PDA

View Full Version : building a cheap rally car?

greg1.4
04-10-07, 12:48 PM
hello, i am thinking about building a corsa rally car for single venue events and maybe some forest rallies later on.

i have the chance of a corsa shell with a full safety devices weld in cage, wrc axle stand mounts in sill, seam welded, strengh plates etc..

what kind of spec do i need for a basic/1st rally car. i want the car to be competitive but i am on a tight budget..

i could also get a corsa gsi donar car for engine/steering, dash etc etc..

what would you advise to have on it?

anyone with a nova/corsa rally car, please list the spec and what things you think i should do.

cheers,
Greg

Stuart
04-10-07, 12:50 PM
get an MSA blue book and read it :)

greg1.4
04-10-07, 12:56 PM
i am not after what things i need for regs etc..i wan to know what kind of spec a cheap but competitive car would be?

do i need a quick rack, fancy gearbox etc etc. what bits break on them that i should upgrade?

Greg

Adam
04-10-07, 01:13 PM
Depends what class your entering in?
If under 1400cc, Suzuki swift engine is the way to go.

Stuart
04-10-07, 01:38 PM
You need to spend a few events looking round peoples cars and looking at the classes really.

ie on a budget you have NO chance in the 2000cc and 1600cc classes really. the 1400's are getting a bit tricky thesedays too.

greg1.4
05-10-07, 09:16 AM
You need to spend a few events looking round peoples cars and looking at the classes really.

i have been since i have been about 6 years old...

i could get a swift engine with the corsa shell and have thought about doing this.i fancy a 1400 16v vauxhall though.

Greg

Will F
05-10-07, 10:09 AM
i have been since i have been about 6 years old...

i could get a swift engine with the corsa shell and have thought about doing this.i fancy a 1400 16v vauxhall though.

Greg

So what is 'cheap'?

To get a competitive 1400 16v, you are looking at approx 4-5k

tom_beverley
05-10-07, 10:12 AM
Plus the swift engine is 100bhp standard, no brainer really.

strcnova
05-10-07, 11:00 AM
Cheap Rallying!!!!!
You have to be kidding!!!

I have a 1600 nova gte and i bought the whole car ready to go for 3grand!!
over the past year and upto and including the Tour of Mull next week have spent another 5 grand!!!!!

This has made me hopefully competitive and reliable.
Its only a 1600 8v but things done to are never ending. You can do what did last year and compete and finish all the rallies which in some cases better than being fast as a lot of cars that are fast are not reliable. I did the events last year and finished 7th overall and won the 1600cc class in the scottish tarmac championship by just going out and finishing.

This year is pure development year.

What have i done.
Better brakes and pads fitted (astra 16v calipers and mintex pads)
Coilover front suspension with the right springs!!!
adjustable rear shocks and right springs
Strengthen the car as best you car because it will take a huge hammering
remove items that are not needed.
Work on the car as much as you can to get the car to stop and handle as best you can as this can impove the car more than getting more horse power. If you can keep the car stable and not lose momentum through corners this is a big improvement as having loads of power and not be able to put it down and use it is pointless.
I have only just got a proper rally engine built for this event as over the last couple events i have now got the car handling spot on where i can corner harder and faster and stop quicker and under control.

Just think about what your doing and get the best you can afford.
Being compitive on a budget is never going to be easy. but get out there ad do the events and have fun. the speed and competitveness will come with time and money.

LUV2XLR8
08-10-07, 03:09 PM
if you want cheap rallying you cant expect to be competative, just go out to have fun, why not do road rallying, its the cheapest form of rallying.
a good gearbox, brakes and suspension.
if that corsa shell is what you say it is then just spend about another 2-3 k on it and it shout be a bit of fun

Bouch
08-10-07, 11:26 PM
The best way to start out chap is to keep it basic.

Treat it as a long term project so that you can save up, learn your craft, find out what you "do" need to replace/upgrade on the car and have fun at the same time.

As Stuart said, read the blue book and follow it. Thats the most important thing because firstly, its there for your safety and secondly, you'd be really p1ssed off if you turned up at your first rally and the car fails scrutinnering.

Use a standard engine. A Corsa GSi lump is a good place to start. Not to wild and not to slow. It's a cracking basis for upgrading in the future and you don't have to do much to it(ARP rod bolts-?50) to make it a strong little donkey.

Yes upgrade the brakes, but again, keep it simple.
Keep the standard rear drums, because once you strip out the car, the ar5e will be so light under braking that you won't want anymore stopping power at the rear.
As for the front, go for the Astra/Cav setup which is more that enough to start with, although I will say invest in a set of race pads(mintex 1155, etc) as standard pads will only last a stage.

Obviously strip the car of all unnessesary weight(seats, trim, carpet, deadening etc).
Also nows the time(while the shell is stripped) to strenghten it. It just depends on whether you or a mate is handy with a welder.

Another thing that is a must is to move you brake and fuel lines into the car. The underneath of the car can get a right hiding, even on a tarmac event.
It's not that expensive to do. You can use copper pipe as opposed to super duper braided stuff.

I hope this helps.

greg1.4
09-10-07, 11:50 AM
thanks alot Bouch..

think i a going to give the corsa shell a miss and buy a nova/corsa ready to roll.saves time and money.

cheers for the help guys.
Greg