PDA

View Full Version : Shafts

tom_beverley
09-10-07, 09:23 AM
I've got myself in a muddle about this so here goes:

To run my wide track kit I need to use Astra or Vectra F10/13 compatible drive shafts. I've got a SCCR F10 box, Tran X diff (although it does not have large side gears, can these be purchased and fitted?) and standard hubs.

a) Which CV's will I use?
b) Would it be necessary/advisable to buy modded hubs?
c) Can I use this opportunity to change to the motorsport shafts?
d) Can someone explain the equal length driveshaft pros/cons and can this be applicable here?
e) Anything else?

Thanks for the help,

tom_beverley
10-10-07, 07:48 PM
Anyone with a bit of expertise in this area?

carls nova sri
10-10-07, 08:00 PM
wouldn't corsa shafts be long enough just a thought thats all

tom_beverley
10-10-07, 08:02 PM
No, they need to be Astra or Vectra ones I'm told by Clark Motorsport (who fabricated the wide track kit)

Adam
10-10-07, 08:04 PM
What outer hubs are you using?
Nova ones?

If so, just astra shafts(small block), with nova outers fitted?

Ste L
10-10-07, 08:10 PM
No, they need to be Astra or Vectra ones I'm told by Clark Motorsport (who fabricated the wide track kit)

corsa's have basically the same track as a astra/cav/calibra as you can use the equal lengh setup on corsa's with out modding

equal lengh's will help get the power down better

tom_beverley
10-10-07, 08:11 PM
Yes just standard Nova ones. I fancy going to the motorsport shafts and upgrading the hubs aswell though

EDIT which parts will I need to run equal driveshafts?

Ste L
10-10-07, 08:15 PM
equal lengh's will only fit a big block box...

t45_ste
10-10-07, 09:34 PM
He's got the large side gears so equal length shafts will fit. They normally use equal length shafts to eliminate torque steer.

(on a side note, i cant believe how similar our projects are tom!! i think the only difference is yours is a van!!)

Lee H
11-10-07, 01:32 PM
Is there anywhere to bolt the equal length shaft bracket to on a small block lump?

Philsutton
11-10-07, 07:18 PM
use corsa ones

Clean 2.0 nova
11-10-07, 09:06 PM
Pros of equal length shafts is to reduce 'torque steer' and probably a few other small issues. It's not worth fitting - if even possible for the little gain. You get more fun out of the car under acceleration when it's snaking all over the place :D IMO. Unless it's just mine thats knackerd :eek: .