PDA

View Full Version : want to tune a gsi engine

adzgsi
08-10-07, 10:35 PM
after some advice!
I have a gsi engine and im not sure which route to take
i was thinking getting the block bored out larger but where do i locate pistons?
also can i get uprated big end/crankshaft cap bolts to allow higher reving?
want to put a uprated cam in but which is best (i still want the car to idle)
will 2.0l 8v injectors fit my fuel pressure rail and will they make any difference.

any advice welcome thanks .adam

Stuart
08-10-07, 10:37 PM
decide if you want to keep the injection or to go the carb route.

If you take the injection route do you want to keep the std management or go aftermarket (can be done cheap with megasquirt)

answer these and we can continue :)

Adam
08-10-07, 10:38 PM
To fit a worthwhile cam, you need either mappable management, or twin carbs, so you can get the fueling/ignition correct.
2L 8v injectors will just flood your engine if standard.

ARP rod bolts, with a standard crank will allow 7k ish revs.

stuartyj21
08-10-07, 10:42 PM
with mine i got head skimmed,port and polished head and lightened flywheel which has made agood difference. as for the injectors i put redtop ones in mine and they just drowned the car, so put original injectors back in. dont no about the 2.0 8v ones though!!!!

Stuart
09-10-07, 08:42 AM
... KNOW not no! FFS

how much power did a lightened flywheel add? ;)

Adam
09-10-07, 04:28 PM
Lol.
Pointless porting/polishing the head on a standard gte imo. The ports on my Sri head were quite good, had hardly any cast marks etc on.
Only really worth doing when the engines quite a high spec.

stuartyj21
09-10-07, 09:33 PM
ah well im happy with it.. good throttle response with the flywheel though!!!

Philsutton
09-10-07, 09:38 PM
i was thinking getting the block bored out larger but where do i locate pistons?

money thrown away unless the bores are fooked

adzgsi
09-10-07, 09:42 PM
i want to stick with the engine injection as its a good solid system im running an induction kit,compleete stainless and 4 branch,
i have a spare engine and fly wheel so i want to strip it down and do somethin a bit special to this unit. you mentioned megasquirt what is this???
and what bhp do you think is possible. arp bolts sound a good idea still. thanks adam

adzgsi
09-10-07, 09:43 PM
okey dokey ill just stick new rings in for good measure then.thanks

Stuart
09-10-07, 09:54 PM
you have a standard engine at the moment (induction kit and exhaust do nothing at that stage)

Megasquirt is a cheap standalone engine management system (google it)

you can easily get the same kind of performance as T40's from the injection setup but you need to change the ECU to mappable/standalone setup.

rednova
09-10-07, 10:28 PM
interested in this thread - as I'd like to modify my engine more in the next year - ive also got a gsi lump but im running twin 40s have a 4 branch and full system, what cam/ headwork is recommended?

Adam
09-10-07, 10:35 PM
Ast2/bp300 is good for all round use.
Headwork, just smoothing the cast marks, matching the manifolds etc.

adzgsi
10-10-07, 10:33 PM
hi ive just looked at mega squirt and the website looks like a mine field do you have any idea of price and what i should expect from this upgrade . thanks adam

Stuart
10-10-07, 10:54 PM
?250ish from most uk suppliers. it will do what DTA/MBE/Emerald etc do... its a mappable ecu that is calibrated to meet your engines needs (unlike a stuperchip)