getting the brakes done you might as well pay a few more quid and get 16v brakes. :thumb:

Jack
01-11-07, 07:17 PM
Hmm, its possible that all that may have gone wrong between the MOTs. The last one may have been a lazy tester as well.

Head gasket is easy. You're looking at about <?50 all in for that, including skimming the head.

Brake setup... replacement second hand hoses shouldn't be hard to source if you can't afford new (braided ones perhaps?). Pads and discs on a 1.2 should be uber-cheap - look on ebay - and you can DIY those. As said, you may even find someone selling a complete 16v brake setup.

Wheel bearing; again ebay yields results. I'd say ~?15 for a front, or ?10 for a rear.

Welding; find someone local who's handy with a welder, perhaps offer them a cash in hand job. I've never had to spend more than ?40-50 having patches welded on a Nova.

Radiator; check the for sale forums on here for a used one, or look for someone who is upgrading to an XE and is ditching an old rad, maybe try some radweld to get it through the MOT for now.

A set of sparkplugs and HT leads should be less than ?30 all together, again an easy job to replace.

Ash
01-11-07, 07:40 PM
standard hoses are about ?8iirc brand new.

When the head is 'done' you will need new bolts as well ;)

DTR-DEVIL
01-11-07, 11:06 PM
Hmm, its possible that all that may have gone wrong between the MOTs. The last one may have been a lazy tester as well.

Head gasket is easy. You're looking at about <?50 all in for that, including skimming the head.

Brake setup... replacement second hand hoses shouldn't be hard to source if you can't afford new (braided ones perhaps?). Pads and discs on a 1.2 should be uber-cheap - look on ebay - and you can DIY those. As said, you may even find someone selling a complete 16v brake setup.

Wheel bearing; again ebay yields results. I'd say ~?15 for a front, or ?10 for a rear.

Welding; find someone local who's handy with a welder, perhaps offer them a cash in hand job. I've never had to spend more than ?40-50 having patches welded on a Nova.

Radiator; check the for sale forums on here for a used one, or look for someone who is upgrading to an XE and is ditching an old rad, maybe try some radweld to get it through the MOT for now.

A set of sparkplugs and HT leads should be less than ?30 all together, again an easy job to replace.

Thank You razor.. U really know ur stuff! :thumb: i shall look into it further! i can think of better things to spend ?500 on! 15inch Comps :cry:

After this has been down and a yrs MOT, the project is going to take off!

DTR-DEVIL
01-11-07, 11:06 PM
standard hoses are about ?8iirc brand new.

When the head is 'done' you will need new bolts as well ;)
Included in price ;)

DTR-DEVIL
13-11-07, 12:45 PM
Rights its been a few weeks!

Its been in for its service and come out ok. Need Headgasket Skimmed etc. Welding and normal service Sh!t. Totally a nice little bill of ?454. Which i dont think is too bad!

My rooms slowly filling up with things to fit. So i had a day off and chucked on my Chromed Rocket and Strut! (cheers matt!:thumb:)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00404.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00406.jpg

I also Picked up a mint head unit off my mate that i got out of his old Fiesta. RRP ?329.99! Mates rates ?120 :).

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00411.jpg

Although im Stumped on how to fit it? Heres a pic of the wires at the back. I heard somewhere i need a ISO thingy :confused:. Any help will be appreicated!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00412.jpg

Ok So now I Need to get rid of that Stupid Pie Dish that is the Airbox. Any ideas peeps. I dont want an Induction kit or anything that will make it Sound Loud and chavvy. Webbers perhaps? Can u fit em to a 1.2?

Cheers!

Josh :cool:

Matt2107
13-11-07, 01:41 PM
If you decide to keep the airbox I have a direct replacement K&N panel filter ;)

Welsh Dan
13-11-07, 03:00 PM
You can't fit an induction kit to the carb model, I'd just remove the 'arm' of the standard airbox, but keep the panel filter.

DTR-DEVIL
13-11-07, 05:24 PM
If you decide to keep the airbox I have a direct replacement K&N panel filter ;)

Sweet? any pics?

Steve
13-11-07, 06:07 PM
Not really worth changing the airbox at all on a 1.2, best bet is to just take it to your mechanics for a general tune up. Panel filter is all thats worth changing.

As for the headunit your current wiring might be a straight swap, it should have an ISO connector on it, and you can just plug the headunits plugs straight in. If its an older model you'll have to buy an ISO connector and wire that up first. :thumb:

Jack
13-11-07, 06:58 PM
Head unit, boo I got that beat - my dad gave me his 9812 free :D Wiring should be easy. Did it come with a manual? If not, I've got a link saved to Alpine's manual database.

You can fit T40s to a 1.2, its just a case of finding an inlet manifold to match the head. Can't remember if a 1.3 manifold is correct...

Dave.
13-11-07, 07:35 PM
good to see another one going in the right direction thats owned by one of us young uns lol

Matt2107
13-11-07, 08:20 PM
Sweet? any pics?

I can get pics at the weekend.
Its basically just the same as a panel filter but is better quality.
When I took it out I re-oiled it with the proper K&N oil.

They're supposedly guaranteed for a million miles.

It'll save you money in the long run ;)

Welsh Dan
13-11-07, 10:34 PM
Head unit, boo I got that beat - my dad gave me his 9812 free :D Wiring should be easy. Did it come with a manual? If not, I've got a link saved to Alpine's manual database.

You can fit T40s to a 1.2, its just a case of finding an inlet manifold to match the head. Can't remember if a 1.3 manifold is correct...

Yes the 1.3 manifold is correct, the 1.2 and 1.3 have the same inlet ports on the head. BUT, by the time you've bought twin 40's and the other gubbins to go with them, and had them set up, the same money will buy+insure an XE/baby XE.

craig green
14-11-07, 10:59 AM
Some nice stuff going on with this one....

Good attitude to Novas considering your age.

It really isnt worth modding a 1.2 8v tbh, it will barely gain any performance & buying new filters & exhausts will be mainly a waste of money tbh. Although a nice tailpipe is a styling mod obviously.

WRT the headunit, buy an ISO block from Halfrauds & wire it in which will enable the Alpine to plug in, failing that cut off the ISO on the back of the Alpine & join the wires (& insulate) at the back of the unit, though this is a badge IMO. Older Vauxhalls didnt have an ISO connector.

Keep at it.

btw its Rocker cover, not 'rocket'.

DTR-DEVIL
14-11-07, 12:36 PM
Some nice stuff going on with this one....

Good attitude to Novas considering your age.

It really isnt worth modding a 1.2 8v tbh, it will barely gain any performance & buying new filters & exhausts will be mainly a waste of money tbh. Although a nice tailpipe is a styling mod obviously.

WRT the headunit, buy an ISO block from Halfrauds & wire it in which will enable the Alpine to plug in, failing that cut off the ISO on the back of the Alpine & join the wires (& insulate) at the back of the unit, though this is a badge IMO. Older Vauxhalls didnt have an ISO connector.

Keep at it.

btw its Rocker cover, not 'rocket'.

Thanks Craig! yer slowly getting there. Decided to Leave the engine. Just clean it up a bit. Haha yer, im still learning! :thumb:

DTR-DEVIL
14-11-07, 12:40 PM

No I didnt! Could u PM me it plz rj? I think MK1 dash's are the best, The way the Headunit sits at the top of the Dash, allowing people to see ur Headunit setup from behind! :thumb:

k0ax
14-11-07, 02:15 PM
wow, great project ..

DTR-DEVIL
28-11-07, 06:52 PM
Just a quick update. Recived my mk2 Dash today and my haynes manual! Handy timing. Props fit it 2moz if everything goes well! and ive hopefully got myself a mint set of Rare Burberry Lookalike Sr seats! Ill keep ya posted :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/PB020197.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/PB020198.jpg

DTR-DEVIL
03-12-07, 03:08 PM
Ok so i havent fitted my Dash yet, But i got hold of them seats!

There in ok condition. needs a little bit of repairing but there ok.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00440.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00441.jpg

Although i have a small problem. when i bought em i didnt realise that the drivers seat is infact a Passenger seat that has a Drivers frame on it
it sticks out too much on the right and the drivers door only close's with a slam! although the seatbelt is in the correct postion. I also noticed the Lever to move the seat forward is on the left!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/gyrojosh/DSC00443.jpg

I was wondering? would having to slam the door or the seat being a tad over to the right effect the MOT at all??

All help Appreciated!

cheers Josh!

Welsh Dan
03-12-07, 06:01 PM
Provided the seat is secure, and that the door is secure once closed, it should be fine. Can you trim a little off the drivers door handle to make the door shut without a slam?

DTR-DEVIL
03-12-07, 10:21 PM
Provided the seat is secure, and that the door is secure once closed, it should be fine. Can you trim a little off the drivers door handle to make the door shut without a slam?

yer thats possible. Feels weird. Im not aligned with the steering wheel? good way to start driving! lol

Welsh Dan
03-12-07, 11:38 PM
Bear in mind that a drivers seat on a drivers frame still doesnt give you the right seating position in a nova lol.

DTR-DEVIL
04-12-07, 11:24 PM
Bear in mind that a drivers seat on a drivers frame still doesnt give you the right seating position in a nova lol.

lmao True. lol

Ive also decided to scrap the idea of a Stripped rear and a cage. Im gonna get the rear seats off him and have it for show! In the end its only a 1.2carb! lol

Matt2107
05-12-07, 01:19 PM
If your going for a show car my Leather interior would really suit your car.

mikec123
05-12-07, 08:15 PM
nice car keep it up i like the mk1's nice to see one!

DTR-DEVIL
07-12-07, 06:17 PM
Right, Quick Update.

This Sunday Im Fitting the Mk2 Dash, DigiDash, Rear Tartan Seats(Same as front) and parcelshelf. Thus Completly changing the inside of the car! Then straight out for a driving lesson and Test on wendesday! :D

Steve
07-12-07, 07:16 PM
What's the rest of the interior,grey? ive still got brown carpets and door cards that would go well with the seats.

walker-nova
07-12-07, 07:17 PM
nice one boss

DTR-DEVIL
08-12-07, 10:31 AM
What's the rest of the interior,grey? ive still got brown carpets and door cards that would go well with the seats.

Nah the rear seats are the same as the front seats. that tartan. i might be interested in the door cards? could u get us some pics. cheers!

DTR-DEVIL
09-12-07, 06:35 PM
Got my dash fitted today, need a few parts Urgent!

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=780217#post780217 (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=780217#post780217)

anyone! :)

DTR-DEVIL
18-12-07, 06:30 PM
Skirts arrived!, add it too the list of everygrowning things to do! :(