PDA

View Full Version : Help please, rotten chassis legs

Christ
05-10-07, 08:46 PM
Ok my back chassis legs where the spring seats are is rotten, is this repairable?

would the best way to fix it be to cut a solid one from a nova in a scrappy and weld it in place or make a new one up from box section?

The spring has pushed itself up inside the chassis leg, I cant understand how it would have passed an mot like that.

how much is someone likely to charge or is it more likely they would just say no because its such a **** job.

carls nova sri
05-10-07, 08:50 PM
yes best way to do this is go to scrapy and cut some decent ones out as for price don't no

Christ
05-10-07, 08:55 PM
Ok mate thanks, so I should buy a battery grinder/stihl saw!

Is it the kind of job a local garage would do?

Mike
05-10-07, 08:57 PM
*cough*re-shell*cough*

:thumb:

carls nova sri
05-10-07, 08:59 PM
*cough*re-shell*cough*

:thumb:

that would be the easier option

Christ
05-10-07, 09:00 PM
haha I really didnt want you to say that... New someone would though! I dont mind spending a few hundred on it to get it welded if it wil get another years ticket on it.

Mike
05-10-07, 09:00 PM
^ oh yes!

I spent a few weeks welding the front of my old SR back together, just to find out the rear chassis legs were fudged lol

tom reid
05-10-07, 09:17 PM
Fabricate and weld into place the new saddles would cost about ?300.00 at a garage that takes on this kind of work, if thats all it is, generally there is peripheral damage to be repaired as well.

Christ
05-10-07, 09:23 PM
ok thanks mate, my first job i think is to book an MOT and see what exactly it all fails on, see what I can do myself etc.

bump
06-10-07, 12:10 AM
Buy a welder and learn, it isn't a visable job so doesn't need to be pretty, just strong.
IMO it will be cost prohibitive to get it done at a garage, so what better time to learn!

craig green
07-10-07, 12:21 PM
Mine went in the same way a few years back, not drastic. A mate of mine repaired it on my Driveway for beer money. Took about an hour.

I have seen them go really bad though & the spring actually comes up through the boot floor!

Heres a pic showing the repair some time after it was done.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/RustyNovaPics/2ndpics006.jpg

Its a shame I scrapped my Luxe+ last week, as that had a solid boot floor, rear chassis legs & spring saddles. Should have cut them out, if I had the time.

muzzy
14-10-07, 07:27 PM
iv put a deposit down on this car now so i need to work out the best way to repair it. i have a nova gte shell sitting waiting to go to scrap, it has solid rear chassis legs, boot floor etc so would i be best off cutting all the rust out of the old ones on the SR and measuring it up then cutting them off the GTE and welding them on?

One side on the SR is alot worse than the other, the spring is pretty much sitting inside the chassis leg itself and the passengers side is going the same way lol

I know i could reshell it but i want to save this one!