PDA

View Full Version : traders policys and the like?

20SEHnova
05-10-07, 10:31 PM
insuring a 1.0 micra say with one of these types of policys and then driving a big car like say a subaru on a traders policy. can someone explain how people get away with this method to me because i dont understand how people are doing it. my mate said hes insured on a 1.1saxo but drives his v6 cally third party on his insurers because the cally is in someone elses name but isnt actually insured, only third party when he drives it.:confused::tard:;)

Jack
06-10-07, 09:56 AM
Traders policies are FOR traders, so having one for private use is a tad dodgy.

Your friend probably has a drive any car policy, but how old is he? Usually they're only for 25+, and would probably work out more expensive than having a policy on the V6. It used to be the case that most Fully Comp policies alowed you drive another car third party, but this is very rare these days for the exact reason you posted (people insuring cheap cars then driving fast cars as an alternative).

Another clause is the other car, i.e. the V6, has to have at least third party insurance in someone else's name for his to cover it - you can't use it on a car which doesn't have its own insurance held by another person .

Ste L
06-10-07, 10:36 AM
you dont technicaly have to be a trader, to get trade insurance...

Mike
06-10-07, 11:07 AM
you can get a trader policy at 21, but its not as cheap as you think :think:

rdznova16v
06-10-07, 02:27 PM
a lad i know has traders and he,s only 19, he pays ?1800, he can drive cars with a value up to ?6000 i think? only thing he cant drive imports or some sports cars untill he is 21.

ben lee
06-10-07, 08:57 PM
traders only covers you to drive it. once its parked up comes under the owners incurance if its not inscured by anyone else it has no incureance then.

20SEHnova
07-10-07, 03:45 PM
but if the vechical isnt parked on the street then legally it doesnt need insurance does it? like if its left off road on a drive.

welsh_roadrally
07-10-07, 09:56 PM
If you have a 'driving other vehicles' extension on your policy (usually only fully comp policy's and if your over 25) then you can drive a vehicle that is INSURED BY A THIRD PARTY and be covered third party on your own insurance.
It does not mean that you can drive any car third party aslong as it belongs to someone else!,the car has to be insured.
I'm 26 and i've got a traders policy,i'm covered for 'Any motor vehicle belonging to the policy holder or in his custody';)

Iain
07-10-07, 10:55 PM
but if the vechical isnt parked on the street then legally it doesnt need insurance does it? like if its left off road on a drive.

AFAIK you only need a valid tax disc to be on the road, not insurance.

Ste L
09-10-07, 10:58 PM
yep dont need insurance to have a car park on a road, just tax..

matt1chelski
15-10-07, 10:15 PM
I think quinn direct have TPO on any car, even if like me, my policy is only TPFT!!

ANDYRACER
16-10-07, 07:22 PM
AFAIK you only need a valid tax disc to be on the road, not insurance.

Wrong, my bro got 6 points for it.