PDA

View Full Version : Clio 1.8 170bhp ??? Don't think so...

wisewood
19-06-02, 03:24 PM
A lad I know has bought a J plate clio 1.8.

It has K&N induction kit, stainless exhaust, ported n polished...
Standard everywhere else except wheels (15's)

What sort of BHP should it be running at because he seems to think it is 170bhp and according to parkers guide web site his car as standard is only about 120... Would the things I mentioned above add up to 50bhp :?:

Or is it the more likely possibility that his claims are just idle boasts?
I want to get his car on a rolling road so I can see his face when it shows up as much less... it would be so funny. Nevermind, he will have killed himself in it by the end of the month anyway.

Dave_Hay
19-06-02, 03:27 PM
id rather have the nova, much faster and more fun.

but between a clio williams and nova :?

them 1.8s r pretty nippy motors tho dont think they got much power top end tho?

wisewood
19-06-02, 03:30 PM
Thing is - could the mods i listed give him an extra 50bhp or has the bloke who sold him the car spotted him for the muppet he is and told him it was 170bhp to impress him - and he stupidly believed it.

I just don't see how it could make that much difference to it.

Ian
19-06-02, 03:51 PM
50bhp not a chance. you need throttle bodies for that sort of gain or huge internal mods.

and a lightly tuned 2.0 nova would kill a williams.

Breeny
19-06-02, 04:30 PM
Clio's are ok... but Novas are much better. Standard clio = 130bhp Standard 2.0 16v nova = 150 bhp. thats all you need to know! lol

?Marty?
19-06-02, 11:18 PM
A 2L 16v Nova aint standard though is it. And if you compared it to a clio with a transplanted engine then the clio might be better.

It doesn't matter!!! Make your own bloody mind up. Say's he who can't decide on anything.

Seen Paz's Clio (works for Fast Car - modded by mynheer) - fuckin mental. Should have got them to do my Nova. Though it's better doing it myself. And it looks nuts anyway. Still.....what if.....?

Dave_Hay
19-06-02, 11:21 PM
so your not from new york then?? y bother saying u r :?

lol sorry totally not related to post but i was bemused

dave.gsi
19-06-02, 11:39 PM
personnally i think paz's clio is a pile of poo! it looked so much better b4 he went mental on it.

scary steves mx5 is lookin pretty sweet though...........airbags anyone? give it a year an we'll all be usin them. i know i wouldn't mind some.

anyway, back to the point.. i'd take the nova cos clio's are a girls car. it also has less potential for tuning and transplants and the panels are made of tin foil

Ian
19-06-02, 11:43 PM
some clios have plastic wings :o

dave.gsi
20-06-02, 12:04 PM
exactly, u don't want to be leaving them out in the sun to long 8)

Anonymous
21-06-02, 12:56 PM
Those mods wouldnt give 50bhp

Chip

Dicko
21-06-02, 05:16 PM
a mate of mine had a clio 1.8 16v (j-plate)
he had a decat pipe which he inssited gave him massive power gains, then a magnex system+box. jetex induction kit, and a unichip.
it was rollin roaded at 155bhp which i saw with my own eyes, sisne then he's had fast road cams in and says it got over 160bhp on the rollers but i aint actually seen the evidence.

so 170 is possible, but i doubt it with the mods he has

Anonymous
21-06-02, 05:54 PM
250bhp in normally aspirate form is easily possible from those engines with a bit of money spent on it, but thats not really the point here i guess.

The clio in standard form is a pretty rapid car, but not close to a XE powered nova, which is lighter and more powerful.

Even the williams isnt as fast as the valver nova.

Chip

wisewood
24-06-02, 12:17 PM
So bvasically - NO - his car is not gonna be 170 bhp... possibly 150 - but not 170.... that'll do me.

Now i know that a little more surely - I may pay for him to have it rolling roaded... so i can laugh in his face afterwards.