PDA

View Full Version : Help with CLET engine(s)

Martin
10-10-07, 08:38 AM
So Guys and Girls...

i need you help/advice..

I want to put an LET into my nova (i know what bits i needs etc)

but the help i need is on finding/choosing the right donor car/engine

what should i be looking out for say if i bought a CallyT how can i tell if the turbos smoking(i kno it sounds like a simple question) but i dont realy have to mucho experence with turbos...

what else is there to look out for?

and how much should i pay?

Asmusing ive got a good engine, now i want to tune it.

whats the best ways of getting 300bhp?

Phase2, decent FMIC,XE inlet cam?

Anything else you guys could tell me would be great..

also should i do the extra work to fit an F28 or will a F20 be fine?

Cheers martin

Jeff16v
10-10-07, 09:14 AM
I got a late turbo lump from a print car running phase 2, i dropped the FMIC and went for a standard hidden one till i get a custom made, but if you get the whole kit just sell the bits you don't want. I paid ?1200 for everything, engine,box, shafts, hubs, brakes, loom. the engine had done 5k after a rebuild, but prices have come down a little bit since then as know one wants to spend that kind of money running up to xmas. They guy i got it from even drove it to london from Norwich for ?50.

I fitted the engine on my own without any previous experience with the big blocks, even the wiring wasn't that bad. its easier to do now days as lots have already done it and had the problems. i didn't get an F20 or F28 box though. F20 goes in no probs, F28 requires a bit more work and if you can weld is worth it. I'm going to go for an F20 as they easy to fit and cheap to replace. It took me about 5 days from start to finish.

PS: if you want over 300bhp its easy with the Turbo lump, MVAUX do a kit for around ?600. I think Rob was running 500+

Martin
10-10-07, 09:21 AM
Cheers mate.. i can weld wil be do my own bay with strenghing ktis etc..

I just want a realiable 300bhp as it wil be an everyday car..

maybe later on in the year(o8) i mite pump up the power

novacraig
10-10-07, 09:35 AM
mvaux is down at the monment so no goin on there for a while

blue_peg_16v
10-10-07, 09:39 AM
id go for a calibra not a cav as they are usualy cheaper, im going to be running an f20 on mine for ease realy as im lazy lol
mines got a phase 3 kit with front mounted cooler and i have a print out from when it was in the calibra for 298bhp.
give use a shout if you need a hand fitting it mate

hendrix
10-10-07, 09:51 AM
off topic here but you dont still have the cally interior do you??

Martin
10-10-07, 10:10 AM
id go for a calibra not a cav as they are usualy cheaper, im going to be running an f20 on mine for ease realy as im lazy lol
mines got a phase 3 kit with front mounted cooler and i have a print out from when it was in the calibra for 298bhp.
give use a shout if you need a hand fitting it mate

sounds good to me mate wil let you know when i find one:thumb:

Lee H
10-10-07, 10:27 AM
Wouldn't bother with an F20 at that power, will be changing it monthly. If you can weld the F28 isn't difficult to fit.

Power wise, phase 2 seems most reliable and makes about 280bhp with a FMIC, standard turbo doesn't really like doing much more than that and wouldn't last long and it will be plenty fast enough with 280bhp anyway.

Sign of a knackered turbo is bluey/white smoke from the exhaust that smells really bad. Will usually do it on hot idle.

hendrix
10-10-07, 10:30 AM
...sounds a bit like my zlet lol altho I think the stench may be the cat as there is no smoke

Martin
10-10-07, 10:36 AM
...sounds a bit like my zlet lol altho I think the stench may be the cat as there is no smoke

that things ready for evas pmsl..

my offer still stands on it mate:thumb:

hendrix
10-10-07, 10:54 AM
ur not having it for 2 grand and then striping it out!!!! lol 4k and we'll maybe talk :thumb:
So annoying having it sat there not being able to drive it again though and not having the foggyest idea A) How I'm gonna pay to fix it again B)Why the exhaust is STILL blowing at the manifold. Bag O'sh*t!

Stuart
10-10-07, 11:33 AM
the more recent LET's have a habit of craking their manifold.... VXR upgrade time as its cheaper than the std one lol

hendrix
10-10-07, 11:38 AM
sorry martin for post hijack....
I assume they will fit the zlet turbo fine too??

Adam
10-10-07, 01:05 PM
EVO5 chips(more boost than Ph2), FMIC, fuel pressure/injector change
Will be fine for 280-300bhp.

Thats about the max that the KKK can take.

Martin
10-10-07, 09:41 PM
ur not having it for 2 grand and then striping it out!!!! lol 4k and we'll maybe talk :thumb:
So annoying having it sat there not being able to drive it again though and not having the foggyest idea A) How I'm gonna pay to fix it again B)Why the exhaust is STILL blowing at the manifold. Bag O'sh*t!

For the Umteenth time its thats rear gearbox mount its like well ****ed init:thumb: