PDA

View Full Version : Rusty K reg Nova

Spacemonkey
18-06-02, 03:25 PM
:roll: hi I just bought a 1.4i merit + in white and it seems to have a new front end but the in the back of the wings(unpainted,treated) is still the standard metal paint black colour,like when u buy them brand new and its seem they have began to rust and spread to the outer side of the wings, if i get the car outside repainted again, what can i do stop the back of wing from rusting if left unpainted? underseal it?

Also the bottom of my arches on the rear, near the sills are pretty rotton but the top lip is fine is it better to just grind off the bit?

Its looks like a complete shed of a car but hopefully it will turn into a butterfly, just as well i got new doors lol

Ta

Toby
18-06-02, 05:59 PM
Um,

Well it basicly sounds like you bought your car in the same way I bought my first nova - At night in the rain.

When you say its had a new front end, I assume you mean someone has put some new front wings on it and only painted one side. If they have rusted straight through, you may as well go and buy some patern parts for about 25 quid each. There is a company called imperial panels on the internet that sells them (both MK1 and MK2) http://www.sel-imperial.co.uk/ Not used them but it all looks good enuf.

When you get the new panels, just get em sprayed an treated at a body shop. Probably cost you about 80 quid for the lot (panels + painting) I would advise some sort of underseal on the reverse of the panels.

Rust near the front of the arch at the bottom is common, it happens when you drive novas without mud flaps. All the cack from the road gets flung into the recess there and rots away at it. Cheap option : gently rub it back with abrasives, treat it and get it sprayed/blended in again. - Expensive option, goto bodyshop and get them 2 do it.

Hope this helps a bit

Spacemonkey
19-06-02, 08:54 AM
Yea that helps a lot :) but as for the rear arches , there is non of the original lip left to sand it is just pure rust.

lol quite close actually lol i bought mines without even looking @ it , oh well i like a challenge lol

Toby
19-06-02, 05:51 PM
If you read the edition of Total Vauxhall with the mint green nova on the cover, there is an article on an Astra that the TV team are doing up. They skim over the process of welding in replacement rear arches - maybe worth a quick read in the local supermarket. You can get those for about the same as the front from the same place.

ade
19-06-02, 11:06 PM
if u are reparing rusty parts yourself whatever you do make sure you get rid of ALL the rust. Sounds daft but even the smallest bit will come back with a vengence! Make sure you treat the entire cleaned area to some rust inhibitor, then get it sealed with a proper primer (either a body shop or use etch primer). This will seal the bare metal ready for primer, smoothing and then paint.

If your rear arches have rusted - depending on how bad you may have enough metal to buld it up with fibreglass/reinforced with aluminium mesh - ifg not u will need new arch panels - if you've never welded before get done properly - it'll save u money in the long run.
Hope the rest of yer car's ok - one hell of a chance buying a 1.4i without checking over 1st (wots the engine like???) :|
Ade

Spacemonkey
20-06-02, 08:28 AM
starts oks no strange nosies coming from it, but theres a lot of oil every where i think the rocker cover gasket has gone but i also found oil in the air filter box????, i think the tapits need realinged,

cornish
20-06-02, 11:49 AM
Zinc Primer is meant to be excellent for sealing as an undercoat - a bit more expensive but maybe worth a try?

ade
20-06-02, 12:43 PM
its good but try n get it in spray format rather than paint on (unless using it in concealed hidden areas where no one can see yer paint brush marks).