PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

Mossop_29
19-06-02, 02:23 PM
hi, my nova 1.3 SR doesnt seem to start up. all the lights come on(on dash) i turn the key the first 2 clicks then where it normally fires NOTHING HAPPENS :( but it just doesnt start..i have never had this problem before. any ideas
thanks alot
mossop

ade
19-06-02, 11:19 PM
sure you've checked basics like battery, battery cables, connections to starter motor, earths etc, fuel in tank...

Other than that what happens when you turn key - does it make any attempt to turn? Do you get a pathetic click click (the starter solenoid moving) or what?

If nothing my guyss is not enough juice in battery - try jump starting it.

Ade
:roll:

?Marty?
19-06-02, 11:36 PM
Do the lights dim when you turn the key? That would be an indication of a dud battery.

Happened to me once. I was runnin' from the wes'side Crips on the streets of LA, jumped into my trusty Nova but the beeeach wouldn't start. Had to get the hood up to investigate before them bad-boys bust a cap in my ass. I fixed it real good and was able to roll wit dem homies once again. Aint no lie!

Anyway, once it was the earth strap (look under the passenger side arch) and once the ignition switch itself burned out and wouldn't connect on the third clik.

BIG PIMPIN'!

neiloakley
19-06-02, 11:50 PM
With the earth strap (gear box to inner n/s arch), if it is slightly loose, when you try and start, it can form an oxide layer between the strap and the body which insulates it so no electricity can flow. So even if you tighten it up it may not work. Take it off and use wire brush or glass paper and clean it all up. Do the same with the earth strap from the battery to the firewall. Take it off at both ends and clean up. I had same prob once and i did this and it fixed it.

Prob was, i did the earth strap bolt up so tight i ripped the thread out the hole so i had to weld the f&^%ing strap on. Still, all works dandy now though

Hope this helps

Dave_Hay
19-06-02, 11:56 PM
im presuming ur getting fuel into engine?? disconnect a fuel line from pump and see the petrol spew out lol.

if petrols coming though nicely it can either be timing or ignition thats fooked. check dizzy cap/rotor first and if rotor is clean and firing on first cylinder (one nearest pump) them timings fooked :O

hth

Mossop_29
20-06-02, 06:25 PM
LOL...ill try that mate...cheers for all your help guys ill check it and get back to ya
thanks again